Gauge interest for Freeman’s Mind 2

Would you donate to Freeman's Mind 2 or purchase Freeman's Mind on Steam?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you donate to Freeman's Mind 2 or purchase Freeman's Mind on Steam?

• Yes I would donate to Freeman's Mind 2 and purchase Freeman's Mind 1 on Steam.
    • I would donate to Freeman's Mind 2
    • I would purchase Freeman's Mind 1 on Steam
    • No

Sign in to follow this  

The interest for Freeman’s Mind 2 should be gauged, I know in a video it was said that it isn’t as popular as before, but that was when it was on the Machinima channel. In one of the latest video the creator, Ross Scott, stated that he got $18,000 for SSDs in order to produce Freeman’s Mind videos in HD. So I think that if there was a fundraising campaign for Freeman’s Mind 2 and if the goal was something really high like $500,000 it could make it easily. Why not just create a fund raising campaign for some stupid amount like $500,000 or even $2,000,000 and see what happens, that could fund the project and the movie with profit perhaps.

One way that could be done is through Kickstarter or maybe just a simple donation page, where it is stated that if $x is reached then x hours will be produced and if that amount is less than the cost to make, then the rest could fund the movie. Something like $10,000 for 1 hour, $25,000 for 2 hours, $60,000 for 3 hours, $100,000 for 4 hours. Something like that and if it is just donations people could donate for the amount that has already been funded. Or a normal Kickstarter, although I’m not sure how well that will work because it might work better if it ran consistently and I presume Kickstarter takes some of the money. I am sure that a lot of people would be happy to donate for Freeman’s Mind 2, even if it is stated that work would only start in 2017 or take 7 years to complete or something.

Another thing that could gauge interested is in Steam Greenlight there is a section for concepts, it’s free and doesn’t count towards anything being greenlit, but has the same features, most importantly voting. Alternatively, Freeman’s Mind 1 could be put onto Greenlight, this is not only a good way to gauge interest on the voting and possible purchases, it could also raise money. If it was greenlit it could be made clear that all the videos are free and can be watched on YouTube where a link is provided, and that any purchase would just be to support the creator and possible future projects (so Freeman’s mind 2 and the movie) also that the purchase is purely for appreciation of the original.

I and I am sure a lot of people want Freeman’s Mind 2 and would be happy to donate money for it and\or to donate money for the already created Freeman’s Mind 1. And if this could be done through Steam a lot of people would participate in it, I would and even more so if there were say 10 different versions that were and stated to be meaningless, but with just different costs. Like “The Pirate Edition” for $4 or the “Super Epic Awesome Edition” for $20 so people can choose how much they want to donate. A lot of people would purchase it because it is on Steam since they maybe didn’t know\didn’t read the description saying that it is on YouTube and a lot people value things more purely because it is on Steam. Also with the Steam Machines it would make it easy to view it on a TV or in Big Picture mode. But also it would help spread Freeman’s Mind quite a bit, since a lot of people would recommend it and I’m sure it would be on the most popular section on the homepage on release, but it would also bring in money for those that did not what to pay for it, as a link to the YouTube page could be provided. But there is the 20% Steam fee, but since this would be supporting the sale of Half-Life games, maybe a link could be provided in the Freeman’s Mind Steam page, Valve might waiver that fee because A) it is supporting the sale of their games and B) it is a donation and a Freeman’s Mind has benefited Valve quite a bit.

Basically I am sure a lot of people would support Freeman’s mind 2 and a lot of people would purchase Freeman’s Mind 1 on Steam just as a show of appreciation for being created, and not to mention how it would widen the audience.

Is this a scam?

How is this a scam?

You want people to purchase Freman's Mind on Steam? Are you joking? And why would Ross need tons to money to make Freeman's Mind 2? He's already did a beg-a-thon video, he's not hurting for money now, he's just not interested in continuing Freeman's Mind yet.

I don't see how Ross Scott would need any money for Freeman's Mind 2. He needs time is all. And right now, he's focusing on his movie.

Also, I think Valve bad a problem with Ross wanting to "sell" Freeman's Mind. I'm not sure if this would count, but it's better not to mess with them.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Hmmm... this poll seems to be wrongly timed a bit. Ross just managed to catch some breath after last month's crunch :P

Oh and I don't see FM 2 being "sold" on Steam. Ross cannot sell DVDs with FM since VALVe does not allow this.

Besides, what the hell are you doing, man? Ross released a donation video not long ago and you kind of try to get into his role and get ideas about HIS plans. And there is only one Ross...

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I don't see what's so bad about the original being sold on Steam, other video content is on Steam.

Simple, as previously mentioned, Valve owns the copyrights, and do not allow monetization of their content. In other words, Ross can't sell FM in any way, shape, or form, much less on Valve's own distribution system.

Naturally, I voted no on the poll.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Sorry man. But Freeman's Mind 2 is not going to be made for a long, long time.

There is good interest in FM2. But Ross has other things in the works. Remember that HE HAS. TO MAKE. THE MOVIE.

It's not fun sounding mean, but you need to pay more attention to Ross's activities before suggesting something like this. And more importantly, Trust Ross. He knows what he's doing. FM2 will happen when he feels he make a good job of it. He's not interested in cranking out videos. I know I'd rather be in my 30s (I'm 23) and finally watch a fantastic FM2 than wake up tomorrow and find a tired, half-assed FM2.

Can Ross, or someone, PLEASE make a dedicated thread/video putting talk about FM2 to rest? He appreciates the interest and enthusiasm, but he's doing what he needs to do right now. Have faith, ok? Peace.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Sorry man. But Freeman's Mind 2 is not going to be made for a long, long time.

There is good interest in FM2. But Ross has other things in the works. Remember that HE HAS. TO MAKE. THE MOVIE.

It's not fun sounding mean, but you need to pay more attention to Ross's activities before suggesting something like this. And more importantly, Trust Ross. He knows what he's doing. FM2 will happen when he feels he make a good job of it. He's not interested in cranking out videos. I know I'd rather be in my 30s (I'm 23) and finally watch a fantastic FM2 than wake up tomorrow and find a tired, half-assed FM2.

Can Ross, or someone, PLEASE make a dedicated thread/video putting talk about FM2 to rest? He appreciates the interest and enthusiasm, but he's doing what he needs to do right now. Have faith, ok? Peace.

I know what he said, but are you telling me that is everyone collectively gave something like $1,000,000 for it that he would turn it down?

Pretty much. It's a combination of Ross not working like that, and Ross simply not wanting to do it now.

There are a lot more factors to this than just money, just like how there's a lot more to Ross than just Freeman's Mind. I can guarantee you that if he dropped everything and worked solely on FM2, the series would be a colossal failure, because his heart's simply not in it right now. No amount of money can change that.

I'm unsure if you realise quite how intense producing something of Ross's personal standard actually is. FM2, if/when it arrives, will be of the same quality regardless if he was a millionaire, or living on a shoestring. The real cost is Ross's sanity. A consistent, monthly series of 12-minute FM2 episodes would risk him suffering severe burnout due to the sheer strain and constant pressure to be punctual. The Game Dungeon series is a tough enough project, but comparatively it must feel like a vacation, or even rehab after nearly a decade of Freeman's Mind.

Ross knows what he's doing. FM2 will be done when he knows he is able to do it the way he wants it.

Pretty much. It's a combination of Ross not working like that, and Ross simply not wanting to do it now.

There are a lot more factors to this than just money, just like how there's a lot more to Ross than just Freeman's Mind. I can guarantee you that if he dropped everything and worked solely on FM2, the series would be a colossal failure, because his heart's simply not in it right now. No amount of money can change that.

I'm unsure if you realise quite how intense producing something of Ross's personal standard actually is. FM2, if/when it arrives, will be of the same quality regardless if he was a millionaire, or living on a shoestring. The real cost is Ross's sanity. A consistent, monthly series of 12-minute FM2 episodes would risk him suffering severe burnout due to the sheer strain and constant pressure to be punctual. The Game Dungeon series is a tough enough project, but comparatively it must feel like a vacation, or even rehab after nearly a decade of Freeman's Mind.

Ross knows what he's doing. FM2 will be done when he knows he is able to do it the way he wants it.

I am not saying that it should be done now, all I am saying that it would be nice if it was done at some point. If I remember correctly he said in a video that he did not plan on doing a Freeman's Mind 2 per say, but rather that he would do "something" for it. All I and I guess a lot of people would want is it at some point, and even if it could be like 10 or 20 minutes per year for now, that would more than suffice. And I am sure a lot of people would donate to make that happen with a side benefit of funding other projects.

There's also the notion - that a few have discussed previously - that Half-Life 2 may not actually work that well in the form of Freeman's Mind, because of how different the game plays to the original.

Let's summarise:

- It would be great to see FM2

- Ross is not motivated by money

- FM2 is not being made

- FM2 will be made if/when Ross feels sufficiently interested in it again

- FM2 will only be made after Ross makes The Movie

- FM2 will therefore be likely to be made some time in the 2020s

- Accursed Farms continues to produce high-quality content without Gordon Freeman's presence.

It would be nice if these points could be validated by Ross himself, but I'm fairly sure what I'm saying is accurate.

Is this a scam?

How is this a scam?

You want people to purchase Freman's Mind on Steam? Are you joking? And why would Ross need tons to money to make Freeman's Mind 2? He's already did a beg-a-thon video, he's not hurting for money now, he's just not interested in continuing Freeman's Mind yet.

He HAS to make the MOVIE.