ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: BIP BOP II

I'll admit, i have to stop every few minutes because of the level backgrounds, and i'm watching it on window mode. I don't think i'm watching this episode in fullscreen anytime soon. Damn good episode though, especially how you managed to get BipBop III out in public with help from your dad. I reckon this is the most obscure game you've covered since Helious.

Welp, now what?

I created an account because I think I figured it out.

"Ham and swiss on RYE!" is a sandwich. Ham, swiss cheese, rye bread.

I don't feel bad looking at the backgrounds,for some reason.Is that normal?

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

When I was a kid (the 90s), we had an old computer that the school got rid of. It was made in 1985 and ran Windows 95. We had no internet and lived in a rural place, so access to games was pretty much limited to a CD (I think it was called FunPack or FunPack HD) that had seven ripoffs of classic games. However, we didn't know they were ripoffs, so I grew up thinking Tetris was called 'Emlith,' Asteroids was called 'Hyperoid', and Breakout games were 'Block Breaker.' I haven't played any of those games since, so this episode finally gave me the true name for the genre of paddle-influencing-ball games.

Excellent archaeology work, Ross.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite site on the extranet.

Tracked down the developer, finished all 3 games, had it voice acted, released it as freeware, and became ruler of the universe. BAD. ASS.

Am I the only one that thinks that te voice acting in this episode is to give an example of the VA in the movie?.

On the other hand, good video, A Game Dungeon a day keeps the let's players away

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

In times, where once you put something up on the Internet for even one second results in it being there basically forever and nearly impossible to remove, it still surprises me that it is apparently possible for some games and information to indeed just disappear - or never appear to begin with.

I learned that quite recently when I wanted to look up an old point-and-click from god knows when (I think '95 or '97?) and... well, I couldn't find a thing! I played it when I was about 8 or so once (and could never get past the first area) and decided that I kind of felt like looking for it. I still knew the english name but apparently, that game NEVER existed. For those that are curious, it was called "UFOs" - exactly like that, captial UFO, small S.

I did finally learn that in Germany (ironically the place I live) the game had a different name, Gnap - Der Schurke aus dem All. And searching for THAT at least let finally find something.

On an unrelated note - Ross might want to look that thing up. It was quite funny and rather obscure. I mean, I still remember that one of the first things you can do is blowing up an infinite amount of pigs, one by one, with a techno-magic remote.

Still, good to see that at in this case, the game is not a lost item, shrouded in Mystery anymore thanks to Ross.

Some of the levels, with the black-and-white images and the headache-inducing backgrounds make me think of the Nine Inch Nails movie called "Broken."

Also, with regards to the discussion on the last page, it sounds like they're thinking of Jezzball.

I will freely admit I just made an account because this was the oddest and most complex episode yet. I have a question: is there any chance you can release the original disk images along with the contents? Preservation of these weird things are important and this is an amazing preservation of history so far.

Returning from the dead to comment on this one I think, great episode Ross, though the review might be biased due to my earballs bleeding from backgrounds and teleporting noises. Either way the only other breakout clone I can think of with story is Wizorb, but that's a bit too new and too rpg for this kind of series, fun game though, seems up your alley.

I'm kind of always excited for what the next game will be brought back to life for me with game dungeon, I've only heard of half the titles so far, and it's great to discover other weird things that existed. Also love how you genre hop a lot, so we don't get the same kind of games twice in a row, this will always be a series I look forward to watching.

Just, next time, please protect muh earballs.

I have a question: is there any chance you can release the original disk images along with the contents? Preservation of these weird things are important and this is an amazing preservation of history so far.

There is no such thing as a disk image when it comes to floppies... Just grabbing all the files from the disk is all there is to it. (you obviously never dealt with them in person)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

It's interesting how varied these episodes are. I was really hoping for a climactic evil revelation in this episode and was disappointed to discover that their evil influence apparently takes decades. Why bother planning a harvest when other people will beat you to it?

Additionally: I swear I've seen that red ball guy somewhere before. Is he featured by any other authors?

I have a question: is there any chance you can release the original disk images along with the contents? Preservation of these weird things are important and this is an amazing preservation of history so far.

There is no such thing as a disk image when it comes to floppies... Just grabbing all the files from the disk is all there is to it. (you obviously never dealt with them in person)

Floppies were commonly formatted with FAT12. Making images of them is a common way of backing up and distributing floppies these days -- it has a few advantages, some of them unexpected (eg subtle copy protection) and others just convenience (mounting in some emulators).

Hey Ross! When are you making a follow up for Nyet 3? I've been waiting for years here man.

The fact I never know what to expect in these episodes is the reason Ross is my favorite internet personality ever. Wonderful work as always man.

Floppies were commonly formatted with FAT12. Making images of them is a common way of backing up and distributing floppies these days -- it has a few advantages, some of them unexpected (eg subtle copy protection) and others just convenience (mounting in some emulators).

Your definition of 'common' and mine vary massively. Also, since when does a game on a floppy have any form of copy protection based on the disk? (I recall no such thing ever existing, protection with requirements based in external documentation doesn't count)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

this was a good episode Ross, I liked it, but I personally think I liked Quarantine a bit more, idk, I still like the reviews you bring out, I really wanna see more from you like this even if it takes a while for you to get the work out there, I know I will still like it....hopefully you can make some really more work like this when it comes to the Dungeon since I remember when I first saw your review of Tyrian, I actually have to say I liked it since well I got the game because of you, aswell as Nyet III but I uninstalled Nyet since well it was just difficult for me, but I can alot of the games you have had on the game dungeon look awesome, even Eternam (which I think is announced how you think it is announced: Eternam [Eternal but with an M at the end] and it came out the same year I was born)

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I'll admit, i have to stop every few minutes because of the level backgrounds, and i'm watching it on window mode. I don't think i'm watching this episode in fullscreen anytime soon. Damn good episode though, especially how you managed to get BipBop III out in public with help from your dad. I reckon this is the most obscure game you've covered since Helious.

Helious I think was as obscure as most of these games, I know I was familiar with Test Drive III since well I knew of the series for ages so that one was kinda mainstream so was Wolfenstien but hey I still like how hes reviewing awesome games, and I can say for a fact alot of these games are very new to me.....I never have heard of some of them, I know I heard of Tyrian maybe once, but never really heard alot about it before the game dungeon came out.....same with Will Harveys Zany Golf.....alot of these games I may have heard of but alot I do know I havent, I actually remember someone asking for Ross to review Quarantine as a wish list and their wish was kinda granted, I know I would love to see Ross do Rise Of Nations Rise of Legends since its an RTS but it isnt Turn Based so I do think he could handle it.....but its not like Farmville or any crap like that...

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

You are obviously not a Unix user. "Everything is a file". A floppy is just a block device like a hard disk or a tape drive.

$ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=~/floppyimage

Simply dump every sector of the floppy in order into a file that we can later load into a VM or dump on anothe floppy, preserving

everything from the original device bit by bit.

By the way, the company I work for recently ordered new buisness cards and my boss couldn't decide whether to write "junior" or "senior"

software engineer on mine, so I got one that says "adult software engineer". I guess that title would go well with a job at

S&M software.

Great episode as always, Ross.

Quick question: Have you ever played Pang? It was this (flash) game where you were a monkey with a really well-defined upper back, and you'd fire harpoons at balls, which would create smaller balls, and, ah fuck it.