Fallout 4 total conversion mod.

Sign in to follow this  

Yes. The examples I would have pointed to were Nehrim for Oblivion, Day Z for Arma II, and Counter Strike and Team Fortress for Half-Life, but yours work just as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

It's not even in the same genre, really.

It's certainly entering odd genre territory, a kind of fantasy-infused America, both familiar and strange simultaneously.

Well, that's not even close to all the enemies I'd *like* to include. That's just the ones I'm pretty sure I can get one way or another. There's more I'd love to include, and know for a fact that I won't be able to until much later, at best. (There's some awesome things in this setting, that I'd love to show outside of pen and paper.)

And I mean, one of the big ones is the thing that's supposed to be on Mercer Island. I never mentioned it before because I wasn't sure I could work it in, and honestly I'm still not sure, but it does at least have a simple model. Animation might be a slight issue, though. (Because only its textures change, its model actually doesn't have any moving parts.)

Perhaps you could have some "quantum-locked" enemy, which would physically invincible yet cannot move whilst being observed - ala Weeping Angels style from the Doctor Who franchise.

Well, there's a few problems with using Fallout 4 you have to be aware of. The first one is that it basically just came out, so I'll have to wait for at least *some* of the DLC to be released, and the release of more content is going to drastically change what I can and can't do here. The second one is Fallout 4's atrocious armour system, though this mod is noticeably less combat-oriented than the original game, so hopefully it won't be *too* big of an issue.

Thankfully, though, Fallout 4 makes a lot of things easier, and even more possible to begin with. One tiny example is that it's a lot easier to include enemies that fall right out of the sky. It was impossible to make enemies not take falling damage in 3 or New Vegas, but here I can set them to not take falling damage and just spawn them high up. Hell, the game even has a great landing animation for them, and I don't even need to program them to use it because it's the default.

I don't actually think that'll be a problem. I mean, it sucks that I'll be limited to providing only four responses at once, but that isn't a deal breaker. Though the voiced protagonist won't be a problem, because this mod just won't have one. Unfortunately... That might just be because none of the content will be voiced, at least for some time. That's something that will have to wait until the game is released and people volunteer.

Programming all the props and actions is the easy part, actually. At least as the intro is written here. None of it is any different from any other total conversion mod ever made for a Bethesda game. That said, there's been some changes to the intro that I've failed to record, and I'll copy them over real quick, probably before you read this.

In retrospect, reading back on your earlier ideas before the game was released, the new engine and game mechanics are certainly going to be challenging to get to grips with, now that the Fallout modding community has pretty much wrung much of the potential in Fallout 3 and FNV.

Well, here might be a pair of small disappointments, then. The first being that the Jersey Devil won't be in for quite some time (the same can be said for a lot of enemies, actually), and the second being that there will only be two extra-planer locations available at first, one of which is used entirely for an easter egg and the other is still pretty small.

In all honesty, and I hope this doesn't douse your spirits, but because I'm not a dedicated PC gamer I'm unlikely to ever play it. For a start my system is barely capable of running an old school point n' click game, yet alone vanilla Fallout 4. I'd still like to see where this goes though, and maybe with your blessing I could perhaps recommend the mod for a Youtuber like the aforementioned AlChestbreach. That's about the extent of assistance I can offer you, but if your interested or not feel free to say yay or nay.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

my system is barely capable of running an old school point n' click game, yet alone vanilla Fallout 4.

Post your system specs in the Computer Hardware subforum, and I'll see if I can find a way to improve your system, or at least recommend an upgrade path that won't cost much.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Okay, so here's something real quick about some enemies, which I forgot to post in their original descriptions. When killed, demons burst into flames, melt, dissolve, explode or otherwise self-destruct in a manner that causes damage to anything nearby. This could be seen as proof of their supernatural nature, their impurity, or whatever. You could even claim that this destruction is them being "cleansed". This isn't true at all, this is just a defence mechanism the deity that created them installed, but this illusion might last a while. (Oh, and just to take this down a disturbing route, this defence mechanism kicks in fairly early in gestation, around the end of the first trimester, meaning that the mortal women who bear these demons will die horribly if they attempt to abort them. This was likely done intentionally by the deity responsible for the creation of demons, who personally impregnantes women to create demons and really doesn't like it when people don't go along with his plans. You actually see an explosion if you near the Everett Clinic, and people nearby will mention it after it happens.)

Then you go to Lake Stevens and realize angels do the same, and maybe start making connections. Though in their case, angels' self-destruction is much less violent and is actually a transformation, as their second form emerges from their ashes. Said second form is much more powerful, but is unstable and causes itself constant damage, causing it to die even if left alone, and its death causes its second form to self-destruct for real, much more violently than its first death, or even the death of a demon. (Since angels are produced much the same way, another red flag by the way, that means angel-bearing women might also be killed if they try to abort it. If done before the third trimester the unborn angel's second form won't be cognizant and can just be thrown out a window or something before it explodes, sparing the mother, but in the third trimester the angel's second form will go on a rampage until it dies, then explode with lethal force.)

Interestingly, there's a third category that self-destructs when "killed": Vampires. However, this isn't a sign of a relationship between them and demons or angels because it's just one of many, MANY powers they've stolen from other monsters. Additionally, when a vampire is killed, it disintegrates harmlessly, *and* it generates a new body back at home, making them effectively unkillable. Killing them does keep them down longer than just wounding them, but it can't be prevented and there doesn't appear to be any means of keeping them down permanently. They even respawn in-game, but even if you fail to notice this it's told to you outright. (Not to mention "near death" dialogue including "You do realize I'll come back, right?", "Again? Already?", "Third time's the charm, huh?", "Four is not death, for the record.", "Oh, not this again.", "I am getting really sick of this.", "What is your problem with me, anyway?", "You are SUCH an ass.", "Can you stop killing me, please? I mean, how many does this make now? Seriously, I've lost count.", "It was worth a shot." and "Yeah, I know the drill.".)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of tone are going for in terms of the mods atmosphere and mood? The magically corrupt aspects of the setting point to something quite bleak and sober despite the fantastical elements, but reading some of your battle dialogue ideas regarding the physical instability of Vampires ("Oh, not this again!" x3 I like this) you seem to aiming for at least a mild dose of comic brevity.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

This game isn't supposed to be horrifying on the surface. On the surface, things seem fairly mundane in terms of tone. You're playing a couple of little kids trying to make a living, and their chief concerns are mostly getting food and medical supplies, and not getting killed by mundane threats like wild animals. For the first couple hours, that's probably what the game will seem to be about. You might even start to forget the circumstances under which you left Everett, given the disarming mundanity you'll probably spend the next couple hours in. But the game gets more disturbing the farther into it you go.

Some of the "dungeons" are downright terrifying, being so dark it's hard to see and what little you can see isn't good. Things move around in the darkness and stalk you, moving just out of sight and avoiding the light you create. You can often hear them, but you can't see them, and believe me that works wonders on players who aren't used to it. And the noises aren't loud, either, they're just as the edges of your hearing. Creaks and footsteps, breathing, the occasional quiet idle noise of a nearby monster, maybe just enough for you to piece together what's in there with you as you sneak around and hope you get the drop on it and not the other way around. What's more, you'll find evidence of them as you go. You might even encounter a minor enemy here or there that is related to what's going on. This isn't every ruin and abandoned household you enter, but you won't be able to immediately tell if a place is housing a terrifying monstrosity, just a couple wild animals or nothing at all.

This, combined with the (not immediately obvious) complete lack of actual safety in the game's world and its tendency to throw something terrifying in your face out of nowhere as soon as you let your guard down, works into the game's tension and release cycle, and while it's not a horror game, it definitely borrows heavily from that genre. Remember, this is a game where you can get to the "safety" of your home, then wake up to find a monster at the foot of your bed that is... Uh... Totally not the rake. What's a rake? I've never heard of a "rake".

Additionally, both the mythos and some of the events that happen in-game are meant to be extremely disturbing. Horrible things happen in this world, all the time, and you're going to become increasingly aware of it as the game goes on. Like the deity that apparently goes around in the shadows, unseen, impregnating women with a demonic embryo likely against their will, and having that embryo rig itself to explode so they can't get rid of it. And it gets worse. Said deity makes sure said demonic children are deformed in a way that will make their mortal families abuse and neglect them, making them play the villain, and make the deity and its demons the heroes when they come in and "rescue" them from their abusive mortal families. It also has the side benefit of making humans condition young demons to hate humans, which sure makes them more vicious in battle when they have to fight humans. (Of course, now that the demons are in charge of Seattle, people who raise demons there aren't inclined to abuse them anymore, but at this point they aren't needed to anyway.) Of course, there's more than just that. That's just one I've already brought up. Most of the mythos is pretty dark, full of terrible monstrosities and abusive deities. (Power corrupts.)

The humour is there for a good reason, though. It's called bathos, basically a requirement of making such a world work. As Joss Whedon put it, "Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke."

Sounds like humanity isn't the dominant force in their own backyard, even though they might be convinced they still are. I did read that bit in your enemy list about the Black-Eyes, which is some pretty nightmare fueling stuff.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Sounds like humanity isn't the dominant force in their own backyard, even though they might be convinced they still are.

It's debatable, actually.

I did read that bit in your enemy list about the Black-Eyes, which is some pretty nightmare fueling stuff.

Well, they aren't the rake rip-offs and they're not hostile, I wouldn't even say they're evil per se, but they are supposed ("supports"? I need to stop posting from Apple products.) to be pretty freaky anyway.

Cool, now you can combine the two systems, and get hard and soft armor systems.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.