Where's the Fair Use Awareness Topic

Yes, precisely... totally agree with BTG here.

Well, Google have been on the receiving end of a 7-year 2 billion dollars lawsuit (as have I, but that is a totally unrelated story, hehe :D ), so - who is to blame them for taking precautions to protect themselves?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom_International_Inc._v._YouTube,_Inc.

It is such a well known case, I'm surprised that someone in the "internet generation" is seemingly unaware of this...

Google really have no choice - they must comply with the takedown notices. And they are not in a position to investigate their veracity, and if they try - they will risk losing the "safe-haven protection" of the DMCA. And, of course, with the sheer amounts of uploads and these legal notifications - it is impossible to expect them to not use an automated system. So... Complaining against Google is pointless here - need to complain against the bad law...

Regards

The way I've always seen it, if you upload a video that contains someone else's content, you're taking a risk. You can add as many disclaimers in the video and the description as you want, but if you get flagged, you can either comply or forfeit your account.

About half of all my uploads have copyright claims on them. The frequent consequence is that the claimant earns money from my video (though checking on them now I find one of them is blocked worldwide). I'm not fussed because all my videos are pretty poor quality, and I have no audience. Of course if I were to start using YouTube a lot more professionally (which I intend to do perhaps this year), I'll take those videos down, or at least make them private.

If you're able to make a living on YouTube using copyrighted content, you're incredibly lucky.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

QNZPQssir4E

If there's a better example of how flawed this system is, I haven't found it. Apparently anyone can claim monetization by pretending to represent someone else when filing a claim.

Retired Forum Moderator

The way I've always seen it, if you upload a video that contains someone else's content, you're taking a risk. You can add as many disclaimers in the video and the description as you want, but if you get flagged, you can either comply or forfeit your account.

About half of all my uploads have copyright claims on them. The frequent consequence is that the claimant earns money from my video (though checking on them now I find one of them is blocked worldwide). I'm not fussed because all my videos are pretty poor quality, and I have no audience. Of course if I were to start using YouTube a lot more professionally (which I intend to do perhaps this year), I'll take those videos down, or at least make them private.

If you're able to make a living on YouTube using copyrighted content, you're incredibly lucky.

IHE gets shit on quite a bit, doesn't he? I think most of it is the specific content he's made fun of (e.g. that stupid cat) and how easily targettable his channel is.

I have a very important update on Where's The Fair Use. The copyright office in Washington D.C is looking for feedback on the DMCA. We have until April 1st 11:59 PM EST to give comments in regards to it. Please go have your comment be heard and be as descriptive as possible.

https://www.takedownabuse.org/

NoIL5qUI1p8

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

The DMCA I honestly feel is to a degree outdated and needs to be set up for ones that are making reviews under total fair use, If PIPA and SOPA do get Passed or something like it.....you better damn well believe I am going to want to find a way to hack in to the Federal Bureau of Investigations Cyber Division and literally get them slammed to the wall with this DMCA crap.....the fair use is almost dying the way google and YT are dealing with it...... I feel like unless they do something more about these false claims because these false claims when they arent actually made by the real company in question and they dont see the issue behind it because money and greed then really Youtube and Google need to get their act together

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.