Discuss your Opinion!

Sign in to follow this  

I'd say "truth" is how things really are, when observed by someone with full knowledge of everything.

Because no individual can have full knowledge of everything - any practical truth is an approximation with a certain degree of error. We can apply scientific method to try to minimise the error and increase our confidence that something what we think is true really is but we cannot really know the "absolute" truth.

Binky and I could try to very with BTG whether the transmitted message had the intended meaning, if we thought, for example that this was out of BTG's character and so had reasons to suspect an error. Obviously, judging by our conversation - we did not think it was that much out of character... :lol: We simply thought BTG has turned into a cereal offender!

There is a different problem when people ignore the evidence if it contradicts their existing opinion. We are all suffering from that to some extent but, surely, there must be a line beyond which it becomes a willful denial and not an honest mistake...

Regards

It was a very poor example. XD I'm sorry. A better one would be reading from a text book, and it telling you false information, but you read it and think it as truth because... X3 It's a book. It's supposed to be 100% knowledge and fact (Unless it's a parody/joke/nonfictional book).

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

A better one would be reading from a text book, and it telling you false information, but you read it and think it as truth because... X3 It's a book.

Oh, yes, that happens all the time! Or, worse - the TV :shock:

We are running into the General Election campaign now, in the UK. The amount of lies and disinformation that is coming out of the blue screen is simply amazing.

Regards

And the problem is, people are judged for what they believe is truth. When their natural reaction was just to listen and learn from what they're told. (Sorry for putting religion into this) I grew up in a Christian home, read the Bible. I see it as just 'truth' because I've read it and taken in into detail so many times. Atheists however, are very quick to judge, because they just either... haven't read it themselves, or are too caught up in their truths. None of us are wrong. But the sad thing is people see 'no-truth' as wrong. :I

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

But the sad thing is people see 'no-truth' as wrong. :I

That's because ultimately it's not about abstract truth but is simply a power game. The declared beliefs are only a symbol of allegiance to one group or the other and those who are not with them are against them. But then people who truly believe in something are caught in the middle :-(

Regards

I'd say "truth" is how things really are, when observed by someone with full knowledge of everything.

Agreed.

But the sad thing is people see 'no-truth' as wrong. :I

That's because ultimately it's not about abstract truth but is simply a power game. The declared beliefs are only a symbol of allegiance to one group or the other and those who are not with them are against them. But then people who truly believe in something are caught in the middle :-(

It's extremely unfortunate isn't it. I know I've been guilty of leaning that way on occasion, it's human nature to do so, but I do my best to prevent it from coming out.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Binky the bundle of rice in soup. XP

I think humans by nature, just tend to assume things. Heck, back then, some of us thought that were was just a simple end to the world, and we'd just fall off and die. XD That's what they honestly believed to be true. That was their truth and no one could tell them otherwise. Also, Binky, is your Avatar different because I'm seeing all these words I haven't recognized before. XD Maybe I'm just looking at the gif all at the wrong times.

-------

BTG called me rice

Happy-Rice-903.jpeg

People can throw you at weddings, and Asians and Mexicans want to cook and eat you! (now THAT's an insult!)

some of us thought that were was just a simple end to the world, and we'd just fall off and die.

I have a suspicion some people still believe that...

and Asians and Mexicans want to cook and eat you!

Oh, now we are into the cannibalism territory here :shock:

And, no, I don't want to make any jokes about Scotch eggs! Not me. Never.

Regards

They're going to eat me, eh?

mr-bean.jpg

And, no, I don't want to make any jokes about Scotch eggs! Not me. Never.

5093412+_123aac8b9777fd841b7f67addfb7970c.jpg

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Also, Binky, is your Avatar different because I'm seeing all these words I haven't recognized before. XD Maybe I'm just looking at the gif all at the wrong times.

Same avatar :P There are 77 faces.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Same avatar :P There are 77 faces.

And I listed them all. ;)

Subject #5 - What would you do? You're in a car accident but you're completely okay. However, the other victim is not. The victim is dead. A woman walks up to the dead body and screams; "What have I done??" You swear you thought YOU killed the man, but this woman 100% believes it was her fault.

Do you...

A. Take the blame. Go to jail.

B. Blame it on her. Even though it might have been your fault.

X3 I'm sorry. I would probably blame her. I've already been in a prison for 18 years. No need for more years.

-------

Answer: Console the woman, and do everything to convince her to not blame herself, even if that causes blame to come back to me. Then wait for the police to do their investigation, and find out who/what was really responsible.

Your question leaves out many details, like were any laws broken? If not, then it's a pure accident, and no one is to blame. If laws were broken, which ones, and by whom? This will help determine where the blame lies.

This is a common problem with providing a situation to hear someone's response to it... Details that cover everything are required for a complete answer.

X3 I'm sorry. I knew that at least someone would point out that there'd be more than two answers. XD But I'm saying, if it's strictly either one, what would you choose? A or B?

If there were other options, what would you do? Which is what you've done already. :P And running over a person would be illegal? XP So, there's the crime. She's definitely been run over though.

-------

If that's the only choice - it's A for me :-(

My life taught me that truth eventually does come out. If I did kill the man, I would know that one day things will catch up with me. I'd rather take it now, when it's my decision, than risk this explode at some uncertain point in the future, beyond my control and potentially ruining lives of those who may have become close to me...

Regards

Honestly, I would never put blame on anyone (neither her, or myself) that I don't absolutely know for sure did it, and there were no extenuating circumstances. (if I don't know for sure, blame shouldn't be given) I would do my best to let the facts speak for themselves, even if that results in a worse time for me.

Subject #6 - Education. What would you prefer?

Education we have today I think is actually very good. I mean, compared to ages ago, we've certainly improved. But we're not perfect. One thing people seem to miss is: "Why does school start so early? We're too tired."

X3 Well. What about your work life? Where you run a strict business, gotta be up at those weird hours. I think school is a great way of easing us into that work life. Yes, it can be annoying. But I think it'll make things easier in the future.

Second of all, is school really that stressful? Whenever I've felt stressed, I KNOW it was because of my incompetence to do something. I had it coming. But I have friends ALWAYS complaining about being stressed. Am I missing something?

So yeah, what do you guys think?

-------

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.