Fallout 4 total conversion mod.

Sign in to follow this  

The armor is location-based resistances, I think normal Fallout-style formula. (I'm not positive though, but I do see quite a few Deathclaws with an armor rating of 14, but they're even harder to kill than previous Fallout games) Also, the armors take damage and can be destroyed, leaving a limb/torso/head exposed. (and can be repaired at an armor crafting station) The same applies to power armor. (though I can't tell if your personal armor protects you after the power armor plates are destroyed or not)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I know for a fact that regular armour cannot be destroyed, just power armour. And I know there are location-based values, but my problem is I don't know if they're point values (sure looks like it) or percentages (pretty sure they're not), or if they're at all tweaked or multiplied. Thankfully, it'll be pretty easy to work with them once the GECK's out. Also, adding more enemies to the list right now.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

I've been able to destroy NPC armor pieces several times... Maybe it's just on the synths...

Can't wait for the GECK, should be interesting to see something besides a few hundred "change X sound to the John Cena theme".

Yeah, pretty sure that's just the synths. Their armour can't even be destroyed when worn by other NPCs, and the armour destroyed remains in their inventory and is fully usable.

Oh well...

Are you planning on implementing any of the settlement building aspects into your mod?

Probably, if somewhat tuned down.

As for the armour, I now know how it works. And it fucking sucks. It's non-locational, and while it does scale against incoming damage it is in a SUPER backwards way and it's going to be more difficult to effectively control than a simple point value. I'm keeping special resistance, just to help the system be less shit. Apparel will only provide kinetic DR, and special resistance will handle ALL strengths and weaknesses. Clothing provides no DR, protective gear provides 10 and armour provides 40. (These can be improved with armour mods.) Special resistance is now always a positive number, as well. There's quality grades on armour, and these now just increase or decrease the special resistance by 1/20 its base value for each rank above or below basic. Since these run from -5 to +5, this means multipliers from 0.75 to 1.25. And since the defaults are always 20, 40, 60 or 80, that means the ranges are always 15-25, 30-50, 45-75 or 60-100.

EDIT:

Composite comes in all weights. Its special resistances are 20% slash/pierce, 20% puncturing, 0% bludgeoning, 40% cold, 40% heat, 40% electric, 20% force and 20% chemical. Composite is 1/4 price, extremely abundant and very easy to upgrade, and is the only apparel to come in all weights.

Hide will only come in clothing. Its special resistances are 20% slash/pierce, 20% puncturing, 0% bludgeoning, 40% heat, 60% cold, 40% electric, 20% force and 80% chemical. Hide is 1/2 price, abundant and easy to upgrade.

Padded will come in clothing and protective gear. Its special resistances are 20% slash/pierce, 20% puncturing, 20% bludgeoning, 40% heat, 60% cold, 40% electric, 20% force and 60% chemical.

Tensile will come in protective gear and armour. Its special resistances are 20% slash/pierce, 40% puncture, 0% bludgeoning, 40% heat, 60% cold, 40% electric, 20% force and 60% chemical.

Metal will only come in armour. Its special resistances are 40% slash/pierce, 20% puncture, 0% bludgeoning, 40% cold, 60% heat, 60% electric, 20% force and 40% chemical. Metal is 2x price, scarce and difficult to upgrade.

Most melee weapons and explosives take 1x effect from damage resistance, as do black powder firearms. (Special resistance is NOT affected by any multipliers.) Firearms also have a multiplier, always less than 1, to damage resistance.

Also, yes, I am keeping the upgrade system, although what exact upgrades are and are not there will be totally different. Also, there will be some armour and weapons that just have a particular upgrade that cannot normally be added. For instance, you get an extra resistance to chemical damage for wearing copper, brass, bronze, galvanized steel or stainless steel armour. (20% for the suit and 5% for each extra piece, half that for galvanized or stainless steel. Separate layer from special resistance.)

Some enemies use power armour. This comes in three varieties. These are "demon", "military" and "raider". Demon power armour is obsolete military power armour from the 2040's, military power armour is state of the art power armour currently in production and raider power armour is extraterrestrial and likely the best power armour in the world. All power armour is exceptionally durable, especially against kinetic weapons, and is most easily defeated with electric weapons, which cause it to briefly lock up, stunning the user.

Demon power armour provides a colossal DR 400, a DR so high even anti-material rifles are massively weakened. However, it seriously lacks in special resistance. Its special resistances are 25% slash/pierce, 25% puncture, 0% bludgeon, 25% heat, 25% cold, 25% electric, 25% force and 50% chemical. It is also slower moving than later power armours and lacks and special additions other than a headlamp. It has poor CBRN protection, having the same radiation resistance as metal armour and only reducing disease 75%, poison 50% and infection a measly 25%. This old model of power armour is very heavy, inflexible, slow to adjust and provides poor shock absorption, leaving the demons wearing it especially vulnerable to gravity (2x fall damage).

Military power armour still provides DR 400, but its special resistances are much better. 50% slash/pierce, 50% puncture, 25% bludgeon, 25% heat, 25% cold, 25% electric, 25% force and 50% chemical. It also moves faster, has night vision instead of a headlamp, provides noticeably greater physical strength and substantially better CBRN protection. It has twice the radiation resistance of demon power armour, provides complete disease immunity, 75% poison resistance and 50% infection resistance. The military became aware of the flaws of their last model of armour before they made this one, and a considerable amount of effort was put into allowing the servos to absorb the shock of a hard landing, removing this critical flaw (normal fall damage).

Raider (remember, these are *alien* raiders, not human raiders) power armour is the best power armour in the game. It provides a hefty DR 400, but 25% slash/pierce, 25% puncture, 0% bludgeon, 75% heat, 75% cold, 75% electric, 25% force and 25% chemical. It also comes equipped with an on-board medical system that reduces bleeding by half and automatically applies basic medical treatments to the user (though it has a limited supply). It comes with an on-board energy shield that absorbs half of incoming damage and recharges over time, though it cannot restart once it fails. It also provides exceptional CBRN protection, providing an extra 75% resistance to radiation, complete disease *and* poison immunity and 75% infection resistance. Raider power armour was designed for orbital insertion (via single-use breakaway pods, but still) and EVA usage, and as a result is equipped with an on-board propulsion mechanism and parachute. Raider heavies in this armour certainly make an entrance. And when they do, it's time for you to make an exit.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Oh, I do have a quick note about questlines: The release won't have any, and I'm still up in the air about which, if any, will actually be added later. The entire point of the game is supposed to be to explore and survive. There's a big, dynamic world that is affected by your actions, but not overly so. There's unique dungeons to explore, from simple abandoned houses to huge and detailed ruins with a metroidvania-type feel to them. Everywhere you go has a story, at least a little bit of one, and it's up to you to go and find it and make of it what you will. And then you move on, because the world isn't going to wait for you any more than it'll change for you.

You're a regular person in this game, not some magical chosen hero. The point is to live in this world, not to change it. In the end it really comes down to whether I feel giving in to the pressure is worth compromising the tone of the game. I've been going back and forth, and I think I'm settling on "no". Not every game needs some big epic story, especially not this one, and that means there is no central plot to the game other than what you make for yourself.

But you do need to have some sort of endgame... Giving no form of ending is like putting someone in a sandbox with ants, they soon want to get out. Just a little something, not ending the play, but acknowledging what they have done in the world. Could even be as simple as a dialog box after a certain amount of in-game time summarizing their choice and relationship statuses... (possibly even having that be a recurring thing, with certain minor perks/rewards based on the results)

How's this for an endgame? Pick a faction you hate, make it your mission in life to wipe them off the face of the Earth.

EDIT:

Okay, let me make this a little more clear. There is and will never be an overarching story to this game, beyond what you make for yourself. That DOES NOT mean the game is without any story or plot, just that it has a lot of little stories and plotlines spread throughout the game. Some of them are really significant. One of the big ones is right in front of you when you start the game, wagging its tail. (I'm not spoiling that one in public, though. I'll PM the synopsis on that one if you want it.)

These smaller stories are no less valid than a larger story would be, and a lot of small stories do a lot more to build and establish the world than a single large one. In the end I see the world as more important than having some overarching plot, doubly so in an open-world game, and I lack the resources to do both.

Now for the perk list. (Note, a lot of these are mapped to the same location as the vanilla perk they most resemble, and *all* of these have four ranks. Which means a total of 280 levels of investment available. Also, clearly, this is unfinished. I will be working on it more today and tomorrow, and should be able to finish it given time.)

EDIT:

So, this worthless piece of shit just deleted the entire rest of this post, basically. Because it fucking can. So now what was SUPPOSED to be a small edit adding one perk to the list and fixing a typo is now A COMPLETE RESTART.

So... Yeah. I'm just going to not fucking bother writing up the perk list on the site until I have a full list, on Microsoft Word, where it can be restored if it gets deleted again.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

It may suck for your mod, but it does make at least some real-world sense. (excluding power armor)

It is unnecesarily complex and impenetrable, too tightly tied to enemy damage and difficult to control. It sucks for all purposes. Though I will give you that it is much closer to reality than the system used in Fallout 3. (Or Skyrim, or Oblivion, or Morrowind, etcetera.)

Though I will give you that it is much closer to reality than the system used in Fallout 3. (Or Skyrim, or Oblivion, or Morrowind, etcetera.)

Kinda what I was getting at... ;)

My problem is that Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas ALL had better armour systems. Systems that were simpler, more realistic and functioned better. Especially Fallout 1 and 2, the ONLY good thing about those games, on the rare instance an enemy failed to bypass your armour entirely and render the entire system pointless and look at me I've started to rant. Anyway, they could have done a LOT better than this, and it looked like they did, and they all but outright said they did, and then they did this backwards, overcomplicated crap that's going to be a pain in the ass to work with for me and any other modder who wants to overhaul the system.

I'm sure you'll find a way.

Now, how about all the mods? Staying with existing weapon mod models, or looking for additional models after GECK is released?

A little from column A, little from column B. I am definitely replacing a lot of the models with more realistic ones if and when I can (I am certain some firearm enthusiasts will hop right on making some Glock, Armalite and Kalashnikov models the moment the GECK is released), but until then the vanilla models will have to do. Unfortunately.

You never know, I may just get my hands dirty and try some modeling with this game... I'm not very experienced, but I have this design that's been in my head for about a decade now, but never actually made. (it's a .308 battle rifle, looks near-futuristic if I had to describe it, scope/s included)

Yeah, I tried my hand at modelling too, back when New Vegas came out. That went nowhere, but at least it had the courtesy to do so fast so I didn't waste too much of my time. So... Yeah, going to be 100% dependent on what the community comes up with, but thankfully the vanilla game has good placeholders and will likely have more and better ones as the DLC comes out. And if need be, the placeholders can be used indefinitely.

Modified placeholders are relatively easy as well, so there's that too...