Discuss your Opinion!

Sign in to follow this  

Talking about education, you have to take into account that every country and even state have different schooling styles, and some even have multiple styles.

I personally am incapable of learning in a standard public schooling system in the USA... If I hadn't been allowed to be homeschooled, I wouldn't have been able to get a GED, much less score the highest in the state for the ACT and SAT. School isn't the only place or way to learn.

As for the stress... Consider what happened to me, and then decide if school can be such a massively stressful place. I was bullied for 2 years straight by the son of the district BoD chairman, and the principal blamed me for everything instead of that kid, because he thought that he would get fired if he blamed the actual culprit. It took a new teacher (the first male teacher in over 40 years at that school) to get an honest recounting of who started the fights, and what happened during them. It's extremely uncommon for this to occur. (the teacher coming in and fixing the situation, not the protected bullying, which is extremely common) Stress rarely comes from the schoolwork itself... Usually it's the people, or the teachers that cause it.

As for the schedules, especially comparing to work schedules... I have never even heard of a job that requires you to clock in at 7AM... Plenty at 5/6/8/9 and MANY after noon, but never at 7. (7am is the most common hour for schools in the USA) Jobs have a large range of possible schedules, so employees can choose, schools do not. Schools in the USA also let out the kids at 3PM, (or 3:30 in some states) so their schedules can never line up with their parent's schedules properly. Over all, the scheduling of the schools is moronic. Make them 8 to 5, just like the most common work hours in every country that has an 8-hour workday, instead of this crap schedule. I know that my 2 years of public school were spent sleeping on the way to the school, and possibly during the first few hours of school because of the crappy schedule. (when homeschooled, I got up at 8 with my parents, and never had trouble staying awake after that)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Geez. Over here, schools start at 9am and end at 3pm. X3 It's plenty of time to get up and get ready. And it's the time when a lot of stores open.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

As I said... It entirely depends on the country. (and state)

Agreed, agreed. What would you say has the best education? Which country? X3 In your opinion. I've heard some schools in Europe are pretty good.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Considering that I can't learn in any public school setting, I'd say anywhere that has the option of unrestricted homeschooling has the best. As for the general populace, currently South Korea tops the charts, but I think that's mainly because of the culture there. No clue really, as each country needs a different approach that is tailored to their culture.

Right now the USA culture is that the people in charge (ie, the president, the government, your boss, the teachers, etc.) know more than everyone else; anyone who claims to be an expert, is; science can explain everything right now, and anything it can't is either a hoax or someone not looking at it like a scientist/logically; that the government should be allowed to regulate every aspect of our lives, because they know better than we do what is best for us; despite every politician lying constantly, we should believe them when they say they aren't destroying the country when they do things that violate the US constitution; that because it passed the House and Senate, a bill can't possibly violate the US constitution; and that we are the most powerful, most free, and best country in the world. Right now, there is no school system that I can think of that will work well, at least until a few of these idiotic culturally instilled ideas are removed.

Sorry, got into a bit of a rant about US culture, but it is applicable.

the principal blamed me for everything instead of that kid, because he thought that he would get fired if he blamed the actual culprit.
That is utterly deplorable.
they do things that violate the US constitution
I'd like to read the constitution one day, both with and without the amendments.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I generally have good memories of my school days. I didn't find school stressful at all. Comparing to the rest of my days so far that was a fairly relaxed vacation :)

What I see in the modern UK system though does not look good to me on a number of accounts:

- in my days in Russia, schooling started from the age of 6 or 7; kids didn't need to even be able to read at that point, yet - within the 1st year everyone was reading and writing.

- in the UK they are now introducing mandatory tests for 4 year olds! That is just too damn early. And I'm sure that some children - no matter how hard you drive them won't reach literacy any faster than if they'd started at 7.

- Then tests generally - in the UK schools everyone seem to be constantly doing tests after tests after tests. I fear the kids learn more how to pass these tests than understand what they are actually being taught.

- also the teaching of math and science seems ridiculously primitive and low level compared to what I remember from my school days. The program does not try to explain the big picture of how sciences relate to each other or how formal mathematical logic works - they just go after separate, often politically correct "applied examples" - something about sharing apples and using "green" electricity. This is at the age when I was doing quadratic equations in my time...

So, yeah, I'm concerned whether the Western system is producing young people capable of competing with the rest of the world...

Regards

Quadratics!? I love quadratics! I've always loved Algebra. And math in general. But Trigonometry is my favorite! Although. I do have a complaint. Why homework? XD I hate homework. Mainly because my home is NOT a very comfortable working space. Education can be odd. It does really depend on the country, time, laws, etc. X3 Like BTG said.

-------

I've always loved Algebra.

Check.

But Trigonometry is my favorite!

Check.

I hate homework.

And check, again...

Oh, dear. :lol:

Regards

a^2 = b^2+c^2

Sine, Cosine, and Tangent.

And last but not least:

fO1Vhc88QkM

Or... C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2AB (something) cos(A). It's hard to remember. XD Give me a break. It's the equation you use when you gotta find an angle between two sides. If I remember correctly. XP I only learnt it last week. Hush.

-------

I may be wrong. It's been 5 years since I did maths. Eurgh, 5 years since high school. Two years since College. D:

XD Nonono. You're right. I'm just used to having C^2 at the front. Not an A.

I've just always been taught that C is the longest side. X3 So I roll with it.

-------

You may be right. I guess it depends on what each side is named. Like: Ham^2 = Television^2 + Lawnmower^2

I've always loved Algebra.

Check.

But Trigonometry is my favorite!

Check.

I hate homework.

And check, again...

Oh, dear. :lol:

Regards

One big check covering all this... Unfortunately, I have no current use for mathematics beyond the basics. :cry:

x-pythagorean-theorem-find-algebra.jpg

My favorite answer! :ugeek:

Subject #6 (I don't know what the hell I'm up to, doesn't even matter): What we should do to Anti-Vaccinators

I've learnt from watching the Australian news lately, that they're going to propose a way to try and get Anti-Vaccinators to

vaccine themselves and their children. They're going to do this by cutting income to families that do not have vaccinated children. I'm not sure what income it is exactly, but I know they'll be losing a fair amount of money. They are also not allowed to go on public transport.

I personally don't like this. I agree, people SHOULD get their children vaccinated. But I think there's other ways of going about this. What do you think about this? Should it be changed? Or is it a good idea?

-------

I have to say, I don't plan on vaccinating even close to what any government would want. I refuse to get the flu vaccines for many logical reasons, as well as other vaccines, so technically I am an anti-vaxer... I wouldn't want my income cut because I disagree with the government's opinion of what I should do for my own, or my children's healthcare. (especially since I do more research into the issues and covered diseases concerning vaccines than governments usually do)

It really just boils down to the government trying to control people, and limit their choices and freedom. (both of which I am vehemently against)

It's not so much as those type of vaccines. I'm talking more of like... Hepatitus B and other weird crazy stuff you only hear once in a while. X3

-------

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.