Fallout 4

Sign in to follow this  

Wow, talk about bad luck...

Personally I've had to turn the graphics down to Medium as even if it runs fine on Ultra, on certain spots (especially when looking into the distance at some places) the framerate drops significantly, even when running in borderless window mode. Game doesn't feel that well optimized, or I might have to upgrade my hardware at some point soon...

Either way, loving the game. Can't say much about it yet as I'm still absorbing it all but the story was pretty intense and got me invested almost instantly.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

So, having warded off the Apocalypse, I've been able to play the game a bit more, and have begun to realize that there is a major problem with it.

And that problem is that there aren't enough free hours in the day to play it.

Gah, lousy stupid work and lousy stupid thesis!

Also, as a side note, do you think that this would count for Ross's desire to see more Halloween games, what with all the decorations laying around?

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

So, having warded off the Apocalypse, I've been able to play the game a bit more, and have begun to realize that there is a major problem with it.

And that problem is that there aren't enough free hours in the day to play it.

Gah, lousy stupid work and lousy stupid thesis!

Also, as a side note, do you think that this would count for Ross's desire to see more Halloween games, what with all the decorations laying around?

I know how you feel lol

Well, I'm back, sort of... Been playing almost constantly since it unlocked. (already at 83 hours played, and 18 achievements)

When combined with the Pip-boy app on my phone, this is the best FPS or RPG I've ever experienced.

If you haven't already built a 3 story wooden shack to house all your settlers in Sanctuary, DO IT! (and be amazed at how they refuse to path up or down stairs after getting out of bed and appearing on the next floor up) Also, make sure to fully clean the entire settlement of junk; not only does it give you extra building materials, it also lowers the 'size' meter so you can build more stuff. Sanctuary, when fully cleaned, nets you around 1500 wood, and IIRC around 800 steel.

Electrical grid work is interesting as well. Lights and TVs use wireless power, so you merely need a power 'junction' within range of the light. (pylons or those little connector relay node things work for this) I use ceiling fans primarily, with industrial light fixtures as a backup.

Can't wait for the first patch to fix the many minor bugs I've noticed.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Just a request, but if you put up spoilers, could you hint at what they relate to?

Seeing a spoiler box drives my curiosity crazy, since it could be anything.

As for the game, I've only been able to put in about 30 hours so far, and I still haven't had even a whiff of the main story yet.

It's great.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Been playing fallout 4 too. Its great but one aspect keeps bugging me and feels weird and somewhat disappointing for me. The visuals - before you jump on me, no, I'm not talking about whether its an improvement from last games.

I'm talking about the actual art style. I still probably haven't seen that much, but the style of pre-war facilities (especially talking about military, secured installations, bunkers, vaults etc.) seems very different from fallout 3 and New Vegas (yes, yes, different makers for New Vegas, but they still had the same art style more or less). Those bunkers and other installations with their doors, computers etc. looked awesome for me, but in fallout 4 from what I have seen it looks kinda cartoonish with brighter colors? (e.g. Red Alert 3 anyone?). Vault security looks weird too.

I don't know, maybe its just me and others like it, but those games had more appealing art style if you ask me. It feels like they wanted to experiment.

Been playing fallout 4 too. Its great but one aspect keeps bugging me and feels weird and somewhat disappointing for me. The visuals - before you jump on me, no, I'm not talking about whether its an improvement from last games.

I'm talking about the actual art style. I still probably haven't seen that much, but the style of pre-war facilities (especially talking about military, secured installations, bunkers, vaults etc.) seems very different from fallout 3 and New Vegas (yes, yes, different makers for New Vegas, but they still had the same art style more or less). Those bunkers and other installations with their doors, computers etc. looked awesome for me, but in fallout 4 from what I have seen it looks kinda cartoonish with brighter colors? (e.g. Red Alert 3 anyone?). Vault security looks weird too.

I don't know, maybe its just me and others like it, but those games had more appealing art style if you ask me. It feels like they wanted to experiment.

Fallout is supposed to be in the 50's aesthetic, previous games were in less densely populated areas that were more heavily hit, and you never saw what was before the war in other games. When you combine all that together, it makes sense that the other games would have a very different visual style after 210 years of isolation from everyone else, and that the relatively well preserved Boston area would maintain a 50's era feel better than the rest. (and trust me, this definitely feels like late 50's era aesthetics)

I don't see where you get the 'cartoonish' look from... I've never seen (or heard of) any cartoons that look even remotely like F4. As far as the 'brighter colors', they just aren't washed out colors. These are the colors that were used in the 50's, and they don't have any green (Fallout 3) or orange/tan (New Vegas) color overlays. (the ones that when a mod was made to remove them, became the most used mod in Fallout history)

Look at the different design styles around the country today even... In the southwest, you get adobe and stucco houses with plenty of tan colors everywhere. You don't see that on the northeastern seaboard at all.

About the military installations in Fallout 4, they have been designed to look more like real military installations. Concrete walls with grey painted metal everywhere. (I have yet to find one with any non-grey colors apart from a flag, toolboxes, faded olive drab/Vault-Tec blue crates, or yellow/red 50-gallon drums)

Technically, BTG, it has to be early '60s, not late '50s. "The Wanderer" and "Blue Moon" were both featured in Fallout games and were both released in 1961.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Technically, BTG, it has to be early '60s, not late '50s. "The Wanderer" and "Blue Moon" were both featured in Fallout games and were both released in 1961.

Well, it's still a very 50's vibe in general, and it's common for the decades to kinda mesh into each other, like how the 80's lasted until around 93 in most places and the 90's still lasted until around 2004. So that's kinda nitpicking imo.

The Fallout games have always had a very 50's style about them, especially with the cold war paranoia so prevalent at the time and the nuclear power.

To me the Fallout games have always had their own kind of vibe to them, it's similar to steampunk except nuclear rather than steam. Nuke-punk? lol

What always bothered me about Fallout was the Sci-Fi elements mixed in with that 50's vibe. I think there is just too much of a contrast there, but I know a lot of people love it.

To me that's what makes it unique. It's sci-fi but it's... very retro sci-fi, almost retro-futuristic, like it's based on how the future was supposed to be in the 50's and 60's. That's what I meant about "nuke-punk", it has taken on a world all of its own. Like, all the terminals are very basic, and there's a lot of mainframe computers and oldschool stuff.

Yeah, 80 character text-based monochrome interfaces, but true AI and robots... Parts from the distant past, and parts from the distant future. They skipped right over the transistor era and went straight to quantum computing. (no LCD displays anywhere, still using the oldest type of CRT displays)

It's a very interesting feel.

Ha! It's been out less than a week, and not only is there already a nude mod, it's in its THIRD VERSION. Is this an enthusiastic community or what?

Ha! It's been out less than a week, and not only is there already a nude mod, it's in its THIRD VERSION. Is this an enthusiastic community or what?

Is it based off nude mods from past games or something?

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

Is it based off nude mods from past games or something?

No, I don't think so. It mentions improving on stuff he did in Mortal Combat, but I think he's talking about techniques he used back then. I'd post a link, but I am not sure that'd be allowed.

It finally finished downloading after a 5 day long adventure of slow download speeds, internet outages, demands from family that I stop hogging the bandwidth, and a dead modem.

I've put 5 hours into the game so far and accomplished nothing important. Well I got a ton of important stuff for me done because settlement building is fun as hell and that's almost exclusively what I've been doing. Though I am wondering, does anyone know if there's a level cap and if so what it is? I'm level 7 and I may or may not have been planning ahead with my first few talent distributions.

Also no, please don't publicly link to any adult content. If anyone REALLY wants to see it, send it to them via PM. That being said I am slightly curious about it so do send it to me. You won't get in trouble I swear. :P

Retired Forum Moderator