ROSS RANTS: 3D

I saw Avatar 4 times. The first three was in an IMAX cinema. It blew me away! Even after the third time, I was totally lost in the 3D. Several times I felt like I could touch the characters. And the screen was big enough so I can't see the edge of the screen, even in my peripheral vision.

The fourth time was a regular "3D" cinema render. It was terrible. The whole seen was rendered behind the movie screen. So I was barely able to make out the 3D. In fact I was bored.

I saw other movies in IMAX too. Like the one about the Mir space station. It was mind blowing too. So my conclusion is see 3D films in IMAX only. It actually works.

That might be the problem then. I only went to normal 3D theaters. Literally the whole time I was watching Avatar I was thinking it needed more depth (except for the scene with the alien pollen or whatever it was). I liked the transparencies from the glass, but it was still too flat.

Fuck you, Creative labs!
Always.

Ross, you NEED to try it.
Oh I will, I'm just waiting for the first generation consumer versions. If I thought DK2 was as good as it was going to get, I would have one by now.

I'd wait on the Oculus Rift, to be honest. Right now, the resolution on the DK2 is still a bit too low, creating a screen door effect you can see if you have 20/20 vision. It's not bad and you get used to it after a while, but it would be better with higher resolutions for each eye.

Also, since it's a developer kit, there's a lot of weirdness, tweaking, and screaming you need to do to even get it to work. When it does work, however, it's spectacular!

I will say this when it came to Avatar.....I am sorry for those who are James Cameron fans but I personally DESPISE THAT CHEAP TRASH POS VISUAL PHENOMENON.....I personally think if i want to see something in 3D from James Cameron, I would want to see The Terminator and its sequel that he was involved with and then maybe see the Alien films he did in 3D aswell but that would be it...I dont think AVATAR was spectacular at all....if it was directed by M Night Shamalayan maybe....but for all I know I may have hated that one too.....I only know I did not like it at all....I feel like it was flatter than sin......I personally think if Ross did it and made it feel flat then id basically be ranting like him

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

The last 3D movie I've seen was Jurassic World. I saw it in IMAX 3D. My takeaway for the 3D in that was:

Meh.

I don't know if it was the movie (which was a decent monster flick) or what, but it'll probably be the last 3D movie I will ever watch. The biggest problem with 3D movies, for me, is that it causes my eyes to hurt after a while.

I think the biggest problem with it is that filmmakers show a close up shot and suddenly cut to a wide shot, then back to a close up for the reaction. For example, you've got someone talking and you've got a waist-up shot of the person. Then something happens off screen and the camera cuts to that thing, say a dinosaur, then cuts back to the person reacting to what they're seeing.

In 2D movies, this is fine and expected. In 3D, it does something to my brain. The sudden change in perspective over a single frame forces me to refocus quickly on what's happening and doing that every 3-5 seconds over the course of a 2 hour+ long movie wears me out and makes my eyes hurt and gives me a headache. It's not the filmmakers' fault either; they have to do that to tell the story. Fading from one shot to the next doesn't help either. While it gives more time to refocus, there's a certain point in the fade-through that I can't focus on either shot.

For me, 3D movies just aren't worth the increased cost for the very little "Oh, that looks cool--and it's gone" benefit it provides. I will probably never watch another 3D movie because of this.

3D gaming is another matter because it's intended to be shown from a first-person perspective (even in 3rd-person mode) and there's not as many jump cuts (as long as you don't count cinematics, then the problem is the same as 3D movies). That's why I adore Half-Life 2 in 3D. There's no camera cuts. It's all one long fluid first-person shot from the train at the beginning to the destruction of the Citadel at the end. If only we could get rid of that damned loading screen, but that's another can of worms...

Well, here's a gif someone asked for on the subreddit.

IdkYpOM.gif

As for 3D, I guess I've yet to see anything that was really enhanced by the 3D effects. Mind you, I don't exactly go out watching a ton of movies.

To be honest only good scene I saw in Avatar(if we talk about 3D) was where they sit in this white prison cell.

And in such non complex scenes this 3D, that cinemas provide us, is good.

If someone want to make 3D movie... it should prepare EVERYTHING to make it 3D, and people who made Avatar can say what the want. This movie was not prepared for it. Some scenes... yes. But overall they just made it like any other normal movie that was later converted to 3D

Any complicated action sceneries for current 3D is just annoying. Human eye is not cool when someone force it to focus on something.

PS. Anyone watched First Jurassic Park in 3D on IMAX? TO be honest this version KILLED Avatar if we talk about quality of 3D. it was not perfect but way better than what I saw In Avatar.

Thanks! Published ... I had to fix a line where Ross says he's impatient... Ross is one of the most patient people in the world :D and he said he's patient ;)

He does seem patient when he isnt frustrated by all the BS that game devs do but then again you do live with him so I guess you would know more than his audience do

I know everything! BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *creepy laugh* Yeah, but seriously, you noticed he is patient and he IS. Especially when compared to me :D He kept on making Freeman's Mind for 7 years! This says something!

I still think its amazing he did finish Freemans mind after taking 7 years for it but then again he did do alot of work on it aswell as other projects like Stranger in Need, Civil Protection, Gorilla Gong among other things, but I can still say he does seem patient on many things but he also seems impatient with other things but maybe thats me being the glass half full kind of guy here but I can still say no matter what he will always make sure he delivers what he said he would deliver

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

Or why console exclusives should die. That sparked curiosity for me after he talked about it in the VVN interview.

Welp, now what?

I tried the NVIDIA 3D mode on some games again after watching the video, and I can certainly see what you mean. I did get an increased sense of depth perception on a lot of them, which looked awesome, especially on Half-Life 2, but I only got the "sticking out of the screen"-feeling on Just Cause 2 with a first person mod since that game was made with NVIDIA 3D vision in mind. I used the red/cyan 3D glasses, which messed up all the colours and made it hard to see a lot of times, but I still think it was cool.

I think the game that immersed me the most with 3D mode would have to be Dirt 3 though. I used the first person perspective and I literally felt like I was inside the car. The track I raced on was really dark and the glasses made it even worse, but it still felt so REAL...

I tried the NVIDIA 3D mode on some games again after watching the video, and I can certainly see what you mean. I did get an increased sense of depth perception on a lot of them, which looked awesome, especially on Half-Life 2, but I only got the "sticking out of the screen"-feeling on Just Cause 2 with a first person mod since that game was made with NVIDIA 3D vision in mind. I used the red/cyan 3D glasses, which messed up all the colours and made it hard to see a lot of times, but I still think it was cool.

I think the game that immersed me the most with 3D mode would have to be Dirt 3 though. I used the first person perspective and I literally felt like I was inside the car. The track I raced on was really dark and the glasses made it even worse, but it still felt so REAL...

You know I found something that proves it was more than my imagination:

mnXkhTv.jpg

Now this is only using anaglyph mode, but back when I had an s-3d setup, I was using page-flipped shutter glasses. Regardless, if you look at these, you can tell there's definitely a difference between the two. Unfortunately it's likely multiple settings are different, but just from that screenshot I think the TriDef one definitely looks better. The roof windows and general perspective just seems better somehow.

Is that Mirrors Edge I see Ross? that would be an awesome game for the RGD......since you dont see many Parkour FPS style games anymore

I really want to change my profile picture to this

Gz7PDsU.png

Whenever i try it just gives me a blank white screen :\

Ross power! :lol:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I wish Ross was more powerful than Gaben soo all the PC elitists would pray to Ross and say Gaben gave birth to Ross and all the world enjoyed what The almighty Ross gave us which was The Mind of The FREE MAN and The Protection that was Civil

(...)pray to Ross and say Gaben gave birth to Ross and all the world enjoyed what The almighty Ross gave us which was The Mind of The FREE MAN and The Protection that was Civil

Gaben... God?

Ross... Jesus?

ross_gaben_02_small.jpg

pretty much bur have it so Gaben isnt who they pray to they pray to Ross!

(...)pray to Ross and say Gaben gave birth to Ross and all the world enjoyed what The almighty Ross gave us which was The Mind of The FREE MAN and The Protection that was Civil

Gaben... God?

Ross... Jesus?

Amazing.

"I'm not really the sentimental type, but.... well, no, I'm not."

I'd probably follow a cult that idolizes Ross. So long as the holy text is common sense and it's not as closed down as some of the other ones (cough cough Scientology)