Europe, Russia and ISIS/ISIL

Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

Here’s a theory I have on the current situation with ISIS, Russia and Europe, from informations I’ve gathered from a few sites, general news, and personal deduction. I’m not sure at all about this, I’d just like to know what other people think.

If Russia wanted to be more powerful, not only would it would need to make the US weaker. I think that, to this end, it’s trying to isolate Europe from the US, as EU-US relations and economic exchange are critical to the power of both the US and the EU.

How to do that ?

- by significatively helping ultranationalist parties in Europe. In France, the Front National wants to make France break as much ties with other countries as possible. I’m French, and don’t know much about the situation in other major EU countries, but I’d love to hear some response on that.

- this is the speculative part: ISIS/ISIL/whateveryoucallit has recently mainly been menacing european countries. This, at least in France, encourages a fear of Islam, and thus nationalist voting, once again helping the nationalist party which is currently gaining a lot of support. Could Russia be helping/arming/financing this Islamic state to make the EU break apart ?

So, here are some questions I’d like to have some external opinion on:

- How are (ultra)nationalist parties doing, recently, in other EU countries ?

- Does Russia helping ISIS/ISIL seem plausible ?

- How bad is the shit we’re heading towards ? Could it evolve into a cold war, world war, a holocaust ?

Thanks for reading. As a bonus, here’s a piece of Russian propaganda.

[edit] I’m not sure this belongs more in “Civilization problems” than “Serious Topic Discussion”. Admins/mods, feel free to move the topic if you feel it belongs more in the latter.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I think that, to this end, it’s trying to isolate Europe from the US, as EU-US relations and economic exchange are critical to the power of both the US and the EU.

You got it completely the other way round - the US is trying to isolate Russia from the EU and push the EU to greater dependency on the US.

ISIS is not directly linked to that although the situation is of course affected by the hostile diplomacy between the US and Russia.

ISIS (formerly known as Al Qaeda in Iraq) and its Syrian counterparts have largely been financed and supported by Saudis and other strong Sunni players in the Gulf, such as Kuwait and Qatar with the US and Israel tacitly acquiescing to that because they saw it as the counterbalance to the Iranian power in Iraq, Syria and Yemen.

This has fundamentally backfired in everyone's faces and so the US is now more concerned with the ISIS contamination in the Middle East than with Russia. Hence, you can see that the situation in Ukraine has quieted down somewhat.

Regards

the US is trying to isolate Russia from the EU and push the EU to greater dependency on the US.

This is true, but the people that are trying to do so are idiots in their planning and execution. If they had at least some sense, they wouldn't have the ISIS/ISIL problem in the first place.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

the US is trying to isolate Russia from the EU and push the EU to greater dependency on the US.

This is true, but the people that are trying to do so are idiots in their planning and execution. If they had at least some sense, they wouldn't have the ISIS/ISIL problem in the first place.

The latter statement isn't connected to the former. Did you forget your coherence somewhere?

The latter statement is perfectly connected, you just aren't looking at it in a conversational setting.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.