General American Politics Thread

On 7/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, Emby said:

Wait are they saying that it's okay to be racist, just not racist in public?

Yes. Lol

But he have a history of saying really dumb stuff and saying you're taking it out of context when you lay it out in plain terms, so he'll probably deny it.

the name's riley

I disagree, actually. It seems more like they were saying racism more benevolent than ethnic cleansing was harmless, public or otherwise.

Which is probably worse, but we should stay on the same page here.

Edited by Shaddy (see edit history)

Nothing wrong with cracking the occasional racist joke in private

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

I mean, there definitely is, but I'm sure if you keep saying that enough, it will magically become true. Keep at it, it won't look mantric at all.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:43 PM, Shaddy said:

I mean, there definitely is

Like what?

Am I supposed to believe you're going to listen better this time than last time?

On 7/30/2021 at 4:43 PM, Shaddy said:

I mean, there definitely is, but I'm sure if you keep saying that enough, it will magically become true. Keep at it, it won't look mantric at all.

So, you really hate all of the Mel Brooks films, right? They all had at least a few "anti-semitic" jokes in there, nevermind that he is Jewish. I shouldn't even mention Blazing Saddles, that would break you if you ever watched it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:21 AM, BTGBullseye said:

So, you really hate all of the Mel Brooks films, right? They all had at least a few "anti-semitic" jokes in there, nevermind that he is Jewish. I shouldn't even mention Blazing Saddles, that would break you if you ever watched it.

You know it's different when someone who doesn't have a history of killing your people makes a joke about your people, right?

On 7/31/2021 at 1:21 AM, BTGBullseye said:

You guys really just walk around absolutely fuming at the idea that anyone reacts to racism in a less-extreme way than you react to anti-racism, huh?

On 7/31/2021 at 4:57 PM, Shaddy said:

You guys really just walk around absolutely fuming at the idea that anyone reacts to racism in a less-extreme way than you react to anti-racism, huh?

Depends, do you walk around fuming whenever someone cracks an ethnic joke in a non professional setting? 

At some threshold being PC decouples from its original intent and becomes a form or self gratification.

Edited by Im_Unemployed (see edit history)

On 7/31/2021 at 2:15 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

Depends, do you walk around fuming whenever someone cracks an ethnic joke in a non professional setting?

I don't have enough racist friends to know the answer to that question. I'm sure you think that's not an option or something.

At some threshold being PC decouples from its original intent and becomes a form or self gratification.

As opposed to what? Attacking anything and everything you arbitrarily label as "PC" for not being racist enough? Oh, yeah, there's no way for that to be self-serving.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:33 PM, Shaddy said:

As opposed to what? Attacking anything and everything you arbitrarily label as "PC" for not being racist enough? Oh, yeah, there's no way for that to be self-serving.

It's not arbitrary, but the line is a bit blurry. It's the same as distinguishing passive interest and zealotry.  

On 7/31/2021 at 5:33 PM, Shaddy said:

I don't have enough racist friends to know the answer to that question. I'm sure you think that's not an option or something.

I doubt that's true. Even you're a racist in some passive way or another

Edited by Im_Unemployed (see edit history)

On 7/31/2021 at 2:53 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

It's not arbitrary, but the line is a bit blurry. It's the same as distinguishing passive interest and zealotry. 

Seems awfully convenient for you to be the arbiter of that distinction. Again, why should the rest of the world be held back because people saying racism is bad hurt your feelings? You never answered me before, it's like you hit the reset button on your brain to avoid absorbing anything that's been said here. Why are you even in this thread if you're gonna do that?

On 7/31/2021 at 2:53 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

I doubt that's true. Even you're a racist in some passive way or another

Again, easy to project that when you can't conceive of a world outside yours. Any definition of race outside the same innate response behind someone's hair color or the length of their toes or how their earlobes are attached is a human construct as a means to justify violence. You either are unable to recognize this or very much want to ignore it, which is why you falsely equate a 'white people' joke with centuries of genocide and oppression.

"You can't be racist at work because that's the only place it's illegal"

On 7/31/2021 at 6:09 PM, Shaddy said:

Seems awfully convenient for you to be the arbiter of that distinction. Again, why should the rest of the world be held back because people saying racism is bad hurt your feelings? You never answered me before, it's like you hit the reset button on your brain to avoid absorbing anything that's been said here. Why are you even in this thread if you're gonna do that?

You only answered my question by raising the stakes and eventually alluding to some concept of an Original Sin. Maybe a fat person will get offended by a riff on fat people, but we still make quips don't we? That doesn't mean that the person making the joke believes fats should held back by society and be discriminated against. That's where the distinction lies.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:26 PM, Emby said:

"You can't be racist at work because that's the only place it's illegal"

It's not illegal at work, but it's not the time or the place. We don't talk about sex or religion either.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:19 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

You only answered my question by raising the stakes and eventually alluding to some concept of an Original Sin.

Well no, that's what you're doing by defending racist comments with "well everyone is internally prejudiced". I'm literally saying the exact opposite.

Maybe a fat person will get offended by a riff on fat people, but we still make quips don't we?

Uh, no? Why would I do that?

That doesn't mean that the person making the joke believes fats should held back by society and be discriminated against. That's where the distinction lies.

But it's not about whether you mean it or not. Normalizing racist comments creates more racism. Whether a person is discriminatory "in their hearts" or whatever is immaterial.

Let's look at an example. Racist "humor" blaming Chinese people for COVID, and the rise in anti-asian hate crimes in the US, have some commonalities. There's undeniably some overlap there. Exactly what is made better in this situation when the people making jokes say "we didn't mean it"? Fucking nothing, as far as I can see. I guess if you make up a strawman gestapo that goes around arresting people for being unfunny you have a problem, but someone else telling you you're a piece of shit for normalizing that racist culture is a problem you have to fix with yourself, the world isn't gonna wait up for you.

Or hell, how about the absolutely enormous number of people that constantly use "it's a joke, you're just too offended" to justify any shitty thing they say? Exactly what distinguishes between which of them are acting in bad faith to push reactionary rhetoric, and which are genuinely just not aware how shitty a thing they're saying is?

On 7/31/2021 at 7:19 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

It's not illegal at work, but it's not the time or the place. We don't talk about sex or religion either.

Sorry, but if you don't talk about any of that, your workplace kinda sucks. Just sayin'.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, Shaddy said:

What?

On 8/2/2021 at 4:38 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Sorry, but if you don't talk about any of that, your workplace kinda sucks. Just sayin'.

y'hear that fellas

sexual harrassment in the workplace is a-OK

the name's riley

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.