Discuss your Opinion!

Sign in to follow this  

But, Helio... that trust issue is going to poison any relationship... As long as you retain that kind of paranoia - there is a very little chance you will be able to hold a relationship.

You can and should be cautious in the beginning, of course, but you must always give your counterpart the benefit of the doubt. Presumption of honesty and not the other way round.

Regards

That's why I don't think I'm fit for a romantic relationship. I'm much more trusting of purely platonic relationships like friendships than I do of romantic relationships. I find that being in a romantic relationship would expose me at my most weakest moments and thus I could easily be taken advantage of. I have built a mental castle with a gate with which I only let in the people I trust the most. That doesn't mean I'll be taking down that castle to let more people in though.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

If you're wanting a relationship, then you need to work to tear down the walls. If you don't really want a relationship, then you don't have to have one, though it tends to make people crotchety when they get old, like one of my grand uncles. I think he had 10 people at his funeral, (not one tear shed among them) and his own sister who was the closest person to him told family members that she "didn't want to bother them" with the fact that he died. (if you don't mind that, then that's your prerogative, and I won't judge)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

#32 Vigilantism

So lately I've been doing this philosophical exercise in my head. It goes something like this a man murders another man. But the murdered man in question is comparable to Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin in terms of how many atrocities he has committed. Now obviously the former man would be sentenced to life in prison as murder is illegal. But was he morally wrong to murder this person? If society absolutely despised the murdered man because the amount of atrocities he committed would the murderer be absolved of his crimes on a moral basis? When he's dead would the murderer be possibly considered as a Martyr for killing another Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin by his society?

This really isn't a discussion on my opinion as haven't come to a conclusion on this. But I would like to hear other people's thoughts.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I honestly think all life should be preserved as much as possible... Death is irreversible, so we shouldn't end it without a VERY good reason. However, if it's someone who has proven that they will repeat their murderous actions if ever released, and have a tendency towards escaping, then death may be the only reasonable course of action available. (an unrepentant murderer wouldn't fit this category, even a mass murderer, if they never escape from prison)

I don't accept death sentence as a concept. I'm okay with people being killed in the heat of the monent during the arrest, for example, but not deliberately after the fact. I do not think anyone in the governing establishement has the moral right to make a life and death decision. They are simply unworthy... But that is a digression on my part, sorry.

Well, I am also categorically against vigilantism. History shows that assassinations only cause more people to be killed and even worse replacements take over the seat of power. Hitler or Stalin - they both are just cogs in the machine. The society as a whole was embracing them or at least tolerating them and until that society hasn't changed its mind - nothing can really be done about it at the level of individuals.

So - vigilantes - they are simply terrorists, misguided and doomed to failure, always strengthening the regime they are supposedly acting against, causing more repressions and oppression. It was true in the Ancient Rome and in the Soviet Union and it is equally true in the modern UK or US.

Regards

Vapy, what you fail to realize is that many vigilantes don't kill their foes, they merely incapacitate them for the authorities to apprehend. These vigilantes I fully support if they bother to do the research needed to determine who is really guilty.

One of the fundamental problems that faces the question of vigilantism is the hoary old problem of differentiating morals from ethics, as the two are often confused for one another by less discerning contributors to the argument. A vigilante's actions typically stems from a moral stance informed by their own personal and communal ideas of right and wrong, i.e. "I think this person deserves to die/go to jail/be punished/etc", though conversely an ethical vigilante may justify an identical action according to a studied application of principles, i.e. "this person is accountable for their conduct, they ought to die/go to jail/be punished/etc". There is a reason that ethics are often called the "science of morality". We almost mustn't confuse vigilantism with outright assassination as the outcome of the former is nebulously defined until it's undertaken, whereas the latter's intention (regardless of outcome) is unequivocal.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Now see, when you talk about vigilantism, I think of movies like Taxi Driver or Death Wish, where one guy takes it upon himself to go out and kill gangbangers or muggers. While I'm not sure if those kinds of people deserve to be killed, I'm not going to shed a tear over their deaths, because they're actively making the lives of good people hell.

Hey, I finally updated the contents list on the main post. XD So neglected... poor thing.

Subject #33: Personality Types

Do you think society would benefit from embracing them more? Or do better without?

For the past few months I've heavily been into the whole personality types thing, specifically the 16 MBTI types. I still am semi-ish, but I realise how addicted I became to it and I'm trying to steer myself away from it now.

But I've had thoughts. Some people encourage you to put your personality type on your resume and such, or to tell your employer your personality type in hopes that you will be more likely to be hired. But is this really fair?

To be honest, if jobs and careers depended a lot on your personality type, I would be upset. XD

Some workplaces do not condone the whole sharing your personality type thing, others embrace it. What do you think?

I could go into more details but not right now, it's midnight. lol

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

This is an interesting question. I used to completely ignore this until you got me to look into it some months ago. I can't say I've become obsessed but I was surprised how accurately these 4 letters can give a snapshot of a person't overall temperament.

I still think there is much more to personality and character than just a rigid type but I think it gives a very important insight into the fabric of our society.

As for typing people for work? Well, that's what the job of a manager has been all about for millenia - only maybe not as formalised :-) More art than calculation - to select teams where you can avoid unnecessary conflicts and use different traits to the overall advantage...

I would not go as far as selecting candidates by their types - no, that would be short-sighted and primitive. But knowing a person's type may give the manager or a colleague just enough guidance to know how to deal with them, what reaction to anticipate, how to ask for help, what motivation to use when giving a task to perform - that kind of thing.

But care will be needed as it is all too easy to slips into blind dumb discrimination... People need to be taught what it all means before given these tool to handle...

Regards

I do think that personality types should be used far more than they currently are, as it makes it incredibly difficult for some of us to get jobs when the employers are expecting a far more common personality type. If those common types were to act like I do in an interview, they would be extremely undesirable for employment in most jobs.

Pretty close to my opinion on respect as well, though I don't see how this applies to the topic.

Well the opinion discussion has been structured in numbered subjects so... yeah.

I mean I guess we could keep rolling with this. Probably shouldn't switch them too fast.

Subject #34: Respect

I've always gone by the personal rule of everyone gets the same level of respect unless influenced otherwise whether it's positive or negative. This is why first impressions are so important to me because that "default" respect is very easy to manipulate and bad first impressions are often hard to fix.

Not to say a bad first impression can't be fixed or that a good first impression will stick.

Retired Forum Moderator

I feel like I killed this thread with my interruption, and for that, I'm sorry.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Hey, I could tottaly agree with Markiplier as well on this.

I could add that I really hate that when people forces or expect respect from you. Of course, there are some situations that you gotta respect someone from start, but I have a little temper towards someone who should be respected but acts like a tottaly ass. Being a dick to people really makes me angry and then I tend to argue and get into fights... I simply don't like it when someone is acting like they are better than others...

IMO Respect can be earned or just assumed from start but then it should be kept, and the person who is ment to be respected (like teacher, parent ect) should do things that will show he's worth the respect from others. But really he doen't need to do anything special, just simply not be a dick out of sudden...

What do you think?

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

All I can say about respect is that respect is something you really have to earn, and it's gonna be a worthwhile grind.

Subject #35: Fraud

I'm referring the clusterfuck that was the Fyre festival. I thought it was so bad, it put most Kickstarter/Indiegogo frauds to shame. The ludicrousness of it all, (Island owned by Pablo Escobar? I'd believe them if they said it was an airport) the price of tickets ranging from thrice the amount of my tuition fee up to the national debt of a small country, and the fact that people actually paid big money for what turned out to be a "refugee camp experience" (complete with sandwich) made me wonder: Are people really that easy to scam?

I'm now under the impression that most of the young and well-off forgot to invest in some logical thinking, and instead are willing to throw money to the window for stuff just to drive the point that they're loaded.

Any thoughts on this? I'm still reading up on this fiasco as updates come.

Welp, now what?

#36: Mental Illness

This really goes back to a pretty heated discussion in the discord earlier, but I've ALWAYS believed that if you have no perspective on what it's like living with any given mental issue, be it from knowing someone who does suffer from that illness or being someone who suffers yourself, then your input is ultimately worthless and is better off kept to yourself. The way the human mind works, you often can't accurately put in to words how or what you're feeling, and you certainly can't determine how someone else's mind works or how they think or feel since every brain is so dramatically different from one another. I feel like if everyone just took this simple advice to heart then there would probably be an improvement in how society treats mentally ill people and trans people, and hell, just how people treat each other in general. If you really wanted to you could probably just write this off as censorship, but it really isn't. Hell, if you wanted, you could share your input as long as you're well aware it's almost meaningless and should be taken with a grain of salt.

the name's riley

@Subject #34:

Haven't watched the video, too lazy to lol But might as well 'discuss my opinion' of it. Coming from an Asian family, I've kind of grown to hate the word 'respect'. Though I value the principle of it, it's just used so differently from culture to culture and I hate especially how Asians treat it.

To me, you respect someone the instant you see them. If someone's talked shit about that person you're with, I'm still going to treat them with respect until they personally do something that would result in me taking away that respect. I do not respect someone JUST because they are older than me and more 'experienced'. I treated my uncle with respect by default until he showed how much of a prick he was. I don't care what he's achieved, if he can't treat people with decent humanity, then I'm not respecting him. Sure it takes hard work to study and get a job, but it also takes hard work to just be a decent person. However, studying, getting a job, making money, that's a need. If you don't do that you're eventually going to starve and die. But being a decent person is not a NEED. It's a want. The people who want to be a good person are the people I respect. It's probably a very unpopular opinion lol But that's okay. And I don't mean respect the 'people who are trying to be good but are actually killing hundreds of people'. I don't mean that type of 'good'. I mean someone who abides by moral code and treats others with kindness.

@Subject #35:

Unfortunately have no idea what the Fyre festival is. >.> So can't comment too much on it. Sounds like a pain in the ass though.

@Subject #36:

Agreed... I was brought up in this strict religious household where (not related to Mental Illness) 'everything gay is bad' and that shit, so obviously with the parental influence I was kind of a dick child. XD But simple education and research goes a looooong way. I judged people without knowing anything about them. But when I got to know them a little more, I find nothing is wrong and nothing was ever wrong.

Mental Illness, once again, without any education or anything, it's so easy to judge. But if someone just takes the time to sit down and listen to people, they'll find out new things and their perspective will change. If you have any form of basic empathy and a willingness to listen, you'll get to know a person and a mental illness quite closely. You won't ever be able to FULLY understand it, not without having experienced the mental illness yourself. But you can still understand plenty.

In Primary School, everyone dissed this one kid for how 'weird' he was. They did this for a few months until finally one day when that kid was absent, our teacher sat us all down and just... EDUCATED us. She told us his condition, why what we're doing hurts him, and that if we want to make him happy, we should acknowledge the fact that he is 'different' and get to know him on a different level than just; "He's an average kid just whining and being a loser".

But of course... you still need an open mind in all of this. I know a few people, where no matter how much information or perspective you try and give them, they'll still think 'they are the best'. Though that could be Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Those kind of people are a little harder to work with. I haven't worked out how to befriend someone with such a disorder. But I'll figure it out. XD

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.