Interview: Valve News Network

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

I meant to have this out a few days ago, but it went up the same day as the last video. This is a recent video interview I had with the Youtube channel Valve News Network. The guy running it (Tyler McVicker) isn't actually a representative of Valve, but he covers a lot of news related to it. He asked me an array of questions that aren't typically covered in others, including many from fans of his channel. I haven't had a chance to look at what it was edited down to since I've been very busy on the next video, but feel free to check it out:

Part 1:

aW67y9e1WLo

Part 2:

O3CkESYDR4A

LINK TO COMMENTS

Oh hey, I have a degree in criminal justice with a minor in psychology, similar to Ross' educational background.

I fix HVAC and refrigeration equipment for a living. 5 years of college, whaaaaat?!

Oh hey, I have a degree in criminal justice with a minor in psychology, similar to Ross' educational background.

I fix HVAC and refrigeration equipment for a living. 5 years of college, whaaaaat?!

I have a major in psychology, and I also do HVAC! What a coincidence! Haha.

If you're feeling gracious, check out my band on SoundCloud. ----> http://www.Soundcloud.com/Luke-and-the-somethings

Hey Ross, I heard your comment about No Man's Sky. I feel like you should give Elite Dangerous a try. You might like it. They are planning to add planetary landings in a few months as well. It's kind of grindy as it is right now, but I feel it really gets the atmosphere of being in space.

lookin good Ross

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

The one question I constantly wonder wasn't asked, and I'm probably the last person who isn't aware of the answer. Either way, I'll ask:

Why did you leave the US to move to Poland?

Ross kinda answered your question here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=1132&v=O3CkESYDR4A

He "didn't have much tying him down to USA at the time, so why not", and moved to Poland. =)

EDIT: Ross, you mentioned that you regret not using actor from Black Mesa that voiced Barney in your Civil Protection, but can't you still collaborate with him on future CP episodes? You're not done with them, right? I mean, you could continue doing them after your big movie, probably using different engine!

The one question I constantly wonder wasn't asked, and I'm probably the last person who isn't aware of the answer. Either way, I'll ask:

To add to what RunninglVlan wrote, Ross actually answered also that his girlfriend is Polish. And I'm his girlfriend. Seriously. 8-)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Nice interview. Interesting stuff here; I'm glad he didn't just unwittingly rehash the same few questions, like a few other interviews seem to have done. Oh, and since we're talking about Poland anyway, would you mind revealing what city you live in?

To add to what RunninglVlan wrote, Ross actually answered also that his girlfriend is Polish. And I'm his girlfriend. Seriously. 8-)

You know that got me thinking how difficult was it for him to get a visa to live there? Because i myself live in the US but i intend on moving to Brazil in the future.

Back by popular demand!

I had a college class once with Tyler, he was pretty cool. He once pulled his laptop out and started playing TF2 in the middle of class once.

You know that got me thinking how difficult was it for him to get a visa to live there? Because i myself live in the US but i intend on moving to Brazil in the future.

Wow! Brazil and Poland... I imagine these are verry different countries. I'm not sure if comparing can tell you anything.

But I can tell you that USA citizens can spend up to 3 months in Poland without a stay permit or a visa. If you want to stay after that time you need a stay permit or a visa. I don't know much about visas. Stay permit takes lots of paper work and some talking to foreigners' office clerks and answering questions. Fun!

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

If you're holding off Patreon because you don't want to surprise people about new kinds of content, just launch now and provide an explanation that you'll be doing new kinds of things in an announcement video.

15$ for 20 megs of internets????

Move to Romania, we have gigabit internet for that money...

I live right next to Los Angeles, California and we're paying 55 a month for basically 6 mbps. :S That's literally the best we can get without having a data cap I couldn't use up in a day.

Even then a good download speed in my house is 600 kbps at best.

Retired Forum Moderator

Mine's probably worse, I only have 1mbps here for an equivalent of $33. I'd upgrade to 5mbps, but there we'll have to put up with a data cap.

Welp, now what?

I live right next to Los Angeles, California and we're paying 55 a month for basically 6 mbps. :S That's literally the best we can get without having a data cap I couldn't use up in a day.

Mine's probably worse, I only have 1mbps here for an equivalent of $33. I'd upgrade to 5mbps, but there we'll have to put up with a data cap.

That's absolutely horrible! And data caps? WTF is up with that? Sounds to me like your ISPs are some greedy bastards trying to cram together as many people as possible using their limited resources. Why sell gigabit internet to one guy when you can split that for 200 people and get more money?

My current plan includes 100Mbps DL/100 Mbps UL and a free usb stick modem with 3,6Mbps speed, I think. I get this for the equivalent of 10$. Speed tests reveal about 95Mbps real speed, matching my HDD speed, I think. They are willing to upgrade this plan to 300Mbps for free if I sign for 12 more months with them but that means I have to buy a new router and an SSD. I actually wonder what private individual needs gigabit internet...

Little Freemans - Episodes 1-5

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD714E092FC2A2A1

Malf Hockery - Episodes 1-5

That's absolutely horrible! And data caps? WTF is up with that? Sounds to me like your ISPs are some greedy bastards trying to cram together as many people as possible using their limited resources. Why sell gigabit internet to one guy when you can split that for 200 people and get more money?

The worst part about it, at least in the case of America, is that a few ISP's even admitted that they could supply fast internet to the entire country without a data cap and still not have their services flooded with traffic. Corporate greed is a force to be reckoned with.

Retired Forum Moderator