ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: FOLLOW-UP EPISODE #1

rgd_followup1.jpg

Here's the first followup episode to Ross's Game Dungeon! I knew this would take a lot of work, and it did. This definitely is towards the top in the amount of editing time involved, but I'm relatively happy with how it came out and it hopefully puts a lot of burning questions and comments to rest.

I was originally hoping to get this episode out a week ago, since it kind of leads into a major one coming up soon. You can expect the next Game Dungeon in less than a week assuming nothing catastrophic happens. After that I'll be trying to get some new experimental videos out for a while and hopefully get into enough of a groove to get more work done on the movie.

Have you considered setting up a patreon account?
Yeah, I plan to after I get a couple more videos out. That's another video to make in itself though, so one step at a time.

Hey ross Just wondering, when we reach followup #2 will you show the Oklahoma good ending in arcade america?

About the fan art thing.

Have you considered making a group on DeviantArt?

It would be amazing if the artists shared the images in high res for wallpaper use or personal prints, the ones in this episode are all great, and they deserve some recognition for belonging to these somewhat obsucre games (Nyet III has new art, when was the last time that happened?) :mrgreen:

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I wasn't aware anyone was mapping out test drive i'm going to have to look for that thread.

Back by popular demand!

The GD Castle looks like it had some wicked battle and got decimated and is now under construction now.....I like the look Ross....it works for this sort of video

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Nice to see a bit of addional information on these titles.

Well, regarding that Graphic Adventure with the overlong german name...

Why not ask a german for help in figuring it all out, as someone who helps translating on the fly? There are probably ways to do that other than actually getting one to your house (like Skype Screenshare or similar tools - most are usually free). Plus you might learn how to ACTUALLY pronounce it.

Not saying that I should be that guy - even if I am german - but it's something to consider if you want to take a look at that game for a Game Dungeon.

Assuming they can't create any kind of translation-patch for it, which might be the better option if the game is text-only or has all dialogue at least subtitled. If the dialogue is voiced and there are no subtitles, I don't know if it would be worth trying as said dialogue might contain important information you then don't understand.

And about piracy:

If you can't buy the game legitimately anymore (used copies don't count) then I say pirate away, it is your only remaining option.

And if you can and DID buy the legitimate copy but pirating it gives you a more convinient way of playing it or gets around censorship? Wouldn't call that pirating and also a legitimate reason to use it. Personally, I own, for example, all games of the FEAR series for about six years or so?. Yet, when I wanted to play the original games again two years ago, I just pirated it. Why? Because my version is censored as hell - no blood, ragdolls fade after a few seconds and so on.

this episode was awesome Ross....I loved it alot

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Have you considered setting up a patreon account?
Yeah, I plan to after I get a couple more videos out. That's another video to make in itself though, so one step at a time.

Expect money from my wallet.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

And about piracy:

If you can't buy the game legitimately anymore (used copies don't count) then I say pirate away, it is your only remaining option.

And if you can and DID buy the legitimate copy but pirating it gives you a more convinient way of playing it or gets around censorship? Wouldn't call that pirating and also a legitimate reason to use it. Personally, I own, for example, all games of the FEAR series for about six years or so?. Yet, when I wanted to play the original games again two years ago, I just pirated it. Why? Because my version is censored as hell - no blood, ragdolls fade after a few seconds and so on.

Veteran Edition doesn't have edited / removed strife1.wad and voices.wad files, so you can still use it with source ports like ZDoom.

I didn't try it, yet, but I think it would be better to just use GZDoom with some OpenGl effect injectors, because the dialogue system in VE stays the same like in the original - with giant font covering up the portraits, horizontal line of colons (-) and a big Sigil icon as cursor. I know that these are minor things, but they piss me off.

By the way, Ross, what renditions did you listen to that were "promising"? :3

And about piracy:

Veteran Edition doesn't have edited / removed strife1.wad and voices.wad files, so you can still use it with source ports like ZDoom.

I was more talking about in general. For Strife - well, as stated in the video, you can buy the Veteran Edition. And that, as far as I am concerned, counts as "being able to buy legitimately", ergo you should BUY it, not pirate.

I didn't try it, yet, but I think it would be better to just use GZDoom with some OpenGl effect injectors.

I'm using a reshade + mastereffect injector with hq4x and I might as well post my results (WARNING:Hi-res pictures below):

kfkEdxP.jpgkFLA51m.jpglF1eWC7.jpgD1ZBnoP.jpg

Great episode!

The end of the CarnEvil section with the coin was too funny. Very cool of Joe, will definitely watch the full

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr_lLR_f0q4 later, interesting stuff!

I hesitate to even mention the "controversial" stuff (especially these days it seems tempers are running incredibly hot) but like you said, some people are just going to get pissed no matter what you say so in my humble opinion light-hearted videos like these probably aren't the right venue for certain cans of worms. This is not belief in or endorsement of ignoring real problems until they go away (obviously not how it works); but rather the observation and experience that it's difficult enough to have productive discussion on some topics under the very best of circumstances, and these are... Well, almost the worst conditions all things considered, frankly.

Test Drive III steering = confirmed nightmare then :) Looked even worse with the wheel, like all it did was map full wheel turns to the arrow keys anyway making the analogue input pointless. And that framerate... I mean, not bad for a 386 but given the choice I think I'd go with the version that didn't drag the inevitable crashes out longer than neccessary.

Am of the firm belief that if possible, one should always support the things one enjoys. It even makes logical sense regardless of morals; supporting creators of stuff you like is an investment in a future with a higher chance to have more stuff in it that you like. So... If you literally can't pay (yet? Things change!) for whatever legitimate reason I personally wouldn't get on anyone's case for what might still technically be "piracy", but if you can pay for it... Then don't be a dummy, for everyone's sake including your own!

Appreciate the shoutout, looking forward to the next Game Dungeon as always!

I check this site every morning to see if there's any videos or updates; I don't do drugs (I promise, heh) but seeing something new is the most euphoric feeling ever.

As for the art site thing, you should definitely make it something like a Booru, like Vinesauce has. They have their art site on Booru.org and it works out really well for them, especially considering they show off most of the art posted there every time they stream.

That's just my personal preference. Something you can aesthetically alter to give it an Accursed Farms look would also be nice, instead of having to conform to the colors and designs of the website itself, like you'd have to do with DeviantArt.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

Hey Ross, thanks for the video!

You said you wanted to know what people think about the idea of a video going into bad practices on the part of gaming companies - I know I would find it very interesting, if it was done well. It would have to be very carefully documented and avoid unfounded accusations and such like the plague. But done well and with care, I would pay for it, even I hadn't already decided to support your Patreon. I want to have fun when playing games and I don't want big companies fucking it up by making the production a hell for their workers.

I like the degree to which you go above and beyond to deliver all this information about the games you feature, Ross. Like, you put something more into the Game Dungeon to explore what some would consider to be peripheral trivia.

I definitely agree with pirating games you already own i bought medieval 2 total war back in the day lost the cd's then bought it again off steam only to find the steam version is terrible when it comes to modding so i got a pirated version but i also believe in not paying for games like Geo Political simulator which are clearly unfinished products that a company releases and abandons i mean that game specifically is completely broken and in a alpha stage i would never pay for that.

Back by popular demand!