Issues looking for employment?

Sign in to follow this  

I only was wondering, has anyone here had issues looking for employment in any field at all?

I have been dealing with this sort of issue for a while, I just had a "not interview" as in I was asked to come in for an interview but the interview never took place

So naturally I am a bit upset, but I only wanted to see what others have had to deal with, if you have had issues like that, where you spend all that time and money to get ready for an interview that never happens, or even a job you think you can get but you never do get it, if anyone has had this issue, by all means post it here, I think we all have had those companies try and humiliate you

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Story of my life really. Out of all the jobs I've applied, out of all the thing's I've tried, I've only had like 5 interviews, 1 job (which lasted 2 months), and like 3 of them were during job fairs or something or other, so they were basically interviewing everyone.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Story of my life really. Out of all the jobs I've applied, out of all the thing's I've tried, I've only had like 5 interviews, 1 job (which lasted 2 months), and like 3 of them were during job fairs or something or other, so they were basically interviewing everyone.

well I just tried to get a job with a security company and they were very discriminatory...not trying with them or another one that just said Im gonna take a job I never even said I was going to so theres 2 that I wont go to ever again, I wasted time and money both times so I am a bit pissed off because of it

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I've had the application machine going for a year now... I have gotten called back a whopping 2 times for over 200 applications. 1 of them said I was overqualified for a computer repair position, and they didn't want me to embarrass the owner who had been repairing computers professionally for 15 years. The other ended up with me showing up for the interview, then finding out they had already filled the position a week earlier. (they only told me that AFTER the interview, and they had called me early that morning sounding like it was urgent that I get in for the interview ASAP)

In short, I don't like interviews, applications, or even modern jobs.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

X3 I feel sorta bad now. I got a job within one month of handing out my resume, in the most unemployed state in Australia. And then there's you guys who are WAAAY more qualified than me, yet you get Jack all. :I

Sorry.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Sorry.

Don't apologize, unless you're the cause of us not being hired... And I seriously doubt you have enough global clout to do so, and even more doubt that you would have the inclination to do so.

I've had about 3 companies say I'm perfect for the position but all of them were companies over an hour away with no affordable housing options for someone with currently no money. I even almost got a remote contracted intro job at 24/h but the project got canceled in the planning phase.

Other than that there's surprisingly very little job opportunities for an intro game programmer in the Greater Los Angeles and surrounding area.

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm currently starting this looking-for-jobs lark, so needless to say I'll have stories to tell in due time.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Makes me glad that in 4-5 years when I have my MPA (here's hoping, anyway) that I'll be going into government work. You know exactly where to apply and interviews are very structured if they happen at all.

They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing.

Government jobs have the benefit of extreme levels of job security... Unfortunately, that also means that unless they are expanding their workforce, or someone retires/dies, there aren't any jobs available.

Government jobs have the benefit of extreme levels of job security... Unfortunately, that also means that unless they are expanding their workforce, or someone retires/dies, there aren't any jobs available.

Depends on what you want to do for them, I guess. One contemporary example is that a buttload of people in acquisitions are going to be force retired soon so there's gonna be plenty of stuff there. And there's always people dying or retiring, the Feds employ 3 million people and the state and local governments employ a further 16 million. That's the benefit of my choice of the MPA, it's the MBA for the government. Basically means I don't have to be discriminatory in what I apply to when I do, unless it's a technical position like engineering or IT. Plus with only 10% of the US population having a Master's degree and USAJOBS (Feds) listing 300,000 jobs a year on average (more if you're a civil servant already, for internal transfers and promotions) I can be fairly assured that it'll all fall into place without too much stress.

Have you guys looked into call centers? They usually don't care if you're overqualified (only qualification needed tends to be high school diploma). It's a boring job and you may or may not be takign calls from shitty people if you work on shitty accounts (example: calling people to colect debt) but some others are quite nice, you could end up doing polls on the phone or such, which is tedious but.. what job that you get into because you have no other option isn't? I'd rather work at a call center than security. By much. Idk if it's because I live in a third world country but that's what most people under 30 (and that know english) do.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Well, considering my extreme social anxiety that seems to only manifest at that intensity in regards to phone calls, that'd be a nightmare job for me. :x Like even calling people I know causes hyperventilation it's super weird.

If anything I need to spiff up my portfolio before sending out more applications.

Retired Forum Moderator

Well, considering my extreme social anxiety that seems to only manifest at that intensity in regards to phone calls, that'd be a nightmare job for me. :x Like even calling people I know causes hyperventilation it's super weird.

If anything I need to spiff up my portfolio before sending out more applications.

You could always try fudging your way into a more boring/classic programming job while you put together a portfolio on the side.

I might have to. I have some stuff I can put into it right now but it needs a lot of polishing before I'm confident in showing it off.

Retired Forum Moderator

I might have to. I have some stuff I can put into it right now but it needs a lot of polishing before I'm confident in showing it off.

Not sure I would phrase it as 'have to.' A pretty generic programming job'll probably pay quite a bit better than the gaming industry'll pay you but I would still chase the one you like more.

O' course this is all from a guy who quit Engineering in his first year for History, and later, gubbermint. So prepare your statement salt for pinching.

Have you guys looked into call centers?

I refuse to even consider a normal call center. The only people that do well, and don't end up with crippling levels of stress, are those that would be at home trying to sell you a used 2002 Hyundai with 110k miles and no airbag for $8K.

Non-standard call centers are like where I worked last year... Receive calls for modem troubleshooting, and that's it. Quite fun when it comes right down to it.

Ive been searching and searching, but no one even answers.

Im joining the military next summer, let us hope Ill fit in there so that I can have a military career.

"Life sucks sober!"

Ive been searching and searching, but no one even answers.

Im joining the military next summer, let us hope Ill fit in there so that I can have a military career.

Officer or enlisted?