ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: SUPER CULT TYCOON

Give it a rest already, BTG. Nobody believes you. You're not making anyone think you're cool. Enough.

Is there some reason you came into this thread to do nothing but try to insult me?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Is there some reason you came into this thread to do nothing but try to insult me?

To tell you that your story telling is not getting you anywhere here. I ask you to stop, please, because nobody cares or wants to listen.

1. Try not to be a jerk. Maybe I've been working on Civil Protection too long, but I'd prefer to see some civil discussion here. This is intentionally vague, like most constitutions. It's a nice blanket rule to catch anything not specified.

2. Don't insult people unless it's obviously a joke. While this is a rather radical concept for the internet, I don't see much good coming out personal insults towards anyone here. This doesn't mean you can't attack another person's concepts, statements, and arguments, but if you're reverting to outright insults, it really casts doubt on whatever point it is you're trying to make and is unlikely to contribute anything productive.

This forum has literally the simplest rules and they get broken so often. There was no provocation for that statement. If BTG's comments bother you that much, there is a block feature(in their profile, you'll see "add friend" or "add foe" foes posts are not displayed..) and I would suggest making use of that instead of disturbing the peace.

Retired Forum Moderator

This forum has literally the simplest rules and they get broken so often.

I was actually hoping a mod could call me out on this. This forum is really lax about rule enforcement compared to others I've seen.

This forum has literally the simplest rules and they get broken so often.

I was actually hoping a mod could call me out on this.

Sir, d'you have a death wish? Suicide by moderation - that must be a new one on the 'net. :lol:

that's not to say I couldn't join an extremist group based on rational arguments,

Heaven protect us!!! Ross, you realise that any extremist organisation you'd care to join will instantly become a cult :shock:

Regards

I may be late to the party, but if you're looking for a cult simulator, may I suggest Liberal Crime Squad?

It's less of a true cult simulator, and more of a politically-motivated terrorism sim, but it may be as close as you're gonna get.

It's all text-based, and there's no mouse control, but if you can get past that, the latest version is available for free from the LCS forums.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0

It's got a lot of what you'd expect from a cult game:

- Recruiting hippies and college students from the local vegan co-op.

- Sending your followers out on the street to beg for money (of prostitute themselves, if you don't care about their well-being).

- Recruiting judges and lawyers to ensure you get off scot-free if you're caught committing any crimes.

- Kidnapping (or seducing) influential people such as News Anchors and Corporate Executives and brainwashing them into supporting your cause.

- Taking over abandoned factories and warehouses and rigging them with generators, cameras, printing presses, and tank traps.

- Buying (or stealing) dozens of guns and training your followers to use them when your compound is inevitably raided by the police.

I'd recommend NOT playing on National LCS mode though. That feature seems to be in perpetual alpha at the moment.

I will admit, I've not been as active as I'd like of late, but I do try to check in daily. But yes, tempting fate...no need to go and insult people for the sole purpose of attracting attention.

People might start to think you're part of some sort of cult... :?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Had to rewatch this one in light of Cult of the Lamb, which achieves most or all of what this game set out to do in a much better package, but also ping-pongs back and forth between that game and a completely unrelated action-roguelike à la Undermine.

One thing that both games have going for them is that their respective cults are based off things that really exist in their universes—the Mothership is really coming, and the One Who Waits is a real enemy of the more established religion's gods. This means they're able to stretch the rules and give your cult genuine supernatural powers that you wouldn't have in the real world. Super Cult Tycoon doesn't really take advantage of this; aside from the monoliths you have as your endgame goal, the Robert Sentry is really the only tool you get that requires any paranormal explanation.

Cult of the Lamb goes way harder by handing them out on the regular, starting with your inability to permanently die. Need to get rid of a troublesome member without the morale hit that comes from killing them? Just have them ascend to a higher plane before your followers' very eyes. Did one of the Old Gods just curse your community with famine? Declare a fast and watch as they can magically go without food until it blows over. Did you luck out and end up with a follower who has really good attributes? Make that blessing last by giving them the talisman that doubles their natural lifespan. Even acquiring new members happens by defeating bosses in the roguelike section and rescuing the innocent people they were possessing. No need to go out into the world and spread the good word.

It's an interesting study in contrasts. It also put me in mind of the famous old god-sim Black & White, both in your ability to use godlike power on the regular and in the stark moral choices involved when choosing what new powers to add to your roster.