Issues looking for employment?

Sign in to follow this  

I sort of wish the local government around me would let me work for them even if its private security I have the certifications

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I sort of wish the local government around me would let me work for them even if its private security I have the certifications

Local government doesn't really have any need for security. Any part of government that needs that gets a contractor. The closest you'd get is police officer.

The Feds and sometimes the State are who's hiring, anyway. The local govies are still coming out of the recession. You could always look into the Fed job site, USAJOBS.gov, though you'll be waiting a while and you'll have better chances if you're willing to move.

They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing.

Ive been searching and searching, but no one even answers.

Im joining the military next summer, let us hope Ill fit in there so that I can have a military career.

Officer or enlisted?

Sorry for the really late answer (I have the memory of a goldfish at times)

I was just gonna enlist, I dont think I have the grades or the brains to become an officer.

I was thinking about going "Markstrid" (ground combat) which is basically armored vehicles such as tanks and IFVs but also mechanized infantry (or whatever its called).

I did a test that you can do online for the swedish military, and I got a 79% at helicopter pilot (even though I have terrible eyesight).

"Life sucks sober!"

Eyesight can be corrected, and isn't as important for heli pilots as it is for fighter pilots. If you can, I'd say try it out... Military service is usually the highlight of people's lives, and has been know to generate lasting marriages.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Eyesight can be corrected, and isn't as important for heli pilots as it is for fighter pilots. If you can, I'd say try it out... Military service is usually the highlight of people's lives, and has been know to generate lasting marriages.

Can't tell if sarcastic or overly optimistic.

Informed. I was well on my way to being a fighter pilot when medical issues arose from my heatstroke when I was 13. (I had trouble getting under the weight limit, and getting a decent mile run time)

Informed. I was well on my way to being a fighter pilot when medical issues arose from my heatstroke when I was 13. (I had trouble getting under the weight limit, and getting a decent mile run time)

I more meant the 'highlight of your life' and 'lasting marriages' bit but if you choose to believe those things, then I won't trouble you with the military divorce rate.

So I seem to have landed my 2nd job (ever), and I start today. Funny thing is, there was no interview, I just applied (the same day I asked), and a couple of days later I got a text (that's right, a text, not a phone call but a text) asking if I could start working on Monday.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Great to hear it Ninja!

As for me, Imma probably do a call-centre-type job for the time being, while I look for other, better jobs.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Yeah, I think helicopter pilots can actually wear lenses (or even glasses) here. Fighter pilot is my dream job but Im too tall and my eyes are too bad.

Every person that has done military service (that Ive talked to) says that its one of the best things they ever did. Its really too bad its not mandatory anymore... Alot of people got their lives turned around after the basic training.

"Life sucks sober!"

Yeah, I think helicopter pilots can actually wear lenses (or even glasses) here. Fighter pilot is my dream job but Im too tall and my eyes are too bad.

Every person that has done military service (that Ive talked to) says that its one of the best things they ever did. Its really too bad its not mandatory anymore... Alot of people got their lives turned around after the basic training.

No thanks, I'd rather not be forced into the military, danke schoen.

No thanks, I'd rather not be forced into the military, danke schoen.

I can understand that.

However, basic training gives you alot of experience for life. You learn alot of valuable skills, certain people get their lifes turned around completely etc.

It "turns boys into men".

Then again, I totally understand that someone doesnt want to get forced into a war where they may die.

It would be great if you could do something like basic military training without joining the military (you cant do that here, dont know about other countries) but that would cost alot of money for the governments...

"Life sucks sober!"

I can understand that.

However, basic training gives you alot of experience for life. You learn alot of valuable skills, certain people get their lifes turned around completely etc.

It "turns boys into men".

Then again, I totally understand that someone doesnt want to get forced into a war where they may die.

It would be great if you could do something like basic military training without joining the military (you cant do that here, dont know about other countries) but that would cost alot of money for the governments...

It's not just about the war, it's the taking of the choice. If someone wants to join the military, that's great and brave and all that, but conscription...that's just evil. Maybe if the nation were about to collapse in a war going poorly, I could see it justified, but just for 'personality improvement' on the population? No. I'm not interested in being a part of a Starship Troopers state.

I'm sure putting someone to work in the (modern) coal mines for a few years would do a lot for people in terms of physical ability, respect for labor and general reduction in whininess but we'd see that as some serious North Korea/Stalin shit. I don't get why people have a fetish for the military doing the same.

I have to add that troops made of conscripts are usually of very poor quality, largely unmotivated and the army doesn't have the resources to train them properly. Basically - cannon fodder...

And that is before saying that a lot of conscript's scope of military activity would be as personal slave to an officer, toilng in his CO's garden, or running errands for an NCO who has found yet another piece of equipment to sell for personal gain.

I personally found my officers course a very interesting experience but I liked it right then and it motivated me... For some other people doing it with me it was a total waste of time and resources - they shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the army...

So, encourage young people to do it - yes. Conscription? No.

Regards

+1

+1

General statistics usually don't cover the types of people that would willingly join this particular online community. (just look at the parsonality type thread, and you'll see why)

So I got offered an interview as game designer after a friend referred me but it turns out it's 2 1/2 hours away from where I live and I have no convenient way of getting out there. :(

The search continues.

Retired Forum Moderator

So I got offered an interview as game designer after a friend referred me but it turns out it's 2 1/2 hours away from where I live and I have no convenient way of getting out there. :(

The search continues.

You should look into moving. I'll probably travel several states to get into an entry level position when I'm out of uni. You can set down the hardwood floors later.

There are a lot of local positions (between 15 - 50 minutes away) so moving isn't entirely necessary, I just seem to have the luck that any positions that are almost handed to me have the one drawback of being too far away. That and I don't entirely have the funds to get up and move right now.

Retired Forum Moderator

I have to add that troops made of conscripts are usually of very poor quality, largely unmotivated and the army doesn't have the resources to train them properly. Basically - cannon fodder...

And that is before saying that a lot of conscript's scope of military activity would be as personal slave to an officer, toilng in his CO's garden, or running errands for an NCO who has found yet another piece of equipment to sell for personal gain.

I personally found my officers course a very interesting experience but I liked it right then and it motivated me... For some other people doing it with me it was a total waste of time and resources - they shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the army...

Regards

These are also very good points. Again, there should be some sort of alternative which doesnt force you into the armed forces.

I guess it would be like military school but for adults.

But yeah, if someone doesnt want to die, they shouldnt have to, I agree.

Edit: I almost forgot, I was employed at mcdonalds for 2 weeks (test period) and boy, was it weird.

The first 2 days I got to learn making fries and burgers. I have a very high tolerance for stress, so that was not the problem for me. The problem was that I cannot multi-task in such a high tempo.

After those 2 days I was supposed to learn how to use the register but that was a stressful day with LOADS of people wanting food (during the yearly soccer-week, there are about a trillion of norweigan kids here). So instead of training me how to use the register they just put me there and told me to "ask someone if you run into problems".

It did not work out. I didnt know what to push (it doesnt say "burgers" or "wraps" it says "B321" and "B451") and when I asked for help I just got stressed people saying: "You dont know THAT? Why are you at the register?!"

I also got to work for 3 days and then had a week of, which (for me) is a very bad way to learn and get into the rythm of things.

After those "two weeks" (it was more like 5 days total) they told me that I wasnt cut out for that line of work. I feel like if Ive been given more days to work, I might have actually gotten the know-how.

The job search goes on...

"Life sucks sober!"

Regards

These are also very good points. Again, there should be some sort of alternative which doesnt force you into the armed forces.

I guess it would be like military school but for adults.

But yeah, if someone doesnt want to die, they shouldnt have to, I agree.

I'd be in favor of a form of enlistment that inviolably agrees to never place you in or near combat. It'd be like regular enlistment except there's zero chance of you being infantry. You'd be a chef, or a mechanic, or a clerk or just about anything else. If your unit gets sent overseas you get moved to someplace else in the States, or in your state, or city or whatever the best they can do is.

Some sort of base garrison maybe? Instead of being tied to a unit you're tied to the facility.

And of course it would never be mandatory.