Appearance on the Co-Optional Podcast

Aren't the release dates just one day apart? And are you going to start a new campaign for that?

What are you talking about with the release dates? I'm talking about when it first unlocked on Steam, which is the exact same moment across the globe, local time does not matter. Less than an hour after it unlocked there was a torrent for the Digital Deluxe edition out for use, already cracked.

What do you mean a "campaign"? Honestly, I was expecting it to take about a week before anybody cracked it. It's from a lesser known cracker, so he probly doesn't do what the rest of the scene does, and wait a week or two for the initial sales to die down. (the scene's typical of a week or two is much better IMO, both for devs, and for people in general) I honestly wouldn't be surprised or upset if XCOM 2 devs were upset about it being cracked and released an hour after unlock, but the least I can do is tell them I WILL be buying this ASAP.

I misread their graphic of when they were releasing the game. But then I'm still confused on why you need to torrent the game, if you're intending on buying it asap, and the game torrent was available after release. Wouldn't it be faster you buying the game first of all?

It also had the option to preload the game, so even download rate wouldn't matter between Steam and the torrent client.

Problem is, I'm unemployed... Eat or play games... Not much choice here. Have to torrent to play non-free games, and there are unfortunately very few decent free games that hold my attention longer than 3 weeks.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Problem is, I'm unemployed... Eat or play games... Not much choice here. Have to torrent to play non-free games, and there are unfortunately very few decent free games that hold my attention longer than 3 weeks.

Why not try to look for a job instead of playing games? Or learn new skills, study etc?

Games are luxury. If you can't buy them because you are too broke you have issues which should be resolved firstly.

Then you play.

Why not try to look for a job instead of playing games? Or learn new skills, study etc?

Games are luxury. If you can't buy them because you are too broke you have issues which should be resolved firstly.

Then you play.

Totally agree. Games (apart from game devs, critics etc. who often don't really actually play that much games) are a product/service we buy to make us happy, to pass time, for entertainment etc. Saying - I want entertainment, but I can't afford it, so I will obtain it illegally doesn't really stand up for reasoning.

Then you play.

You're merely assuming that he/she doesn't have a job *because* all they do is play video games. That's a pretty big assumption to make.

BTG can't get a job cause he's too good for this world. B)

But anyway, slightly going off-topic guys, less BTG, more podcast/piracy or whatever in general. X3

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

There's absolutely no reason to be critical of someone's life situation here. Especially when you can be critical of their "I want it now." mentality instead. In the 90's, a three year old game would tend to be far worse technically and often gameplay wise. That isn't true anymore. It's not just smart to wait, you don't even have to be bored or play inferior games while doing it.

I suspect some piracy apologists conflate piracy not causing a 1:1 sale loss for an entire industry with piracy not causing a 1:1 sale loss for individual developers. Sadly it's impossible to get trustworthy numbers on this. I'd love to know what the breakdown of "Robin hoods" who pirate AAA games and then spend the money on indie games is vs 13 year olds who pirate everything vs """legitimate""" "demo" pirates vs "Tea" pirates who only target games they think have unfair dlc/pricing/region locks.

There's absolutely no reason to be critical of someone's life situation here. Especially when you can be critical of their "I want it now." mentality instead. In the 90's, a three year old game would tend to be far worse technically and often gameplay wise. That isn't true anymore. It's not just smart to wait, you don't even have to be bored or play inferior games while doing it.

I suspect some piracy apologists conflate piracy not causing a 1:1 sale loss for an entire industry with piracy not causing a 1:1 sale loss for individual developers. Sadly it's impossible to get trustworthy numbers on this. I'd love to know what the breakdown of "Robin hoods" who pirate AAA games and then spend the money on indie games is vs 13 year olds who pirate everything vs """legitimate""" "demo" pirates vs "Tea" pirates who only target games they think have unfair dlc/pricing/region locks.

Honestly, pirating AAA games at this point is like a saving grace. You think they deserve the money for what they do these days? They *know* they put out buggy uncompleted shit, they just don't do anything about it because they know it will get sales anyways. I pretty much never pirate games other than emulators but if I could run them in the first place and I knew how to get reliable/safe downloads, I would definitely pirate the shit out of AAA games. In the state they generally are in, I'm not going to spend even $20-30 on a 1-year old game.

EDIT: This is, sadly, still including games that are rushed to completion.

Honestly, pirating AAA games at this point is like a saving grace. You think they deserve the money for what they do these days? They *know* they put out buggy uncompleted shit, they just don't do anything about it because they know it will get sales anyways. I pretty much never pirate games other than emulators but if I could run them in the first place and I knew how to get reliable/safe downloads, I would definitely pirate the shit out of AAA games. In the state they generally are in, I'm not going to spend even $20-30 on a 1-year old game.

EDIT: This is, sadly, still including games that are rushed to completion.

You're generalizing. What you do with those kind of games, is refund them if you already have bought them, wait til they are fixed and/or on sale, or just buy games which function properly. There are enough good ones of those, and you are supporting well developed and supported games at the same time. It also applies to Indies.

There are enough good ones

And it keeps coming back to this... How many is 'enough'? What is the definition of 'good' in this context?

Not everyone likes all games in the same genre, even if done well. (many I know love Starcraft, but hate Command & Conquer, and vice versa) Enough is relative, and what is enough for you, might not be for others. What is 'good' to you, might be crap to others.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

And it keeps coming back to this... How many is 'enough'? What is the definition of 'good' in this context?

Not everyone lakes all games in the same genre, even if done well. (many I know love Starcraft, but hate Command & Conquer, and vice versa) Enough is relative, and what is enough for you, might not be for others. What is 'good' to you, might be crap to others.

What kind of games do you enjoy?

Not everyone lakes all games in the same genre, even if done well. (many I know love Starcraft, but hate Command & Conquer, and vice versa) Enough is relative, and what is enough for you, might not be for others. What is 'good' to you, might be crap to others.

Then there is also, do the people who like Starcraft but hate C&C want anything but more Starcraft?

You who distill within you the whole world,

attend to this voice from the realm beyond:

You’re beast, and demon, angel, human being;

whatever you show forth, you are that thing.

What kind of games do you enjoy?

I enjoy a large selection of games, but ones that aren't done well (this is a purely subjective assessment) result in my total lack of enjoyment of the game. The problem is the 99% of the F2P games are usually poor quality, and that other 1% is usually made up of stuff that requires a lot of microtransactions to do anything worthwhile.