Fallout 4

Sign in to follow this  

That is not realistic. At all. That's just rocket tag.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

But I like rocket tag, especially when my rocket has a nuke at the tip, and has 11 friends flying around with it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Not all kills are 1 hit kills though. Just hits to critical areas, like the head.

I mean, its not like they can run a physics simulation on a human body model every time you get shot to determine the damage.

It's just to say that now you can no longer keep hitting someone point blank in the face with a shotgun and have them keep standing.

I'm not sure how body shots play into things as much yet, though, since I haven't gotten into human combat yet.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Not all kills are 1 hit kills though. Just hits to critical areas, like the head.

I mean, its not like they can run a physics simulation on a human body model every time you get shot to determine the damage.

It's just to say that now you can no longer keep hitting someone point blank in the face with a shotgun and have them keep standing.

I'm not sure how body shots play into things as much yet, though, since I haven't gotten into human combat yet.

1. Most of the head is not a vital area, most of the head is just bone and meat.

2. The vital parts are all defended by really thick bone, especially from the front and back, that can actually STOP many low-penetration rounds even at a perfect angle.

3. A bullet in the brain is not always fatal, and never instantly. There are two tiny, tiny, TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY little patches of brain at the very bottom where there is ANY chance of somebody being immediately incapacitated, one is called the "thalamus" and the other is called the "brainstem". The rest of it can take a bullet just fine, thanks.

4. The reason a bullet to the brain has such a high fatality rate is because it's difficult to treat, and it's a supremely blood-rich organ. People still usually die of blood loss or infection when shot in the head, and those take a while.

5. Even so, about 10% of all people who receive cerebral ballistic trauma (as in, a bullet to the brain, specifically the brain) survive worldwide. That does not adjust for the number of head wounds received, additional trauma to the body, medical care in the region or where they live.

6. Some people survive a LOT of damage, an incredible amount of damage, including brain damage, and LITERALLY walk it off. Wenseslao Moguel, Alexis Goggins, Angel Alvarez and Simo Hayha are four examples involving guns, but Phineas Gage is another extreme example. Each of these people received massive brain damage from objects penetrating their skull, and were still able to walk afterwards.

A. Wenseslao was executed by firing squad and survived. He was shot nine times with rifles, including a shot in the forehead, and was then shot in the jawline at point blank with a pistol. He waited for the federales to leave, got up under his own power (with his arms bound) and walked away, finding a doctor and surviving to tell his story.

B. Alexis Goggins was a 7-year old girl in Detroit, who was held captive along with her mother by her mother's psycho boyfriend. Said boyfriend shot her mother in the arm and side of the head, then shot the child six times for interfering. This seven year old girl took two bullets through her brain, and four elsewhere (including one to the jawline, popular place to take a bullet it seems). Her mother (who also had a bullet go all the way through her brain) pushed the man out of the vehicle and ran for the police. The child was still conscious when the police found her, and survived the incident.

C. Angel Alvarez was shot as a block party in NYC when a fello drunken party-goer pulled a gun on him and the police arrived to find them struggling over it. Not wanting anybody to get shot, they started shooting. Because logic. They hit Alvarez 27 times, including wounds to his arms, legs, torso and the back of his head. He doesn't even have a limp.

D. Simo Hayha was the deadliest mother fucker to ever kill. No, seriously, look him up. He killed over 700 people in the Winter War, avoided carpet bombings of his operating areas, and killed everyone they sent against him, including a man who shot him in the head with an anti-tank rifle. The bullet caught him in the jawline and yawed up through his face, fragmenting as it went, exiting from his head having done massive damage to his jaw, carotid artery, frontal lobe, circle of willis and even damaging his thalamus. He shot the man back and killed him, before passing out from blood loss and waking up two weeks later on, get this, the day the war ended.

E. This case is pretty famous. Phineas Gage was a railway worker who took a tamping rod through his head due to an accidental explosion. It entered through his jaw and exited through the top of his head, massively damaging his frontal lobe, completely destroying his pre-frontal cortex and causing massive bleeding from damage to several important blood vessels, including his circle of willis. He got up and walked off the job site and survived, somehow, despite the era.

If you shoot a raider one time in the forehead with a .38 and they just obligingly fall down dead, that's absolute bullshit. Not only would that round not penetrate their glabella, it would only cause frontal lobe damage if it did, and even if it did hit something important that's not a guaranteed kill by any stretch of the imagination, and even if it was fatal is definitely wouldn't be instantly so.

Rocket tag is NOT realistic, it never was, never has been and never will be.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

The Fallout 4 Creation Kit is now available... To get it you have to use the Bethesda.net Launcher though.

[EDIT] Unfortunately, I am having trouble figuring out where they're putting anything but the base versions of weapons/armor. (I wanted to make my .308 battle rifle, and impact-adaptive nanogel armor)

The Bethesda Launcher is surprisingly stable for me so far and it's not necessarily that bad to use. One you install the G.E.C.K. you don't need the launcher.

True, but if you want it updated from the current beta, you still need the launcher.

The problem isn't with the launcher, it's with the Creation Kit, and not being easy to find the weapons.

True, but if you want it updated from the current beta, you still need the launcher.

The problem isn't with the launcher, it's with the Creation Kit, and not being easy to find the weapons.

It's under the items category in the Object Window.

Those are only part of the base weapons, not any final placeable objects.

Far Harbor came out today and after playing it for about 15 hours I got to say it's really awesome. Especially the atmosphere and the enemy designs, not a big fan of the new armors except for the Harbormen clothes.

Far Harbor came out today and after playing it for about 15 hours I got to say it's really awesome. Especially the atmosphere and the enemy designs, not a big fan of the new armors except for the Harbormen clothes.

I will second this. The story is pretty excellent, as is the question. Lots of options and even some skill checks! :o

Plus, the island itself is pretty gorgeous, too.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I will second this. The story is pretty excellent, as is the question. Lots of options and even some skill checks! :o

Plus, the island itself is pretty gorgeous, too.

It's also a good 20+ hours long which is pretty nice. My favorite part has to be the settlements feel more like safe havens because of the fog.