What game universe do you want to live in?

Sign in to follow this  

So you did it then? :3 I had planned to steal your question and make a similar thread, looks like you beat me to it.

I'd be a monsters right activist in any fantastical Dungeons & Dragons-esque setting, or for the purposes of this thread a game like Skyrim or Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed Kind. I'd go around lecturing folk on not judging giants, goblinoids, golems, daemonic abominations, monstrous beat races, undead, fey, sylvan horrors and various other aberrations by their appearance or culture. "Just because this man-eating half-fiend Bladerager Troll was born from the corrupt unholy blood of Kadamslaug The World Devourer doesn't mean he's a bad person!".

I could of think of loads I wouldn't want to visit, and some that I don't think even my worst enemies would deserve. Ending up anywhere in the Silent Hill universe, whether its the mist-bound purgatory or the rusting flesh-hell other world, a place in which your own manifest emotional failings and repressed memories are brought to life as pitifully moaning pulsating meat monsters can't be a great experience for anyone.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Either Deus Ex or Skyrim

Just out of interest, the time of the original or the time of Human Revolution? And i'm assuming you chose it because you would (want to) get augmented yourself?

OT: Like i said in the Q&A Thread, Mass Effect. Maybe it's just a huge emotional attachment to the games, but i still believe it would be amazing.

Well, both the original and Human Revolution take place within times of extreme terrorism, riots within Detroit (and possibly many other areas, too) and overall conspiracy-esque events, regardless of what organization they used to represent a new-world-order theme(in this case, the Illuminati).

Let's be honest, chances are if you choose a world that is filled with violence, you'll want to get in on the violence yourself. Otherwise, you're going to live your life as it is now but with possible advancements e.g. 100 years into the future. That's how I feel, since the only difference in the world of Deus Ex, for the most part, is the current violent events. Aside from that, living in a world that is dealing with the questions that come with technological advancements that go so far as to enhance your natural body beyond its current evolutionary stage is something that would interest me a lot, whether not I truly understand what it would mean to be apart of such an ordeal.

I'd probably be some kind of augmented mercenary.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I think I would like it the most in Sins of Solar Empire universe as one of the Advent.

Sure there are wars between factions and some unknown threat from which Vasari are fleeing but living an ordinary life on one of the inner worlds wouldn't be bad at all with the technological advancement, open mind to augmentation and easy information sharing through PsiTech. I would probably end up as a researcher of some sort.

For the enemies, any hopeless and terrifying situation will be good enough - Von Braun in System Shock 2, mars base in Doom, USG Ishimura in Dead Space, Sillent Hill in Sillent Hill and the list goes on.

If I can change my race alongside it I would love to be in the Elder Scrolls universe as a Telvanni-born Dunmer. Elder scrolls and studying it's lore is like, two of my biggest passions and the chance to be a wizard lord of House Telvanni and become powerful as hell that would be a dream come true.

If I can change my race alongside it I would love to be in the Elder Scrolls universe as a Telvanni-born Dunmer. Elder scrolls and studying it's lore is like, two of my biggest passions and the chance to be a wizard lord of House Telvanni and become powerful as hell that would be a dream come true.

I'd prefer to be a token Orc in some hold, doing a really un-orcish job in order to confuse the local Nords. The Dark Elves are my favourite of the mer, so good choice! :3

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I'd prefer to be a token Orc in some hold, doing a really un-orcish job in order to confuse the local Nords. The Dark Elves are my favourite of the mer, so good choice! :3

I started with Morrowind way back when I was like, 13-14 so Dunmer and their culture have stuck with me xD

You also get to live in a giant mushroom tower. Who wouldn't want that? I've often speculated as to why a good portion of the Telvanni councilors are insane and I thought maybe it's due to them living inside a giant mushroom for so long? Can you imagine all of those fungal spores that you're breathing in constantly for who knows how many years? That can't be good. I'm guessing the spores aren't immediately fatal otherwise the Telvanni wouldn't living inside of the mushrooms. It's probably on par with living inside a house with lead paint. Not deadly but definitely not very healthy. Most of the insane ones are old too so maybe it's a combination of age, magic abuse and living conditions. That makes sense to me.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

You also get to live in a giant mushroom tower. Who wouldn't want that? I've often speculated as to why a good portion of the Telvanni councilors are insane and I thought maybe it's due to them living inside a giant mushroom for so long? Can you imagine all of those fungal spores that you're breathing in constantly for who knows how many years? That can't be good. I'm guessing the spores aren't immediately fatal otherwise the Telvanni wouldn't living inside of the mushrooms. It's probably on par with living inside a house with lead paint. Not deadly but definitely not very healthy. Most of the insane ones are old too so maybe it's a combination of age, magic abuse and living conditions. That makes sense to me.

Turns out the Dark Elves were the High Elves, all along...

The dunmer architecture was one of the many reasons I enjoyed Dragonborn the most out of all, in regards to Skyrim DLC's. Everything in Solsteim felt a little more unique and genuinely fantastical, with it's bizarre flora and fauna, the stark volcanic environment, the myriad giant spiders, the feisty goblin-like Rieklings, it's Ash themed undead, the daedric library plane of existence Apocrypha*, the noticeably ophidian dragons, etc. Skyrim was a fantastic enough place to explore, although indebted like most fantasy settings to the well established Tolkien tropes. Now that I think about it, being the inveterate bibliophile that I am, I can't think of anywhere else in the world I'd rather live than Apocrypha. I just need to get on good terms with Hermaeus Mora and his attendent Seekers and Lurkers.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I..I actually wrote lore documents which made living in Telvanni towers seem like a really good idea. Like my understanding was that a councilor or just inhabitant could, through magic, alter the tower however they wanted. The spores would actually act more like a way to bath and clean out one's insides before evaporating and that the inside of the pods could change the smell, feel, warmth and taste of the air depending on what the inhabitant wants

I mean, c'mon they're towers made by powerful mages that are kinda alive. :P They're practically suited for being engineered like that.

I..I actually wrote lore documents which made living in Telvanni towers seem like a really good idea. Like my understanding was that a councilor or just inhabitant could, through magic, alter the tower however they wanted. The spores would actually act more like a way to bath and clean out one's insides before evaporating and that the inside of the pods could change the smell, feel, warmth and taste of the air depending on what the inhabitant wants

I mean, c'mon they're towers made by powerful mages that are kinda alive. :P They're practically suited for being engineered like that.

I appreciate expanding upon pre-existing material. Was this for some practical end or was it simply a project for your own enjoyment? Your description of the fungal interiors effects on it's Dunmer inhabitants is verging on that sci-fi trope regarding the concept of biological engineering, of a species that developed/bred? materials and machinations by organic means. Whenever this type of thing appears in a settings lore or narrative in tends to be in regard to advanced paradigm shifting technology or pseudo-magical weaponry, but I've often pondered how an ordinary society of being relatively similar to ourselves would go about making an equivalent civilisation for themselves via living technology.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Just for fun and the hell of it. A lot of Elder Scrolls fans do this kind of stuff and it's pretty fun to get into. Also while it does border on sci-fi it kinda fits for Morrowind since Morrowind is the most alien land in the entire series.

Just for fun and the hell of it. A lot of Elder Scrolls fans do this kind of stuff and it's pretty fun to get into. Also while it does border on sci-fi it kinda fits for Morrowind since Morrowind is the most alien land in the entire series.

The Elder Scrolls series has that expansive feel to it, like the Warhammer universe or Star Trek. They leave a lot of room for fans imagination to run wild.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

As far as I can tell the Telvanni just grow the mushrooms and live inside of them. I was always under the impression that the mushrooms had minds of their own and that the Telvanni were like parasites living inside of the mushrooms.

Now that I thought about it I think would rather be a master of the Morag Tong then a master of house Telvanni. I find the idea of legal assassination fascinating. I get to murder people without being arrested on top of being paid for said murder? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me :twisted: . The Morag Tong are also quite terrifying too. As far as I can tell they don't exactly care as to who their targets are as long as they have a writ for them so technically anyone is up for grabs. Not only that but they also work with the guards on a regular basis. So you're effectively screwed if there's a writ for you. I would much rather be with them rather then be a potential target. The Telvanni especially seem like high priority targets along with the rest of the houses. So long as I don't have ambitions of becoming grandmaster I should be fine.

I think the Morag Tong needs a valid and legal reason to make a writ on them. So it has to be a valid family dispute or a valid reason to go after a higher member of a House (i.e. to stop a house war or a feud between families which is kinda their whole reason for being around) but of course there is no rule saying a Telvanni master couldn't become a Morag Tong agent as well, I did that quite a lot in Morrowind :P

but of course there is no rule saying a Telvanni master couldn't become a Morag Tong agent as well, I did that quite a lot in Morrowind :P

If we're going by the games rules then sure. But I always found it to be incredibly unrealistic that you could be head of most of the factions except for the houses. Even then you could use a glitch that would allow you to join another house. I think it would've been brilliant if there were some sort of management mechanics that would make it so you would only want to be head of only a few of the factions instead of all of them.

My dark elf character was a rogue/mage type. First he became grandmaster of the Morag Tong and the Thieves guild. Then he became the grandmaster of both house Telvanni and house Hlaalu by nefarious means. Then he took over the Mages guild for House Telvanni and took the necromancer's amulet for himself in his quest to become a lich. He went over to solstheim in search for the Mantle of Woe to further his quest for power. Once he got the mantle of woe he found that being all powerful was rather boring. So finally he became factor of the East Empire Company and ruled all of Vardenfell economically. He basically ended up as Donald Trump of Vardenfell. Though significantly smarter IMO.

Although if he's elected as hortator he'll reinstate Ghostgate to keep those ash creatures from taking our jobs and brand all of House Dagoth as terrorists. :D

The Elder Scrolls series has that expansive feel to it, like the Warhammer universe or Star Trek. They leave a lot of room for fans imagination to run wild.

Addendum: Assuming said fans will let you! ;)[sorry about this snarky post, I'm just bummed out by unimaginative lore nazis turning franchises into their own private fiefdoms]

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Addendum: Assuming said fans will let you! ;)[sorry about this snarky post, I'm just bummed out by unimaginative lore nazis turning franchises into their own private fiefdoms]

I can't speak for Warhammer or Trek but the TES lore community is generally positively receptive to people making their own stuff, the only time that isn't the case is few new fans who think "Nope, lore is what Bethesda says it is"

Funny how those fans will also ignore the spin-offs, the novels and ESO.

"Nope, lore is what Bethesda says it is"

Or what the devs from back in the isometric days put in the games, because "Bethesda is killing the Fallout franchise!!!11!ONE!".

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

"Nope, lore is what Bethesda says it is"

Or what the devs from back in the isometric days put in the games, because "Bethesda is killing the Fallout franchise!!!11!ONE!".

Well, for the most part, they are.

They don't recognize New Vegas as part of of "their" series, AFAIK.

They don't recognize New Vegas as part of of "their" series, AFAIK.

You mind providing proof of that please? Last I saw, they were referencing it numerous times throughout the Fallout 4 campaign...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.