ROSS'S TOP 25 MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Here's another video that I thought would be something quick to get out, but ended up ballooning into a project that took as much time as a full length Game Dungeon. In any event, I'm pretty happy with how this came out. This easily has some of the most variety of my videos; you can almost think of it as 25 tiny bite-sized Game Dungeon episodes.

This is a "top video" list, but I tried to keep it interesting throughout. I would say more, but I kind of covered all the biggest points I wanted to in the video itself. While I normally like to avoid dated videos, I felt this one was a little different since I cover so many games even if someone looks at it years from now, there's plenty of good games listed here some might not know about, so it should still have good information for anyone who stumbles upon it. I also feel like this video kind of "exonerates" me from having to talk about new games in the future, since you couldn't ask for more new game coverage from me than this. If you watch this, you'll know about as much as I do.

Also this was my first attempt at using a green screen. It's about as good as I can hope for given my equipment and setup. I actually ended up lowering the resolution of the background a little bit to closer match the picture quality of my camera. I'm still experimenting, but if I have to make another video where I'm standing in front of the camera talking about something, I'll definitely want to do more game backgrounds like this to make it a little more interesting visually.

Anyway, I'm keeping busy, you can expect another video out this month!

- - -

ADHD version: See the new games Ross wants to play the most!

COMMENTS

Well, that was a very good video, Ross!

I would have thought that the neverending exploration in No Man's Sky would beat your hate for the way it looks. It does in my case

Excellent choices nevertheless, with some games I have similar times -2 to 4 years- so I added Firewatch, Riot and We Happy Few (especially this) to the list. Thanks!!

Hey Ross, what Half-Life 2 maps did you use for the background when you were talking?

Good video, at any rate.

Edit: scratch that, the maps are in the credits.

Hey Ross, what Half-Life 2 maps did you use for the background when you were talking?

Good video, at any rate.

It's listed in the credits, but i'll post it anyway. It's a CSS map, de_cityfever.

Anyway. I believe some of the games featured has potential for me, especially Firewatch, Riot (i'm searching for it in my iPad right now actually) Clockwork Empires. They look like games i can really enjoy. I might get 'em one of these days, I just need to get my PC in gaming condition again.

EDIT: I should also add that the 60's vibe in We Happy Few really intrigued me. It kinda reminds me of how I imagine London during the mid-60's.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Welp, now what?

Awesome video Ross!! But i'm still wondering if you have Steam or you don't.

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

I really shouldn't watch videos like this, now I'm going to dig myself further into debt when the next steam sale rolls around. Some of these I've never heard of but they do look absolutely fantastic, I am kind of surprised that GTA V for PC wasn't even on the runner up list though, or Alien: Isolation for that matter. Then again I know you said at the end of the video that you probably have a reason for a game I really like not making your list.

We Happy Few looks really interesting, kind of has a Mirrors Edge vibe to the gameplay. If they nail that fear factor when you are being forced to run and hide then it will be amazing. It was exactly that exhilaration that made me absolutely love Alien: Isolation.

The only game on the list I can actually recommend from personal experience would be The Crew, although a lot of the criticism is rightly deserved (and more so in some areas) I still found it to be pretty enjoyable and unique. I really love the feeling of setting off on a roadtrip in my favourite car with some friends and just enjoying the journey. You can spend literally hours just driving around looking at the scenery and always find something new, there are tons of landmarks to visit and a few of them (Cape Canaveral in particular) are very special. One thing about the game I feel is quite divisive though is the handling, lots of people really hate it but personally I kind of like it. I really like heavy, weighty handling, really throwing the car into a turn. Then again I've not driven that many of the cars in the game, once I got the Dodge Charger I pretty much drove that exclusively.

"That's the beauty of this game. As the global economy destabilizes, there's going to be no end to the number of expansions they can make."

That's more than a little frightening, and also brilliant.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Don't worry Ross, your computer is more than enough to play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter on high settings. Also, it's been out since last fall.

Knew i'd see Zomboid in there. Glad he didn't lump it with DayZ clones as well.

I'm crazy behind on my games too. Being poor and an insane procrastinator has me pretty backed up on games I want to play. I still own a Dreamcast because I've never finished playing Shenmue. I got this game and system back in 2000/2001 I think. I really need to finish that damn game so I can finally get ride of this Dreamcast.

Also I've owned Supreme Commander since it came out and I finally played and beat one of the campaigns last month....

There may be something wrong with me.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

If i'm not mistaken Grim Dawn is being developed mostly by people who worked on Titan Quest. If you haven't checked Titan Quest out you should, it's pretty good. Grim Dawn seems to be pretty similar to Titan Quest with the dual class thing and all.

It was great getting some insight into what games you are excited about; I saw at least twelve I'm now interested in myself. I liked the interstitial cards too. I think a lot of people would be very surprised the Atari could handle a game like Solaris.

The only one I was iffy on was "The Crew." Might be worth giving a miss to, since within five years I'm sure developers will be making much better games that eat out of google street view for full intercontinental driving/flight simulation. Anyway, not really my place to say what you should be excited about, so if you get it I hope you love it a lot and have a great time.

I saw two or three that I hadn't heard of, but still want... And you mentioned No Man's Sky... I'm sure there will rapidly be a mod that changes it to semi-realistic colors shortly after release.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I saw two or three that I hadn't heard of, but still want... And you mentioned No Man's Sky... I'm sure there will rapidly be a mod that changes it to semi-realistic colors shortly after release.
If that happens I'll becoming interested in it again. I know that they were never able to fully de-yellow Deus Ex Human Revolution.

"That's the beauty of this game. As the global economy destabilizes, there's going to be no end to the number of expansions they can make."

That's more than a little frightening, and also brilliant.

Yeah well, what can I say, some of these games are less fictional than others.

I really shouldn't watch videos like this, now I'm going to dig myself further into debt when the next steam sale rolls around. Some of these I've never heard of but they do look absolutely fantastic, I am kind of surprised that GTA V for PC wasn't even on the runner up list though, or Alien: Isolation for that matter. Then again I know you said at the end of the video that you probably have a reason for a game I really like not making your list.
I'm generally not big on movie games (I'll talk about that more on Game Dungeon) since I kind of know what's going to happen already. Maybe I'll play Alien Isolation eventually, but seeing as how there's maybe a dozen first person horror games coming out with original themes, it's really nowhere near the top of the list. As for GTA, I've played 3 - San Andreas and just got sort of GTA'd out, not sure why.

The only game on the list I can actually recommend from personal experience would be The Crew, although a lot of the criticism is rightly deserved (and more so in some areas) I still found it to be pretty enjoyable and unique. I really love the feeling of setting off on a roadtrip in my favourite car with some friends and just enjoying the journey. You can spend literally hours just driving around looking at the scenery and always find something new, there are tons of landmarks to visit and a few of them (Cape Canaveral in particular) are very special. One thing about the game I feel is quite divisive though is the handling, lots of people really hate it but personally I kind of like it. I really like heavy, weighty handling, really throwing the car into a turn. Then again I've not driven that many of the cars in the game, once I got the Dodge Charger I pretty much drove that exclusively.
With driving games, the environments are almost everything with me, so I'd be very tolerant of its other flaws, though knowing they've designed a game to die is really a slap in the face. I really hate this trend, we're going to have a generation where a big chunk of major titles are literally unplayable due to short sighted decisions of management.

...knowing they've designed a game to die is really a slap in the face. I really hate this trend, we're going to have a generation where a big chunk of major titles are literally unplayable due to short sighted decisions of management.

I'm afraid this question might sound stupid, but would there be a chance that cracking The Crew or setting up some sort of a pirate server will keep the game afloat, sort of like putting the game in a jury-rigged life support, until Ubisoft plays Gestapo and shuts down the pirate groups behind it?

Welp, now what?

Nice video! Many games to look into. I'm a bit surprised you didn't have Darkest Dungeon on the list, it's a very hard 2D rpg Lovecraftian game. Your characters goes insane and everything, sounds like a real Ross-game. If you haven't heard of it, check it out! It is still in early access but should be great when it's finished. I had to do an account just to tip you about this game.

Out of this list, The Last Door is the only one I've played. I believe they gave me a free premium account (this means you can play the chapters as they come out) when they asked me to make some videos of it. It was a very good game up to the point I played it. Not sure why I haven't gotten around to playing the rest. But if you're patient enough, all of the episodes will be available to play for free if you have no problem with playing them in a browser.

I agree with Ross so much on that online-only crap. I've made a resolution for myself that I won't buy any game that requires a phone-home connection. The lawyers and social engineers running these laughable outfits called "games publishers" these days are not going to see any money from me.

I'd rather buy some of those funny little text-based adventures which used to be sold on bunches of thin single-use screens made of pulped dead trees, they are called books or something like that...

Regards

Lot of survival/exploration games there.

I kinda saw this coming but I'm still a bit surprised as to how much there are.

Nice video! Many games to look into. I'm a bit surprised you didn't have Darkest Dungeon on the list, it's a very hard 2D rpg Lovecraftian game. Your characters goes insane and everything, sounds like a real Ross-game. If you haven't heard of it, check it out! It is still in early access but should be great when it's finished. I had to do an account just to tip you about this game.
I guess I should have mentioned it in the video (I did in another one), but I hate turn-based combat. It's a huge obstacle for me, to the point where as soon as I read that a game has it, I keep on looking. I'm sure it's a good game, just not for me.

Out of this list, The Last Door is the only one I've played. I believe they gave me a free premium account (this means you can play the chapters as they come out) when they asked me to make some videos of it. It was a very good game up to the point I played it. Not sure why I haven't gotten around to playing the rest. But if you're patient enough, all of the episodes will be available to play for free if you have no problem with playing them in a browser.
Does season 1 end on a cliffhanger?