General American Politics Thread

On 1/17/2021 at 7:02 AM, kerdios said:

no they don't

yes they do. it's a symptom of being a mega corp with special interests.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

at this point the republican party should be put out of its misery

i don't want to hear about how the LGBT community, and especially the trans community, are a danger to society from anyone who actually votes these fuckers in

the name's riley

I just caught bill mahr's show by mistake, and he had a segment called "hello douchebags" about the up and coming republicans who are most likely to cause offense to... idk what to call it, democrats?

Burn the World!

24 minutes ago, Maroko said:

It's just odd that you chose this issue out of all to go all out on one of the useless parties.

It's because he is one.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

10 minutes ago, Maroko said:

Isn't the trans community ripe with suicides and all other kinds of physical harm, and even remorse after transitioning?

I usually can't take people who propagate these kinds of myths seriously because they're almost never acting in good faith, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here.

A while ago there was a survey conducted for trans people in which 41% of respondents said that they had attempted suicide at some point in the past. The point of the survey was to demonstrate the damage that harassment and discrimination towards trans people does. Somehow a bunch of transphobes caught wind of this survey and after years of it spreading by word of mouth it seems to have devolved in to this notion of "41% of trans people commit suicide", when in actuality suicide rates for trans people are honestly quite normal for a marginalized and often mistreated group.

And no, transition regret is actually extremely uncommon. Only a fraction of a percent of people who transition end up detransitioning and they don't always detransition due to regret or realization that they're not actually trans. This seems to be the main point used by people who want to block access to puberty blockers for trans youth, but the risk is minimal compared to how many trans kids this kind of policy would negatively impact.

42 minutes ago, Maroko said:

While at the same time disturbing social cohesion like their participation in bio-women sports which, according to that article, is the reason for the bill? Many people from the right AND left disagree with the trans’ plight; many even invalidate their existence employing either science or religion as counterargument. I've even seen this meme being shared all over the political spectrum:

transbelike.png.414949143f21eea04abde1d7266cb97f.png

It's just odd that you chose this issue out of all to go all out on one of the useless parties.

Correct, I am singling out the republican party on this one. I hate republicans and I think I have good reason to. That doesn't mean I'm not also extremely critical of other political entities and ideologies, it just means I think the republican party is irredeemable. I mean surely you can imagine how a trans person must feel when they see republicans go from "we don't want you using your bathroom of choice, you could sexually assault the people using them" to "we don't want you to compete in girls' sports and we'll start inspecting the genitals of children competing in said sports to make sure it doesn't happen". It's insulting.

And speaking of insulting, if trans people competing in sports "disturbs social cohesion" then why isn't anything being done to fix it? A trans man from Texas won a girls' wrestling title despite repeatedly requesting to compete with men. It's not his fault that he won a wrestling title with an unfair advantage, it's poor planning on whoever came up with the damn rules to begin with.

the name's riley

Man, you went from "black people are violent criminals" to "trans people are mentally ill and somehow also privileged" to "look at all these fucking jews" in the span of like four posts. It's no wonder you need to repeat your mantra of "the left is losing people" considering everyone you clearly don't want on your side. Who are you going for next? Mexicans? Gay people? Anime fans? Perhaps we'll hear some 13/50, or see some "based groypers" or whatever other anti-intellectual fashtrash you can spit out.

Edited by Shaddy (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Maroko said:

Don't tell me this is one of those Discussion Forums where every opposing viewpoint get strawman'd and lumped together with the "groypers," etc. so as to maintain an echo chamber?

Yes on the first part, No on the second,

It's less of an echo chamber and more of a mud slinging competition (with pundits from both the far right and the far left and a few centrists) that eventually dies out on itself or gets shut down by the mods.

Burn the World!

3 hours ago, Maroko said:

But, if you want to see something ACTUALLY funny, watch Bill Mahr's reaction when one mentions Biden's nondiverse cabinet.

290144162_oyvey.jpg.e1b42f80989289615878647b7bf5c9aa.jpg

It's not so much that they are Jewish, it's just that they are deflecting criticism and scorn aimed at them, the elites at the top, by spreading it over their lowest common denominators (white, CIS). It's not JP Morgan that's oppressing you, it's white CIS males.

Edited by Im_CIA (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Mira said:

What is it about this website that attracts so many not-so-subtle nazis

I was wondering the same thing, from what I heard from Ross's video, it's not his politics.
Maybe it's Civil Protection?

Burn the World!

14 minutes ago, Mira said:

What is it about this website that attracts so many not-so-subtle nazis

The Deus Ex GD speaks to everyone in different ways

a. this is the general american politics (though it's lacking a bit in the canada/latin america politics domain)  thread, not the general israeli/middle eastern politics thread.

b. I doubt there's anything i can say that will have any effect on your opinions, though I'm willing to ask, what will it take for you to change your mind?

c. you're creating false equivalencies.

d. you are treating all jewish people as a monolith, which they are not - not by a long shot.

e. last few years have brought into light emiratian and saudi influencers that have voiced support in israel , in addition to ex fundamentalists like majd nawaz who voice their support of israel even if not the israel current regime.

f. I don't like capitalization - sorry btg.

Burn the World!

31 minutes ago, Maroko said:

Are displaced Palestinians who hate Israel because they’ve lost family at their military's bloody hands natzee too?

If the crimes committed by the government of a Jewish nation motivate them to label anyone as suspicious solely for being of Jewish descent and proclaiming them to be part of an international conspiracy that pulls the strings of world affairs then yes. At the very least they're misdirecting their anger and causing inexcusable harm.

31 minutes ago, Maroko said:

Also, keep labeling everyone as such instead of bleep bloop bleep bloop

I've been on the internet long enough to recognize patterns. Don't insult everyone's intelligence by pretending to be anything other than what you really are.

vte4xeY.png

No matter how hard you try, you are not entitled to honest discussion when you so clearly are not engaging in it yourself. Bogus statistics, cherrypicked screencaps or many literal lies are not smarter than the rest of the people on this forum.

There is no rule on this forum that says people have to have a "logical debate" with you or respect your trash opinions. Nor should there be! Do you think anyone wants to get roped into weeks of argument with a flat-earther or someone who thinks the world is secretly controlled by bees? There's no reason for anyone to treat obvious racist conspiracy theories as somehow above either of those things, no matter how victimized you pretend to be. You're not smart or subtle enough even to deceive insecure white boys into thinking they're under attack.

Also, didn't Morocco (or Maroko ?) just establish diplomatic relations with Israel and recognized its statehood?

Burn the World!

2 minutes ago, Maroko said:

Not really, I’m Syrian and am living in a majority white country (hence my many typos...) and even a lot of minorities' individuals share some of my views.

Plenty of minority anti-vaxxers, it's not going to make that more true either. Do you think everyone operates the way you do? Truth is not a democracy, pointing to "a lot" of people and saying they agree with you doesn't make shitty behavior acceptable.

4 minutes ago, Maroko said:

If what I'm saying bothers you so much to the point of baseless accusations why even reply? 

If you spared even a modicum of thought to how others perceived your bullshit, I think it'd be obvious. Can you think of a reason without constructing your own hideous strawman?

11 minutes ago, Maroko said:

It was you who made that fallacy first by bringing up how many "insecure white boys" (of course) would agree with me.

I didn't say how many at all, actually. Make no mistake, I never meant to imply your bad takes were popular.

Nah, I'm not really in the mood for that since you're constantly throwing ad homs, unlike me, and won't take the time like @kerdios to act civilized. 

I think you are in the mood for it. Claiming my position is an ad hominem is itself a strawman of my actual take.

And you dare to bring up strawmanning when in every reply you've lumped my arguments with flat-earthers and the such? How old are you, honestly?

That's not a strawman, it's a sincere comparison. I am asking you to come up with a justification as to why you deserve to be listened to any more than every other dime-a-dozen racist conspiracy theorist on the internet, and you are patently refusing to do so, just because you don't happen to personally like the fact that "racist conspiracy theorist" is what you've been identified as, rather than any proper critical analysis as to why the things you're saying are actually worth saying. The idea that they could hold up to scrutiny (which, to be clear, they wouldn't) first requires the idea that you are engaging in this conversation with any sort of honesty, and with each post that is going to become harder and harder to prove. You will no-doubt critique people who disagree with you for being "uncivil", but there's never going to be civility among takes like yours. Even if people agree, that's just a decrease in civility with all of the groups you're targeting. I have no qualms with saying I'd rather side with the races and genders you hate than with you. Not only are they less-likely to be like you, there are a lot more of them.

Hey just tossing this in, please keep it civil. I can sense things starting to go off the rail here a bit.

Again, please do not strawman the things I'm saying by calling it ad-hominem. I am critiquing your behavior. You are only upset with me because I'm not treating it like the behavior of a logical, good-natured adult. If you want to convince me that it is that behavior, that is your own challenge to overcome, not the responsibility of others over some unearned sense of courtesy. It's certainly not a courtesy you've offered any of the classes you saw fit to characterize as criminal or mentally ill.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.