ROSS RANTS: 3D

Just a quick heads up, folks.

My computer is currently handicapped as I just recently bought new hardware and it's giving me such trouble to get it all up and running again. Subtitles for this video and any future video are on hold until I can get everything sorted. Hope it won't take too long.

Thanks in advance for the patience. :)

Man, simulated surround audio touches on even more of my rage than I'd thought. At first I was just angry because of how companies mislead consumers with headphone specifications. Then I was trying to remember the first time I heard of a card that processed sound like that, guess what, it would have been an Aureal card. It was over this exact thing that Creative ruined them with lawsuit costs. Then they bought the patents and sat on them.

Fuck you, Creative labs!

I've never really cared about 3D because I have reduced eyesight so 3D typically gives me a headache when I try to watch it since I am straining my eyes more. I am very skeptical about VR technology because of this but if they can make it so I can view 3D without feeling like my eyes are being pulled out of their sockets, I'm all for it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I just finished watching the video.

Ross, I have the Oculus Rift DK2 and I haven't played with it much yet (I used it on my old computer setup but haven't tried it yet on my new because I'm still trying to get it working).

I played Half-Life 2 with the DK2.

And my jaw dropped.

After the initial problems with the G-Man sequence at the beginning, once I got onto the train and in control of Gordon, it was like I was almost transported into the world of City 17. Almost. I knew I was sitting there on my chair with this contraption on my face. I could hear my cat meowing for attention every once in a while. I could hear my A/C unit in my window. I knew I was still in my room. But, the visuals, when my computer wasn't chugging away, was intense. When Alyx Vance first appeared, it was like she was right there. Following her to Kleiner's lab... it felt like I could reach out and touch her.

The biggest problem here are the loading screens. When you're in motion and suddenly your vision stops because of the map load, it feels like someone pulled the rug out from under you. Map loads alone made me seasick and I don't get seasick easily. A dirty remedy for this was, whenever I knew a map load was coming up, I would have to shut my eyes until I was in the next map. And if my computer decides to pause for a half second, look out...

I want to try it on my new system... I can't wait! :)

I generally don't mind 3D, but I typically find it works better in animated movies. I saw Inside Out last week and the 3D there was amazing, whereas with Ant-Man (most recent live-action movie I saw), it didn't really add anything special.

I have yet to really try the Oculus Rift, though it may be hard for me because I need glasses.

So, my new rig is slowly coming together (though I'm having to contend with it freezing up on me for some reason--I think I need better cooling).

Subtitles are proceeding apace--they're all typed up and 3/4 of the way timed out. I should be done with the subtitles by tomorrow.

As to Oculus Rift. I'm still trying to get that working. As this is a developer unit, I'm having to contend with weirdness. I haven't been able to get Half-Life 2 working yet in it because I think Valve changed their support for it for the upcoming Vive, but I'm working on it. I downloaded Affected, a horror game demo specifically made for the Rift to try it out.

I might need a new video card because, while my computer can now certainly handle it (the running of the game), I can't get the necessary 75fps on the Rift. It's all my video card, I know it. Since I'm getting less than 75fps, it's causing juddering and makes it nigh-on unplayable. I'll report back when I can get a new video card.

With needing glasses for the Rift, know that at least the DK2 edition provides two different sets of lenses, one for people with glasses (I believe). They're more inset to allow for the space between your eyes and the glasses. I don't wear glasses myself and I don't know if the frames would scratch the lenses or not, so I'm not really the best person to speak on that. I just wanted to throw that information out there.

I'm excited for the Vive and the upcoming Hololens. VR and AR. Wave of the future! There's also facilities opening up with physical walls and backpack mounted VR devices where you can actually run around in a world with things you can touch as well as see in the VR world. It's called The Void and I'd love to check it out...one of these days.

Now, if only we could get a working holodeck... 8-)

I had a chance to use DK2(I had to buy new car back so no free money :/)

Lots of people have problem with juddering, mostly on Nvidia cards.

Most of time setting up extended display mode and DK1 legacy support help.

Also even if Oculus said that Windows theme should be on. turning on classic mode sometimes help.

Also Windows like to set every display to 60Hz so in resolution setting you should check if windows is not messing this(not in graphic card panel but on windows proprietaries )

Sorry for offtop...

Well that's pretty much what I think of 3D currently.

There used to be 45 minute long Imax 3D movies, those were insane.

One was about dinosaurs, one of them was an underwater documentary and if I'm not mistaken

there was another one wich was like a rollercoaster ride. Now those were pretty amazing.

You could actually feel like touching the stuff coming out of the screen.

Avatar's 3D was arguably the best of the "modern" 3D but still it's like, look at that thing

it's slightly closer to you than that other thing over there. Why even go the extra cost

of making your movie 3D when you could easily achieve the same effect with some

depth of field blurring on your camera.

Also the term 3D kinda annoys me because the stuff we see is already 3D, even though

we see it projected on a 2D surface our eyes can know what is distant and what is closer.

Things are already 3D, the effects just make them pop out of the screen.

So I think we should call the illusion of making flat surfaces pop out as "lame holograms"

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

I saw Avatar 4 times. The first three was in an IMAX cinema. It blew me away! Even after the third time, I was totally lost in the 3D. Several times I felt like I could touch the characters. And the screen was big enough so I can't see the edge of the screen, even in my peripheral vision.

The fourth time was a regular "3D" cinema render. It was terrible. The whole seen was rendered behind the movie screen. So I was barely able to make out the 3D. In fact I was bored.

I saw other movies in IMAX too. Like the one about the Mir space station. It was mind blowing too. So my conclusion is see 3D films in IMAX only. It actually works.

I do have problems that cause me not to be able to see in 3D. I can't see stereograms (they all look like tv static to me)

ArWY-Ck-CPc

yeah, i know it's a joke. :-)

But depth perception in general is a problem for me. In fact I don't drive because of vision issues, however, I did watch the video despite your comments that this video does not concern me. I consider the fact that I haven't been in one single bar fight in my life a way of justifying myself watching this video.

As a bit of irony, though, I do enjoy optical illusions.

Here's one of my favorite ones. Strobe animated sculptures.

nom7NiTLrFg

oh and nice video. How about giving us a regular progress of how you're coming on the movie?

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

I've only seen one example of 3D that really made it seem like a step forward in immersive entertainment and that was the VOX Machinae demo for the Oculus Rift I managed to play at a local "gamer" cafe. That thing sucked you right in and held you in from the moment you put on the headset. It is AMAZINGLY well done.

I've never really cared for 3D movies that often. Mainly because it's really uncomfortable for me to watch. I either... 1. wear the 3D glasses, see the 3D but have it all blurry. 2. Don't wear the glasses and go half-blind because of the screen. Or... 3. wear both and be annoyed by how uncomfortable it weighs my face down. XD So... 3D movies, I've only watched once or twice.

However... 3D video games? Now, THAT is where it's at.

I've used an Oculus Rift before, and oh damn, it was UNREAL. It really was like stepping into another universe, like... stepping into a dream. And it was the most amazing 3D thing I've ever experienced in my life. Combine the Oculus rift and a sandbox game, and you will feel like God himself. The only problem is... I get car sick... so I can only really play 20 minutes at a time before I start feeling woozy (with the oculus on). But when I was playing Team Fortress 2 with the Oculus Rift, despite being sick, I kept playing. The side effects were worth it.

Even if the graphics are absolute sh*t, the 3D makes it seem so real. And it REALLY messes with your head. The test map/game that the Oculus Rift came with was very dodgy looking. But I was too busy smiling(and vomiting) to care about the graphics, it went way over my head. You could see it on the laptop monitor and be like; "Oh, yeah. Wow. This looks straight from 90's."

Then the Oculus Rift on: "What the sh*t is happening to my brain right now."

Wearing an Oculus Rift or similar device is an experience I think EVERYONE should have at least once in their lifetime.

I guess it also helps that I've spent most of my life in a blurred state without glasses. I have terrible eye sight, and glasses basically save my life. So wearing the Oculus Rift was freaking magical. Not wearing glasses, but still seeing things far away. Like... that was life changing. It was like having the eyesight of a 5 year old. Young again!

Also, it feels like I'm promoting the Oculus Rift in some way. XD I'm so sorry. I actually don't know of any other similar device or company.

Ross, you NEED to try it.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

I generally don't mind 3D, but I typically find it works better in animated movies. I saw Inside Out last week and the 3D there was amazing, whereas with Ant-Man (most recent live-action movie I saw), it didn't really add anything special.

I have yet to really try the Oculus Rift, though it may be hard for me because I need glasses.

I am of the same opinion on 3D. Animated movies are better, mainly because they are already animated, they are brighter and easier to watch and you don't get the cardboard effect. However, IMAX 3D works quite well on most movies. I saw 2 movies in IMAX 3D (Ant-man and Suckerpunch) and both times they were stunning experiences. The cardboard effect was simply not there. It really felt like things were extending out of the screen and had depth. My only issue is that I need glasses so I have to wear both glasses and 3D glasses, which makes the whole thing a bit awkward and tiring after a while.

Unless you have a really serious eyesight problem, the Oculus rift doesn't require glasses normally and it feels like you are actually there.

I've only tried 3D twice in my life, both the blue-red glass style from a short educational presentation as a kid and the 3D TV in a mall a couple of years ago, the differences were very stark. I remember freaking out on the blue-red glass style 3D that I could reach out my hand on an object coming out on the screen. The 3D TV didn't impress me much. Ross's description of modern 3D movies being flat is the most accurate description, at least for me.

I have yet to try 3D with games. We don't have the Oculus Rift on sale here as far as I know (would be nice to try it though). The closest I can get to games in 3D here are the PS3 games that support 3D, but I didn't get to try it.

Welp, now what?

Thanks! Published ... I had to fix a line where Ross says he's impatient... Ross is one of the most patient people in the world :D and he said he's patient ;)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Thanks! Published ... I had to fix a line where Ross says he's impatient... Ross is one of the most patient people in the world :D and he said he's patient ;)

He does seem patient when he isnt frustrated by all the BS that game devs do but then again you do live with him so I guess you would know more than his audience do

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Oops, okay. Thanks for the fix!

I guess "patient" didn't make sense to me because he was saying how he didn't go to the theaters because it's "kind of pricey" and if someone is impatient, they don't want to spend the time watching a movie. But I'm okay with "patient" as well. :)

He does seem patient when he isnt frustrated by all the BS that game devs do but then again you do live with him so I guess you would know more than his audience do

I know everything! BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *creepy laugh* Yeah, but seriously, you noticed he is patient and he IS. Especially when compared to me :D He kept on making Freeman's Mind for 7 years! This says something!

Oops, okay. Thanks for the fix!

I guess "patient" didn't make sense to me because he was saying how he didn't go to the theaters because it's "kind of pricey" and if someone is impatient, they don't want to spend the time watching a movie. But I'm okay with "patient" as well. :)

Well, it depends on the context ;) since he can be patient to wait for a movie to show up on "dvd" ;)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^