Videochat January 2016 + Writer Auditions

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Here's the latest videochat with the audience. I was a little late getting this one out since there were sound sync problems in the recording that I wanted to fix before posting this on Youtube. This one was a little more structured than previously as I tried to answer a lot of submitted questions, though it reverted to the old chaos by the end. I cover a lot of topics, including Planetside 2, budgeting advice, more produdction aspects about the movie, Gamergate, the new Star Wars, and career and school advice amongst other things. I ramble a lot, but I think it was slightly more coordinated than the previous times.

The next videochat will be on Feb 7, 4pm EST again. I don't know yet if it will be on twitch or another chat service, I have to do more research first. I'll have an announcement on that ahead of time if I do change venues. Also if you have questions / topics you'd like discussed in the next videochat, either email [email protected], or else reply in this thread.

- - -

AUDITION FOR ASSISTANT WRITERS:

This is mentioned in the video also, but I'm cautiously considering any applications for being an assistant writer on the movie script. I have the main plot and many scenes established, but I'm interested in help with smaller scenes and subplots to help tie everything together. This is going to be for an adventure-comedy with a mystery element also. I more or less have the "adventure" part laid out and have lots of good comedy, but I really want to have this script be the best it can be and I think having additional writer could definitely benefit the movie as a whole.

If you have background in comedy writing (mysteries are also a bonus) and are interested in having a shot at writing part of the movie script, send me a sample of your comedic writing to my main email address ([email protected]). If I like your style, I can consider you for the movie itself. I do want to emphasize that this will be THE hardest position to get in the movie and I will be absolutely merciless in considering applicants. So odds are, you'll be rejected. Afterall, I'm looking for someone who can write some of the scenes BETTER than I can. I won't be mean to anyone, but I consider the script the single most important aspect of the movie, so it's not an area I'm willing to compromise on. That said, you don't have to worry about typos or minor mistakes, it's your content and style that I'll be most interested in.

Finally, something I forgot to mention in the videochat, a lot of the download links to Civil Protection and other videos were down, those have since been fixed, so they should be working again.

COMMENTS

Thanks for the video chat, was very interesting!

Just to follow up a bit on the question about making a game - the point why I asked about it is that I was looking at it like something very similar to a movie (tbh I'm one of those, who says that a lot of modern (shooters especially are guilty of this) games are just sort of interative films). You need a main theme, script, story etc. for it - just like for a movie.

You have also mentioned that you would use a game engine (Unreal) for the movie, therefore its even more similarities. And as far as I have seen - A LOT can be made inside UE4 with blueprints and without actual programming skills in its traditional sense. Just like the movie, ofc its a lot of work, but imho its not impossible! I bet you have all kinds of thoughts on what would make certain games better and at least in your mind create a fanstastic game that would be at the top of the list.

Just to follow up a bit on the question about making a game - the point why I asked about it is that I was looking at it like something very similar to a movie (tbh I'm one of those, who says that a lot of modern (shooters especially are guilty of this) games are just sort of interative films). You need a main theme, script, story etc. for it - just like for a movie.

You have also mentioned that you would use a game engine (Unreal) for the movie, therefore its even more similarities. And as far as I have seen - A LOT can be made inside UE4 with blueprints and without actual programming skills in its traditional sense. Just like the movie, ofc its a lot of work, but imho its not impossible! I bet you have all kinds of thoughts on what would make certain games better and at least in your mind create a fanstastic game that would be at the top of the list.

Do you realize that making a GOOD game is still a lots of additional work? Ross has plans already. Why you keep on pushing that topic?

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Do you realize that making a GOOD game is still a lots of additional work? Ross has plans already. Why you keep on pushing that topic?

I was just asking if he has thought about it (and not suggesting that he should do it) and elaborated a bit more why I asked my question here. I do understand if he had thought about it at some point it would have meant one or another (movie or a game) and not both.

Jeez, take it easy.

I was just asking if he has thought about it (and not suggesting that he should do it) and elaborated a bit more why I asked my question here. I do understand if he had thought about it at some point it would have meant one or another (movie or a game) and not both.

Jeez, take it easy.

It was hard to see what do you mean by elaborating this topic again in the comments. It sounds a bit like asking the same question. I admit, I can be oversensitive when people seem to be pushing too much of some topics on Ross. Ah well :roll:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Having multiple writers will almost guarantee "cohesion" problems with the story. How come you don't want to sculpt everything yourself in order to keep in perfect line with the vision and direction? It's not like you're George Lucas.

“ ' The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a Darth title,' a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. 'He threw out "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius." There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say "just kidding," but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.' "

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

Well this was interesting. This kinda made me finally open an account here. Planetside 2 vet and long time watcher, so emailed to Ross about the relevant point.

You who distill within you the whole world,

attend to this voice from the realm beyond:

You’re beast, and demon, angel, human being;

whatever you show forth, you are that thing.

Having multiple writers will almost guarantee "cohesion" problems with the story. How come you don't want to sculpt everything yourself in order to keep in perfect line with the vision and direction? It's not like you're George Lucas.

“ ' The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a Darth title,' a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. 'He threw out "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius." There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say "just kidding," but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.' "

I see weaknesses in almost every video I've made. I think I can get a lot of things right, but sometimes aspects can come across a little flat or awkward (not in a good way) than what I was aiming for. For the parts I want filled in, I'm not having obvious insight about what should be written in there, and I'd appreciate having some fresh ideas. Put it like this: if I'm not satisfied with applicants or suggestions I get, I won't use them and I will write everything myself. But I feel like additional help is at least worth exploring. My ego for this is a non-issue. I'd much rather have a better script than to be able to say "I wrote all this myself." Don't worry about cohesion. I'm still directing this, I'll make sure whatever is added fits the movie well and I'm satisfied with it. Afterall, if the cohesion was poor, I wouldn't be satisfied with it.

Besides, a Hollywood production is an entirely different animal than an independent one. I won't have producers insisting on dumb changes or heavy politics related to who is writing what. The bottom line is just to make it the best movie I can.

Well this was interesting. This kinda made me finally open an account here. Planetside 2 vet and long time watcher, so emailed to Ross about the relevant point.
I've gotten a few emails so far, I'll try to respond to people before too long.

What kind of communication will you use for the PlanetSide 2 meetup? Will it be text chat or mic chat? I don't have a mic.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Can't say I agree with you on the bionic augmentation front; I want to be as much robot as possible. Related question: which Unreal Tournament 2004 character did you use?

Well no one force Ross to make game, but its just good topic for new ideas and discussion.

To be honest making GOOD game is not about additional work, but having good plan for it. Almost whole my life Im helping people with small graphic and sound work for games, from simple texturing to making concept art and basic graphic(GUI, logos) and for most of time its work for free and its work not for some big companies(I wish) but for normal people, most of it are 1 person projects or max 10 friends who want make something cool.

And guess why for most of time project end at alpha stage or not even get first release?

Its not about lack of recourses or knowledge(most of stuff you can get or buy and then just modify).

Its lack of planing time schedule, and having overall idea of game. When you work alone or with few people you modify and fix something over and over again and you just stuck at the same point and because of that you just give up. Most of people always focus on polishing one part of game all the time and forget about rest and when they finish it it turn out that they need to modify it again to fit it to other part of game.

And to be honest its gonna be the same with the movie. I hope Ross have overall plan and idea of this movie, and not gonna stuck at one point just because he would want to modify it over and over, forgetting about other parts.

But Ross have experience with making movies so after all we should not be worried :]

Also about ther topic of video: Car.

I seriously cant agree with Ross about not having a car, especially in Poland. It not cost that much as most of people think, mostly because they look at car in wrong way.

I work in car workshop, most of m family had something to do with cars all the time, and its not like Ross said, lack of having a car make you thing what where you go... its like saying that having phone force you to call all the time.

Having car today is must have, not having your own car/motorcycle is seriously disadvantage in life, and instead of thinking how much it cost think HOW MUCH IT CAN HELP YOU in your life.

Starting from helping getting a job, ending being your job as a driver. Especially in Poland you can go to any local fastfood/pizza restaurant or even grocery shop that deliver shopping to homes. Its best way to get first job.

And having a car is not that expensive. You can buy cheap car for 600zł and drive it for few months... and then get another.

Last year we bought two Opel's Corsa B for 700zł each(paid and working), for our workshop as a replacements when we fix client car and when in one gearbox died(lame client driver) we scrap it and get 300zł from it... So no its not THAT expensive. Just get any cheap car and when its die, just scrap it and buy another one, there are plenty of old cars that still are paid(insurance etc) and just wait for their final ride before insurance/inspection end :]

What kind of communication will you use for the PlanetSide 2 meetup? Will it be text chat or mic chat? I don't have a mic.

Well, only command needs to be full voiced honestly

I've gotten a few emails so far, I'll try to respond to people before too long.

Well, even if you only get 47 players to play with you, you'd need some more experienced players that can lead. Experience alone won't help, but people who have SL'ed will be great help. Next thing is not to announce this too much. too openly at the start. I'd suggest a meeting with people helping out before to plan shit.

You who distill within you the whole world,

attend to this voice from the realm beyond:

You’re beast, and demon, angel, human being;

whatever you show forth, you are that thing.

Which empire will I need to be in to join the meetup? I'm guessing it's the Vanu Sovereignty maybe? Also should I start playing PlanetSide 2 before the meetup so I can get some experience with how the game works?

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Ross, I strongly advise you to do more research on GamerGate, as evidence has been pretty clear that GamerGate is little more than a misogynistic reactionary subculture in both gaming and the internet. Make no mistake, I'm all for combating corruption in the video game industry, but at the same time I cannot in good faith support GamerGate due to their frankly terrible track record. Here's a helpful timeline of events kept by RationalWiki and here's a really good and really detailed rebuttal against many of GamerGate's claims (it is incredibly long though, so heads up). I hope you take some time to look through these and see for yourself what GamerGate actually is. Thank you for your time.

Will age be a deciding factor? Like if some of us happen to be around 17-18.
No.

Don't know yet, you probably won't need a mic.

Which empire will I need to be in to join the meetup? I'm guessing it's the Vanu Sovereignty maybe? Also should I start playing PlanetSide 2 before the meetup so I can get some experience with how the game works?
I don't know yet and you won't need any experience, though it won't hurt you any.

Also about ther topic of video: Car.

I seriously cant agree with Ross about not having a car, especially in Poland. It not cost that much as most of people think, mostly because they look at car in wrong way.

The guy asking me was already struggling with money. In USA, between insurance, repair budgeting, and gas, a car can add a couple hundred to your expenses each month. That's just not feasible for a lot of people who have financial difficulty.

Ross, I strongly advise you to do more research on GamerGate, as evidence has been pretty clear that GamerGate is little more than a misogynistic reactionary subculture in both gaming and the internet. Make no mistake, I'm all for combating corruption in the video game industry, but at the same time I cannot in good faith support GamerGate due to their frankly terrible track record. Here's a helpful timeline of events kept by RationalWiki and here's a really good and really detailed rebuttal against many of GamerGate's claims (it is incredibly long though, so heads up). I hope you take some time to look through these and see for yourself what GamerGate actually is. Thank you for your time.
Well like I said in the video, the side of Gamergate focused on countering feminist claims isn't the part that I'm particularly interested in. I don't have a strong opinion on that either way, I figure both sides probably have some points, but might be wrong about others. I didn't even pay any attention to any of this controversy until the GameJournoPros leak. From the article you linked me:

"GameJournoPros was a mailing list set up by Kyle Orland of Ars Technica just to be able to let people at other websites keep in touch, possibly to even bounce ideas off each other and suggest new freelance writers to hire"

"Everyone else from the outside looking in saw the list as completely benign in nature."

"The only people seeing any issue with GameJournoPros are Gamergaters who were already prejudiced to think there was something resembling collusion and corruption going on"

Those last two statements are hyperbolic. What's more is, they use an article written by Kyle Orland as the citation for making them.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/addressing-allegations-of-collusion-among-gaming-journalists/

This already doesn't work well for me as good journalism. First off, I DO think it's kind of alarming that there was a secret mailing list among game journalists, which they admit is used to help select which writers to hire. In my eyes, that already makes it an "in" club as to who stands a chance at becoming a more mainstream journalist. Then they're saying "everyone else" finds this completely benign and the only people seeing any issue with this is Gamergate. I think statements like that are intellectually dishonest, because they're speaking in absolutes, not allowing for the possibility of someone seeing this mailing list as problematic. Furthermore, to state that and then cite Kyle Orland, the founder of GJP as the source for these being factual statement is poor journalism. You can't be a character witness for yourself, but that's how the article you linked is structured. Anyway, this doesn't mean all the information there is necessarily wrong, but it does make the the defense of GJP look very poor, and evidence of corruption / collusion is the part I'm most interested in.

Also your article doesn't even mention the leak of Phil Fish's records showing that Brandon Boyer invested money in Fez prior to judging it for the IGF. Don't get me wrong, there's a LOT of noise associated with Gamergate, but when valid points like this are glossed over and dismissed, I think that makes the anti-GG side look very bad. Anyway, the bottom line is I don't want gaming media looking like this anymore than it does already and GJP is certainly a step in the wrong direction:

TM8L7bdwVaA

Can't say I agree with you on the bionic augmentation front; I want to be as much robot as possible. Related question: which Unreal Tournament 2004 character did you use?
Mr. Crow.