ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: FOLLOW-UP EPISODE #1

I feel when it comes to piracy....if the company isnt selling the game anymore and you know its in the abandonware area I think you do have a right to pirate it and advertise the game like you did with CarnEvil, Quarantine, Strife, and a few others you have played Ross, I know for a fact that I wouldnt even know of these games without you Ross, and when it comes to newer games I feel like those games need to have DRM or something to stop the piracy so the codes you get for whatever say its a new Zany Golf and it comes with a code to a battlefield game beta....those sort of codes I know arent universal and wont work for everyone twice but they should do more of that with the actual games themselves now to maybe cut down on the piracy or do what some companies do and put something into the game for those who pirate the game so it makes it more challenging or impossible to play so you have to buy the game....thats what they should do nowadays

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

This episode features some fantastic work and commentary. I was looking forward to it and you did even better than I'd expected. I had a problem with the pacing however. You'd go from something that fascinated me to something that made me upset about the industry, and the mood shifts made it hard to stay immersed in the video.

Have you considered setting up a patreon account?
Yeah, I plan to after I get a couple more videos out. That's another video to make in itself though, so one step at a time.

Excellent! I look forward to throwing more money at you.

Also, regarding EA's crappy employer practices:

I've got a couple friends in the VFX community, one of whom worked on The Order and a movie from a middling animation house (she couldn't tell me the name of the movie). I don't know who she's working for now, because in VFX, it's extremely common to work your employees to the bone and then fire them. She doesn't care, though, because the prestige of working for Pixar or ILM or on The Order is bigger than the effective slavery. She's moved to California and back multiple times chasing jobs, and she has not been in the industry all that long.

Another friend decided she wasn't going to deal with that shit and is now doing menial part-time labor in San Antonio.

Here are some articles relating to VFX working conditions:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/the-high-cost-of-working-in-visual-effects-animation-61402.html

https://fstoppers.com/post-production/recap-trouble-visual-effects-industry-3718

https://pando.com/2014/12/02/new-court-filing-shows-stunning-new-evidence-of-wage-fixing-by-major-hollywood-animation-studios/

https://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-paying-to-work-for-free-vfx-business-model/

I feel when it comes to piracy....if the company isnt selling the game anymore and you know its in the abandonware area I think you do have a right to pirate it and advertise the game like you did with CarnEvil, Quarantine, Strife, and a few others you have played Ross, I know for a fact that I wouldnt even know of these games without you Ross, and when it comes to newer games I feel like those games need to have DRM or something to stop the piracy so the codes you get for whatever say its a new Zany Golf and it comes with a code to a battlefield game beta....those sort of codes I know arent universal and wont work for everyone twice but they should do more of that with the actual games themselves now to maybe cut down on the piracy or do what some companies do and put something into the game for those who pirate the game so it makes it more challenging or impossible to play so you have to buy the game....thats what they should do nowadays

My issue with the whole EA style DRM's is they make you want to get a pirated version so you don't have to deal with the issues caused by the DRM meant to prevent piracy SimCity but honestly i wouldn't be too sad if pirates actually did bankrupt EA they deserve it i mean they are just a cancer on the industry.

Back by popular demand!

Ross deserves so much more recognition for how much effort he puts into these videos. Goodness golly, I could listen to this guy talk about ANYTHING for hours.

Excellent video.

On piracy: If you already own the game, it isn't piracy. (this is in the law)

If it's Abandonware, (the game is not being supported by the company that owns the rights to the game) it isn't piracy. (this also is in the law)

If you can't afford it right now, but plan on purchasing at a later date, I'd say go ahead and pirate.

If the game is overpriced, but you want to buy it, I'd say to pirate it until the price drops. (and it will)

If you are unsure if it is a game worth purchasing, pirate it to check. (I do this frequently, even if I have the money to buy)

If you never intend to purchase at any price, then there is no revenue lost, and I say pirate it. (I do this with very few games)

If you loathe being treated like a criminal because you legally bought a game, pirate the game instead... There's no DRM in pirated games, and the asshole DRM devs should die a horrible death. (this excludes the way Steam and a very few others do it, as they do their best to minimise the impact of their DRM)

If you have the money, and would otherwise purchase it, but won't because piracy is free... Every pirate on the planet hates you. You should be ashamed of yourself. You selfish bastard. (I could go on, but I won't)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

My issue with the whole EA style DRM's is they make you want to get a pirated version so you don't have to deal with the issues caused by the DRM meant to prevent piracy SimCity but honestly i wouldn't be too sad if pirates actually did bankrupt EA they deserve it i mean they are just a cancer on the industry.

Seanbob the real Cancer is Activision.....EA is an Evil company but are more assholes but Activision is PURE EVIL.............Radical Entertainent, Bizarre Creations, Neversoft, Budcat Creations, RedOctane, Luxoflux these are companies that Activision had under their belt and destroyed so badly.....They KILLED NEVERSOFT too and that company made some of the greatest games I can think of from back in the day......and Activision cant be bothered with licensed games honestly, Family Guy, The James Bond Games, etc etc, Compared to EA, EA is skin cancer compared to Activision which is a real Brain Tumor and Colon Cancer.....

With some DRM motives I think the online pass system sort of sucked especially for PS3 owners but I can forgive EA for that but I cant forgive Activision for being soo fucking retardedly deluded to own Games like Guitar Hero, Skylanders (Spyro The Dragon under a new license), and Call of Duty and release the same bullshit over and over.....it gets annoying....I honestly think EA would be better when it comes to licensed games, I mean they never did a bad Bond Game or Star Wars Licensed Game, I mean they EA is still evil but they arent as EVIL as ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD.....I would rather see Activision go down more than Blizzard, I mean if Blizzard broke off from Activision and took Bungie with them I personally would be laughing my ass off since Activision would soon crumble to smithereens

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

That's a damn shame about Activision. I know that companies don't deserve nostalgia, but they did such tremendous good in their early years.

Seanbob the real Cancer is Activision.....EA is an Evil company but are more assholes but Activision is PURE EVIL.............Radical Entertainent, Bizarre Creations, Neversoft, Budcat Creations, RedOctane, Luxoflux these are companies that Activision had under their belt and destroyed so badly.....They KILLED NEVERSOFT too and that company made some of the greatest games I can think of from back in the day......and Activision cant be bothered with licensed games honestly, Family Guy, The James Bond Games, etc etc, Compared to EA, EA is skin cancer compared to Activision which is a real Brain Tumor and Colon Cancer.....

With some DRM motives I think the online pass system sort of sucked especially for PS3 owners but I can forgive EA for that but I cant forgive Activision for being soo fucking retardedly deluded to own Games like Guitar Hero, Skylanders (Spyro The Dragon under a new license), and Call of Duty and release the same bullshit over and over.....it gets annoying....I honestly think EA would be better when it comes to licensed games, I mean they never did a bad Bond Game or Star Wars Licensed Game, I mean they EA is still evil but they arent as EVIL as ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD.....I would rather see Activision go down more than Blizzard, I mean if Blizzard broke off from Activision and took Bungie with them I personally would be laughing my ass off since Activision would soon crumble to smithereens

I wouldn't call them evil they just milk everything to death but EA has time and time again been caught basically abusing its employee's that is definitely more in the evil category.

Back by popular demand!

Ross, i do reccommend AC: Unity, though not for the story. Story is love story and it doesnt make much sense, with or without assassins/templars tied in it. But it has lot of french revolution stuff to explore, you do meet few historical figures, have lot of weapons, witness beheading of king and such. Most bugs are fixed as well, so it is very playable and i do find it very enjoyable even despite the story.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I wouldn't call them evil they just milk everything to death but EA has time and time again been caught basically abusing its employee's that is definitely more in the evil category.

So you dont think the mismanagement of multiple companies that were a division of Activision isnt evil? I can say that Activision needs to go away.....EA needs to have a red hot poker up their ass that gives them moral choices that either turn it up even hotter or turn it down, and EA may be evil but I Still can forgive them for some of their asshole moves compared to Activision whom I cant........Nevesoft was around for years and died because of Activisions mismanagement at the end of it all, same with Radical, Bizarre Creations, Budcat, RedOctane, Luxoflux, and many others that were a subdivision of Activision, I dont know how Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Bungie (well they are exempt) and Sledgehammer games function working for that fucking company.....and Activision knows how to fuck up on a licensed game......after 007: Blood Stone and Goldeneye Reloaded they fucked up HARD! Family Guy Back to The Multiverse, Duck Dynasty, 007 Legends, these are games that got fucked up because of activision, same with Blur that game was awesome but after Bizarre Creations closed the servers went with them.....

I definitely agree with pirating games you already own i bought medieval 2 total war back in the day lost the cd's then bought it again off steam only to find the steam version is terrible when it comes to modding so i got a pirated version but i also believe in not paying for games like Geo Political simulator which are clearly unfinished products that a company releases and abandons i mean that game specifically is completely broken and in a alpha stage i would never pay for that.

uh... as constant TW player (and mod reviewer), i do say that while steam versions arent exactly great for mods, its rather easy to get mods working on that version as well. Also, since most issues stem from just having steam exe, just replace launcher with cracked one. Works like a charm.

Excellent video.

On piracy: If you already own the game, it isn't piracy. (this is in the law)

If it's Abandonware, (the game is not being supported by the company that owns the rights to the game) it isn't piracy. (this also is in the law)

If you can't afford it right now, but plan on purchasing at a later date, I'd say go ahead and pirate.

If the game is overpriced, but you want to buy it, I'd say to pirate it until the price drops. (and it will)

If you are unsure if it is a game worth purchasing, pirate it to check. (I do this frequently, even if I have the money to buy)

If you never intend to purchase at any price, then there is no revenue lost, and I say pirate it. (I do this with very few games)

If you loathe being treated like a criminal because you legally bought a game, pirate the game instead... There's no DRM in pirated games, and the asshole DRM devs should die a horrible death. (this excludes the way Steam and a very few others do it, as they do their best to minimise the impact of their DRM)

If you have the money, and would otherwise purchase it, but won't because piracy is free... Every pirate on the planet hates you. You should be ashamed of yourself. You selfish bastard. (I could go on, but I won't)

So, game like Battlefield 2 (not being sold or supported anywhere sides amazon anymore, its still in steam but not sold) is abandonware in eyes of law?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

With regards to subtitles, I'm working on them! I have completed up to Zany Golf but I'm probably not going to tackle that one tonight. Sorry. They'll be up soon!

take ur time broski......you do a spectacular job anyways

Thanks. With regards to Ross's love of looking at game maps, I think some of that rubbed off on me, but so far, the only game I want to see a map for is Outlast (with or without the Whistleblower expansion). I can't find ANY maps of Mount Massive Asylum and would love to see one.

In regards to the idea of releasing a video detailing stories of horrible abuses within the games industry, I'm 100% all for it. I would certainly watch it, it's something I am very interested in, and I think the word needs to get out so some companies can start getting at least some little bits of damage in return for the shit they pull, even if it isn't serious.

As for piracy, here's my conditions to allow it:

1. The original developers are no longer getting compensated. And I mean the people, not the company. When EA bought out Maxis, I wouldn't have supported pirating Sims games even though EA's getting the profits now because enough of the original devs were getting paid for sales of the game that it wasn't right. But when EA bought out Westwood and fired most of the staff, I'm not paying for the classic C&C games anymore because very few, if any, of the original devs are getting paid for those sales.

2. There's no new units being produced. And that's produced, not sold. I'm sure there's still copies of games from the '80s floating around that are legally new and available for purchase. I'm not paying for them. I don't even care if the company itself still sells them, either. If they aren't making more, they're saying "This is no longer a product of ours." Obviously, if production is just down for two weeks for maintenance that doesn't count, and if it's digital only that doesn't count either, but if it's a game that is (or at least was at release) only made in hard copies and there's no hard copies being produced, it's free now.

3. No support. Yeah, even if it's still sold, if the dev is a corporation capable of supporting it and decides not to, they've decided that the profits are not worth supporting it. So they don't get the profits. That makes pirating legal by international law of go fuck yourself.

4. Asshole DRM. If the DRM is a hassle, fuck the developer. This includes:

A. Any DRM that renders a game unusable, any amount of the time. That includes always online in singleplayer. Some of us don't have that kind of internet, EA, go fuck yourself.

B. Limited-use disks. I fucking bought Spore, EA. And both of the fucking expansions. I dropped over $100 on this thing. Don't you dare fucking tell me I need to drop $100 again because I switched computers a couple times. Fuck you.

5. You cannot legally play it due to censorship, national bans, region locks, lack of store access or other such limitations. There's a certain limit to what we can expect somebody to go through, too. $1700 for an arcade cabinet is one, but so is having to drive across state or national lines just to make a purchase of the game. Piracy is A-Ok in that case, because it just isn't right to ask for so much just to play a game. The same goes for games that are just massively overpriced, but this is a "bounds of reason" thing. If a game is full-sized and $70, that's a pain in the ass but it's still reasonable. But if it's a multi-player only game with half a dozen maps and barely any content sold entirely off of how cool the trailer looks (*COUGH*TITANFALL*COUGH*) and it's $70, pirate it.

6. For a quick grey area, if the game is just old enough. Okay, where you draw the line varies, but if a game is old enough it should be free. I say 10 years. This is mostly because the game just isn't worth paying for anymore, the devs already made plenty off it, and they haven't put any serious work into that game in years even if it still has support. This is one I don't expect many to agree with me on in principle, but we all fucking do it in practice, so you're all hypocrites if you say this isn't a sufficient justification.

7. For a second grey area, if you morally object to giving the developer any money, or any incentive to continue making games in this series. That means anything produced by EA or Activision. Fuck those guys. If I see ANY game of theirs I want to play, I don't care if it came out last week, I'm pirating it. I am NEVER sending those bastards a single red fucking cent. Ever. Especially not to make Battlefield or Call of Duty.

And that's my opinion on piracy.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

The nitpicker in me demands that I be annoyed that you said "Grammr Russian Front" rather than "Grammar Eastern Front", or at least "Grammar Soviet Front" (ignoring Hungary, Poland, Romania...). Despite me enjoying that bit. Anyway, good follow-up. I particularly liked the segment about driving controls.

6. For a quick grey area, if the game is just old enough. Okay, where you draw the line varies, but if a game is old enough it should be free. I say 10 years. This is mostly because the game just isn't worth paying for anymore, the devs already made plenty off it, and they haven't put any serious work into that game in years even if it still has support. This is one I don't expect many to agree with me on in principle, but we all fucking do it in practice, so you're all hypocrites if you say this isn't a sufficient justification.

Come on, it's already a miracle that GoG and Steam are selling retrogames at decent prizes.

The real question is: how much time has to pass before a game becomes abandonware?

A shameful example of abandonware is the Myst series.

I love Myst and Riven, but their sequels Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelations are not in Steam, nor in GoG.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15168/

Myst III came out in 2001, Myst IV in 2004. I've never played them, and I'd prefer to waiting for a digital release. I don't think that they will be ignored for much time. Anyway, do you think that they are abandonware?