Civil Protection Ideas

Dave and Mike go through an intense war sequence for a future video?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Dave and Mike go through an intense war sequence for a future video?

• YES
    • NO

Ross should make a Civil Protection episode where Dave and Mike go through a battle with hardcore action sequences and what not. I would love to see what kind of crazy war scenes Ross is capable of creating, and I think it would be funny to see Dave and Mike dealing with one of those situations.

If anyone else has any simple ideas that Ross can use or may help him add onto his future video post the, here

my only reservation is that it takes a lot of time to work out the scene for >10 characters max, just imagine how much work it would be to make an entire war.

Well there has been many Half-Life 2 war sequences online and some have actually been decent. He doesn't have to make them 100% scripted he could do the other tricks that others have tried.

I've actually never seen a battle sequence in a Source Machinima that I didn't want to improve personally.

You're right though, of course. Some are very decent, with a lot of incredible artsy work that are far superior to the usual.

Regardless, I think more weird ideas are better. Less visually fined up, more simple scenarios like Dave seeing something strange in the sky, or a scanner breaking down in front of them, or an overwatch call ordering them to investigate a seemingly dead zombie body (suggested before), or a brief moment with a freaky, clearly brainwashed Combine Soldier talking about his motives. Of course, I know Ross isn't limited by ideas, as he's stated countless times before.

Anyway, I think I'd also like to see Civil Protection enter the Half-Life 2's state of affairs at some point in the series' end. Maybe at around episode 60? 100? Who knows if it'll even get that far.

Mr. Otto! Nice to see you 'round these parts. While I do agree that "weird" is better, I also would like to see once in a while a good action sequence... just a couple of blasts, nothing fancy.

Also, points for rocking steady as usual.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

No. War sequence while they watch from a safe distance, while making some nice observations and not caring about it? Sure. But they actually participating or being in the middle of it, I think not. Doesn't fit the spirit of the series for me. I like it calm, simple and stupid. Also, that sounds like a whole lot of work, I don't feel like waiting 2 more years

I really like the call for checking out the seemingly dead zombie body.

@ Raicuparta: I think that the tunnel is going to show that Dave and Mike can be in an intense situation, but at the same time it will be simple and stupid. Ross Scott definatly has the capability to do it.

I wish there was a way I could invest in Accursed Farms. I would love for Civil Protection to expand ten-fold. They are the most amazing videos ever. Ive been watching them since they first came out. We really need to create a bigger team for Ross to use. He deserves help

I think it would be cool for CP to eventually tie in with the HL2 story but not so soon. Of course we can assume all the episodes before this happened take place in 15 years after the Combine have a strong hold on Earth. If CP started connecting with events in HL2 and its episodes so soon what would happen when the HL2 universe ends and (what I guess would happen) the Combine are forced from Earth by the Rebels and Freeman.

Choreography of a war sequence would be incredibly difficult to do if you plan on animating it.

Implementing clever camera tricks into just a staged AI battle in Garry's Mod with Source FilmMaker would feel clunky and artificial.

If you're thinking something along the lines of the Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan or Urban warfare scene from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZoy6wRJ-pw but in Half Life 2!, only a Valve-made creation would be able to even approach that level of detail. Much easier than that would be the use of Half Life 2 and Episodes assets and manually animate in Softimage XSI or Maya. If it was done in the past-time of one person, it would take longer than The Tunnel to make. If it was more than one person, it probably would cost money.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

No! War and CP should never be put together in an episode, because it just doesn't feel right. Think about it! CP should have a comedic storyline and be kind of silly. You want to put that into a context where there is death sprayed at whatever gets in the way, since it's kill or be killed. War and CP just don't go together.

I like it best when Mike and Dave get themselves into all sorts of adventures with little or no other characters being involved.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Ross should make a Civil Protection episode where Dave and Mike go through a battle with hardcore action sequences and what not.

I would not like this.

I would like to see an episode in which the two see Freeman, but do not acknowledge his significance. Or where Freeman and Mike speak to each other and completely disregard their similar voices/personalities.

Ross should make a Civil Protection episode where Dave and Mike go through a battle with hardcore action sequences and what not.

I would not like this.

I would like to see an episode in which the two see Freeman, but do not acknowledge his significance. Or where Freeman and Mike speak to each other and completely disregard their similar voices/personalities.

Agreed.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The way I could see this war sequence happening is if Mike and Dave are late to a raid they were assigned to. As they're slowly walking to the operation, there's explosions and gunfire and people dieing, while they're just chatting it up. One of the suspects is running away from the scene in their direction and they end up catching the guy. The way I envisioned it is that their conversation is about probability and chance, like say maybe the chance at winning the combine lottery. Dave thinks it could happen but Mike is skeptical. At the end, through sheer coincidence Dave stops at a street corner so that Mike can make a statement about how low the odds are, then the suspect comes running around the corner and just rams right into Dave. Or it could be the other way around, With the suspect crashing into Mike just as he turns around and is making his statement.

There are a lot of variations on how they could catch the guy, but since they're late to the raid, it would probably be through something either really stupid, or incredible coincidence.

The war sequences could be in the background as they're walking, like say across the river, there's a tank bulldozing through a concrete wall and some rebels shooting at it. Then it explodes from a rocket launcher blast. While Mike is just talking calmly about something semi-related, like health insurance cuts in the department. He could complain about how it's the one perk he really liked about their job, as they're covered for almost anything. Then as he lists some of the things they're covered for, we see instances of each across the river in the battle. Like some guy on fire, an explosion, gunfire, someone getting run over by a vehicle, etc. Mike could have his back turned to all this while Dave is facing the action. And knowing Dave, he'd probably make little sound effects or quietly say things aside like he usually does, "burn" "Krrboom" As each event plays out. Mike would then go into the chance topic. What are the odds of any of those events happening to them?

Just an idea. I think it could be done. Though it wouldn't be the hardcore action, people were expecting.

Sure, it'd be cool, but the time it'd take to animate and edit to make a decent-really good action sequence would be extensive.

I actually have an idea for this and it's probably not what you're thinking at all, but as people have mentioned, the workload for a proper action scene increases exponentially. I need a better process period and probably several engine improvements before I could even attempt what I want to try. As for my ability to do one, you can take a preview from the flashback sequence from "Oil's Well"

Man, The Tunnel took long enough, and now you want Ross to do a full-scale battle scene?

What... You aren't happy for the length! Unless you'd rather have to wait 6 month's for a 4 minute long episode (I.E: Arby n' The Chief In L.A). Seriously...

If I were to add an idea to the pile I would say, Civil Protection: What I did on my free day. The Life of Dave and Mike Off Duty for one day, where Mike and Dave show off the lighter sides of their day that today don't go according to what they have planned.

Heck I'd laugh if on their off-day Dave and Mike get kidnapped by the Rebels and the only reason they let them go is cause Dave is a insufferable pain in the butt, and Mike is constantly harrassing them with what will happen when Civil Protection finds out.

Dunno how I'd end it though, all I know is it would either end with a Rebel getting fed up with them and whacking them on the back of the head with their own stun sticks then dropping them off somewhere interesting. Or Civil Protection raids the apartment and either one of two things happens.

A) A Frag used to stir chaos inside the apartment rolls right in front of the two knocking them about the room, with Mike commenting on how much that hurt, and Dave who was located just behind Mike saying he'd didnt feel much as the end credits roll.

B) Civil Protection Raids the apartment, and they ask for who leads them, and the Rebels look over at the Dynamic Duo, and the scene flashes to them tied up in torture chairs in a Prison getting ready to be interogated. (Trade one Prison for another).

B2) Dave comments after all the Rebels look over at Mike and Dave after being asked who leads them:

" Well I more or less just follow him,"

Mike Quickly Comments:

" What? No! I don't!" (Cuts to a Black Scene with a Cell Slamming Noise. Slowing Brightens into the Torture Scene in one of the chairs with Mike sitting (Mike says to himself then "I'm gonna kill dave," End Scene go to Credits.