Ross's fun-filled Beg-A-Thon!

$10 a month...go! I think the next time I get a raise (which I expect March, probably) I'll raise it to $20.

I've always felt a little guilty watching the downloaded copies of Freeman's Mind, since I know you worked hard on them yet aren't getting any compensation, so I think this will assuage that. (And, yes, I know you put them out voluntarily, they're not illegal rips or anything, so I really shouldn't feel guilty, but I still do a bit). And hearing how little you make compared to me, and how awesome you just seem in general, you definitely deserve something.

Also, about Patreon, have you considered you still might get more through them, simply through more people donating, rather than going through PayPal? I don't know what the actual numbers would be, so I could easily be wrong, but it's something you could consider.

Holy shit, over $10,000 already. That's not even counting monthly stuff that will happen as time goes on. Damn Ross, you got a really dedicated fan base here.

100% is going to be a cut-rate clown

Scott: "Hey guys, I want some money. I'm not doing it on Patreon, I'm not really giving any prizes, I won't stop making videos if I don't get any, and I'm still not making Freeman's Mind 2 for a couple more years if ever."

Fans: "Sounds fair. Here's $10,000 $11,000 $12,000 $13,000 $14,000 $15,000."

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I don't really understand how i'm a little baby. I feel kinda offended.
You wouldn't be the baby. His expression resembles my own to what you're saying. VTM Bloodlines is a longer game than Half-Life.

$10 a month...go! I think the next time I get a raise (which I expect March, probably) I'll raise it to $20.

I've always felt a little guilty watching the downloaded copies of Freeman's Mind, since I know you worked hard on them yet aren't getting any compensation, so I think this will assuage that. (And, yes, I know you put them out voluntarily, they're not illegal rips or anything, so I really shouldn't feel guilty, but I still do a bit). And hearing how little you make compared to me, and how awesome you just seem in general, you definitely deserve something.

Also, about Patreon, have you considered you still might get more through them, simply through more people donating, rather than going through PayPal? I don't know what the actual numbers would be, so I could easily be wrong, but it's something you could consider.

It's possible, but I didn't like how it had to be done as a service, which affects my taxes, plus the additional fees + their recent public perception after being hacked didn't help either. Besides, if people really don't want to use Paypal, they can always email me or I have the bitcoin option too. It's like the video said, my heart really isn't into business stuff, I look at it as a means to an end. I only want money to the point I don't have to worry about it.

Scott: "Hey guys, I want some money. I'm not doing it on Patreon, I'm not really giving any prizes, I won't stop making videos if I don't get any, and I'm still not making Freeman's Mind 2 for a couple more years if ever."

Fans: "Sounds fair. Here's 11,000 dollars."

Kinda reminds me of the SSD

Ross: "Hey guys if you want videos in 720p I'm gonna need about $500"

Fans: "well fuck you Ross here's $18,000"

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Hey Ross,

first of all congratulations on a successful fundraiser ! Since I'm not in a great financial situation myself ( university student, part time job, just enough to keep the wolfs at bay ) I decided to maybe try and help in a different way. So hold on to your seats cuz this is a doozie.

I'd like you to do a full financial report on your monthly expenses. That includes food, rent and utilities costs, transportation (if any), internet and any related services (examples are phone or TV) costs. No need to be specific, take averages. Next what is your legal status in Poland ? What taxes do you pay and what social security or health coverage you have ?

I ask this for two reasons :

1) I'm interested how expensive is to live in Poland ?

2) To determine how many people need to donate monthly (1 person / 1 $ )for you to have a sustainable living.

I think it is always better to have a clear view of one's financial situation.

Now onto the second part.

-----------------------THE MOVIE !--------------------------

Here I'm going to ask you for a plan.

I can assume that currently you are making your movie as a one man super machine. You are the writer, the director, the voice actor, the animator, the modeler, the research department, the secretary, the cab drive-- oh wait, you don't have a car. So again I assume that your project is in all stages and in none. That is where the plan comes in.

So please provide a report of how much work has been completed and a plan for what do you still need.

Report can be short, for example "Animation - 2%"(that just imagining them in your mind) or "Writing - 80 %" (most of a script is complete it's not just scribbles on the wall).

The PLAN should be detailed. Again example: " I need 3d models for a medieval setting specifically castle room decorations. The models must be in a format that unreal engine can read or in a format that can be easily converted to a readable one."

I ask for the plan again for two reasons:

1) I would like to see a clear timetable (The movie in 2017 for example) and Ross's organizational skills.

2) The plan gives people the opportunity to help even if they can't donate (people like me!)

Well that is it. It's late, I'm tired and I'm hitting the sack. Goodnight.

I've been watching your videos for years, but wanted to say hi.

A year ago I jacked in a well-paid job to follow my dream of designing board games professionally, and that's gone about as well as could be expected. I'm doing freelance web design work on the side to pay my rent, but I can honestly say that I have never been happier. Doing what you love is absolutely more important than making money, although I too wish I didn't have a perpetual cloud of doom on the horizon.

So I guess I just wanted to say keep up the good work, and sorry I can't kick anything in this time around. If you're ever in the UK, first round is on me.

Also, I was re-watching this and I know Ross said he's not much of a buisness person but I had an idea, I'm sure im not the first person to say this but couldn't you do something like physical DVDs, especially for The Movie. I would definatly buy a Freeman's Mind DVD box set. I know there are usually extras or something but in all reality, just being able to plop a DVD into a player would be awesome. Only other web series I can think of that did this was Red vs. Blue, but seriously, it would be awesome.

Though if you wouldn't do a DVD box set for Freeman's mind I would without a doubt suggest doing it for The Movie. Like have it free digitally, but if you want a physical copy, you're gonna have to either download the movie and burn it to a DVD yourself OR you could pay $10 plus shipping to get the DVDS, some extras, and maybe even DVD cover and box art. You'd still have everything for free online, just a little more for the physical thing.

...I decided to maybe try and help in a different way. [...]

I'd like you to do a full financial report on your monthly expenses. That includes food, rent and utilities costs, transportation (if any), internet and any related services (examples are phone or TV) costs.

How is that any kind of help? That's offensively intrusive, IMO. Living up to your forum name I guess. :D

He's a 30 year old man who's shockingly transparent for a YouTuber, and he's consistently producing awesome content that lots of people like on a budget that most couldn't survive on. And he's done it for years. I'm sure he can get along without comments from the personal finance peanut gallery. That would just be a burden. No one has a reason to think there's any mishandling of money going on. I think he's fine not laying his personal finances out to that detail. He's not a 501 c3 or other charitable organization; people are giving gifts, not donations (in spite of the word "donation" being used).

(Not to mention, for the work he's done, if he blew all $11,000 on strippers and party balloons, or champagne [Freeman's mind, Episode 21!] it would be fine with me. He's earned it. :lol: )

In fact, I think he's so worthy, especially given the years of laughs I've gotten, that even in spite of him sitting at $11,000 in donations right now, I'm planning on donating to make good on all the giggles and fun times I've had. I'd do it even if it was at $110,000 in donations. In fact, I hope he gets there! Every month! He's ten times more amusing than someone who actually makes that kind of money like PewDiePie :lol:

You're asking for an insane amount of personal information combined with fore-site granted to large development teams. I'm not speaking on his behalf, just curious how you plan to use that information.

Well good morning to you too. Ok let me clear this up. "All i need is your credit card number, your social security number and a copy of your passport or drivers license, then make a down payment of 250 $ and you will be swimming in cash in no time".

THAT is not what i want. I'm just interested in how expensive is to live in Poland and I'm not asking for specifics.

I don't need or ask for proof.

Here is mine for example :

Electronics engineering student from Lithuania (that is a country next to Poland, google map it)

Living expenses:

Rent : 150 Euros (but since I'm sharing it's 75 )

Food: 30 Eur a week so lets say 30*4= 120 Euros

Utilities: 12 (internet) + 68 (water + heat) + 22 (electricity) = 102 Euros (again I'm sharing so its cut in half 51)

Total: around 246 Euros

Now how much personal information was that ?

An awesome guy like Ross should get all the help he can get. And maybe one of us know something that can help.

About The PLAN for THE MOVIE.

That is a great way to present your project and to get people to help you.

A great example for all of you bronies (mlp fans) is Double Rainboom (damm the site is down).

Basically it was a single director using volunteers as his development team. The episode was about 30 minutes long and with this strategy it was done in around a year (i think, it might be longer, I can't remember right now).

I think same can be applied here. I would love to help out anyway i can. And i think I'm not the only one.

So basically I'm trying to help by giving ideas. Well I'd like to hear what Ross thinks about this and how many of you would dedicate your time and effort for his movie.

Fans: "Sounds fair. Here's 11,000 dollars."

Kinda reminds me of the SSD

Ross: "Hey guys if you want videos in 720p I'm gonna need about $500"

Fans: "well fuck you Ross here's $18,000"

Hahahaha oh man that's funny!

I like Tyrian...and stuff.

Hey Ross,

first of all congratulations on a successful fundraiser ! Since I'm not in a great financial situation myself ( university student, part time job, just enough to keep the wolfs at bay ) I decided to maybe try and help in a different way. So hold on to your seats cuz this is a doozie.

I'd like you to do a full financial report on your monthly expenses. That includes food, rent and utilities costs, transportation (if any), internet and any related services (examples are phone or TV) costs. No need to be specific, take averages. Next what is your legal status in Poland ? What taxes do you pay and what social security or health coverage you have ?

I ask this for two reasons :

1) I'm interested how expensive is to live in Poland ?

2) To determine how many people need to donate monthly (1 person / 1 $ )for you to have a sustainable living.

I think it is always better to have a clear view of one's financial situation.

Now onto the second part.

-----------------------THE MOVIE !--------------------------

Here I'm going to ask you for a plan.

I can assume that currently you are making your movie as a one man super machine. You are the writer, the director, the voice actor, the animator, the modeler, the research department, the secretary, the cab drive-- oh wait, you don't have a car. So again I assume that your project is in all stages and in none. That is where the plan comes in.

So please provide a report of how much work has been completed and a plan for what do you still need.

Report can be short, for example "Animation - 2%"(that just imagining them in your mind) or "Writing - 80 %" (most of a script is complete it's not just scribbles on the wall).

The PLAN should be detailed. Again example: " I need 3d models for a medieval setting specifically castle room decorations. The models must be in a format that unreal engine can read or in a format that can be easily converted to a readable one."

I ask for the plan again for two reasons:

1) I would like to see a clear timetable (The movie in 2017 for example) and Ross's organizational skills.

2) The plan gives people the opportunity to help even if they can't donate (people like me!)

Well that is it. It's late, I'm tired and I'm hitting the sack. Goodnight.

1) You know that asking for such a personal information may be considered rude? You can research this stuff on-line yourself if you're so interested in Poland.

2) You're not a part of the movie development team. Would you ask Steven Spielberg to give you his detailed filming schedule? MARVEL is eager to reveal some, but that's not the same...

3) WTF?

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Well good morning to you too. Ok let me clear this up. "All i need is your credit card number, your social security number and a copy of your passport or drivers license, then make a down payment of 250 $ and you will be swimming in cash in no time".

THAT is not what i want. I'm just interested in how expensive is to live in Poland and I'm not asking for specifics.

I don't need or ask for proof.

Here is mine for example :

Electronics engineering student from Lithuania (that is a country next to Poland, google map it)

Living expenses:

Rent : 150 Euros (but since I'm sharing it's 75 )

Food: 30 Eur a week so lets say 30*4= 120 Euros

Utilities: 12 (internet) + 68 (water + heat) + 22 (electricity) = 102 Euros (again I'm sharing so its cut in half 51)

Total: around 246 Euros

Now how much personal information was that ?

An awesome guy like Ross should get all the help he can get. And maybe one of us know something that can help.

About The PLAN for THE MOVIE.

That is a great way to present your project and to get people to help you.

A great example for all of you bronies (mlp fans) is Double Rainboom (damm the site is down).

Basically it was a single director using volunteers as his development team. The episode was about 30 minutes long and with this strategy it was done in around a year (i think, it might be longer, I can't remember right now).

I think same can be applied here. I would love to help out anyway i can. And i think I'm not the only one.

So basically I'm trying to help by giving ideas. Well I'd like to hear what Ross thinks about this and how many of you would dedicate your time and effort for his movie.

I think you're missing on some basics on how humans interact with each other and what is considered within social norms ans what's not. I don't think Lithuania is so much different than Poland or USA when it comes to everyday social norms. :roll: Besides, don't reveal your helpful plans if you're not asked first or ask first if you can present them. You're just being intrusive and rude, aware of that or not.

Although I think it's very wise to refuse Father's offer, I kind of dislike this jumping down his throat. Ross asked for ideas in the blog post. To most of us it's obvious he didn't mean out of the blue financial planning offers, but still. The kind thing to do with weird offers is start with a polite "Thanks, but no thanks."

Maybe Ross has had a problem with windfall vultures in the past that make people feel angry about strange offers, I dunno.

Just registered to show a little vocal support for the fund raising, I'll probably end up hanging around for a while.

Ross: your content is awesome and I'm really happy to see so many people are willing to agree with their wallets. I hope the donations are removing some of the burden from your shoulders! I know I work better when I've got less stress. Any time I find myself with a few £££ spare I'll be throwing them in. I've watched your stuff for years, almost all of it with an ad-blocker enabled, so I figure I owe you anyway.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

Although I think it's very wise to refuse Father's offer, I kind of dislike this jumping down his throat. Ross asked for ideas in the blog post. To most of us it's obvious he didn't mean out of the blue financial planning offers, but still. The kind thing to do with weird offers is start with a polite "Thanks, but no thanks."

Maybe Ross has had a problem with windfall vultures in the past that make people feel angry about strange offers, I dunno.

The way Father presented his idea was as well as jumping down a throat too. You greet someone than you just go straightforward to: "Show me all your bills I want to know your detailed expenses."

That's not Ross responding, only SBritton and me.

Anyone with a common sense would not ask for public display of Ross's personal finances. It was like a credit card salesman approaching you randomly in the street. Not cool. I would write more on this but I may come out rude, since it pisses me off.