ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: THE SECRET WORLD

1: With regards to ARG games, I'm surprised you haven't heard of some of the more notable ones. I mean, yeah, I could conceive that you wouldn't have followed the Portal 2 ARG, but there were a couple of interesting ones like Year Zero. I recommend looking up the archives on that one or sinking some time into the Nine Inch Nails wiki's articles on it.

2: In addition, EA actually put out a conspiracy-themed ARG-MMO called Majestic back around 2000, and from what I read, that game was ahead of its time-almost like a proto-Secret World. In fact, Majestic was probably more X-Files than Secret World is (loved the Lone Gunmen reference, by the way). Not very successful, though.

3: I kinda figured you'd reveal that Secret World was going under too. I actually kinda thought "I'm amazed that game's still running, but probably not for much longer." EA is not known for holding onto a good thing or even maintaining an MMO. Need For Speed actually had an MMO before World, called Motor City Online, and that game's also long since shut down.

4: I'd say the closest thing to a typical MMO I've played is probably Spiral Knights, and that game is pretty atypical. The combat isn't really cooldown-based in that game, it's more "Zelda-style," I'd guess.

My brother is an MMORPG fan and he's played "The Secret World". He watched this video and thought you were very fair and accurate with your review of this game. He understands that the combat isn't for everyone and is grateful that you acknowledged this in the video.

Kudos, Ross! :)

(Though, he disagreed with your choice of going with the Templars; he went with the Illuminati.)

Thanks for reviewing another Halloween game. Fortune teller must've chewed a lot to free herself.

Also, recently I found out in a comment in YouTube, someone is remaking Battleforge. It'll be now named as a Battleforge Reborn. here is a link: http://bfreborn.com/

If someone already spread that information here, sorry for reposting it. I don't necessarily have time to check all thread.

1: With regards to ARG games, I'm surprised you haven't heard of some of the more notable ones. I mean, yeah, I could conceive that you wouldn't have followed the Portal 2 ARG, but there were a couple of interesting ones like Year Zero. I recommend looking up the archives on that one or sinking some time into the Nine Inch Nails wiki's articles on it.

2: In addition, EA actually put out a conspiracy-themed ARG-MMO called Majestic back around 2000, and from what I read, that game was ahead of its time-almost like a proto-Secret World. In fact, Majestic was probably more X-Files than Secret World is (loved the Lone Gunmen reference, by the way). Not very successful, though.

3: I kinda figured you'd reveal that Secret World was going under too. I actually kinda thought "I'm amazed that game's still running, but probably not for much longer." EA is not known for holding onto a good thing or even maintaining an MMO. Need For Speed actually had an MMO before World, called Motor City Online, and that game's also long since shut down.

4: I'd say the closest thing to a typical MMO I've played is probably Spiral Knights, and that game is pretty atypical. The combat isn't really cooldown-based in that game, it's more "Zelda-style," I'd guess.

Yeah I had heard of Majestic and Motor City online. A friend of mine followed the Year Zero stuff and showed me some of it, I came up with the theory that the camera distorted looking at the giant hands because maybe it was a paradox from us seeing them, thus causing it in the future.

Good news about EA though, from what I was told they only handled the physical distribution of the game, so buying the game digitally, no money went to them.

Also, recently I found out in a comment in YouTube, someone is remaking Battleforge. It'll be now named as a Battleforge Reborn.
Yeah, a lot of people mentioned that. That's great if they do it, though for now it's only proof of concept videos.

thats good they didnt get a cent from the secret world, they only helped publish and handle the physical distribution but the digital distrubution gave them nothing, I am sort of glad you played the game for the game dungeon Ross, it was awesome looking

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Good news about EA though, from what I was told they only handled the physical distribution of the game, so buying the game digitally, no money went to them.

So basically like their involvement with the Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2?

I kind of ruined extremely powerful "good" secret societies in fiction for me. Because every time I imagine them giving me their schpiel, I only got one question that none can answer satisfactorily: If you're the good guys, why didn't you stop the holocaust?

That goes for more than just secret societies tho. There's a transformers movie where they show them fighting in ww2 which also begs that question. No human weapon can stop them, so why didn't they just put an end to industrialized mass death? It's a straightforward question that sadly will remain unanswered forever it seems.

I mean, other than good guys being the underdogs being a pretty good rule for storytelling, the usual answer is "because this is a dumb action story and we don't want to be too tied down to real events". Or you just make them not be around for those parts.

Because otherwise, you end up with the much worse problem: writers trying to answer the question of "why didn't they stop the holocaust", and that's how you get Fantastic Beasts, a living joke of an intellectual property.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, b14ckm4g1c said:

I kind of ruined extremely powerful "good" secret societies in fiction for me. Because every time I imagine them giving me their schpiel, I only got one question that none can answer satisfactorily: If you're the good guys, why didn't you stop the holocaust?

That goes for more than just secret societies tho. There's a transformers movie where they show them fighting in ww2 which also begs that question. No human weapon can stop them, so why didn't they just put an end to industrialized mass death? It's a straightforward question that sadly will remain unanswered forever it seems.

Because the secret society was split across the ideological lines of the time period, meaning that the Nazis had their own super power parallel and the fighting was more or less symmetrical. There was probably a Decepticon that turned into the Fuhrer mobile.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"