Battlefield 5 is set in WW1?

Sign in to follow this  

*For the record, the war was not Germany's fault, they just took all the blame because they lost. But there's about a 50/50 shot you already know that, Extra Credits did a decent series on the matter and clearly you watch them. Crash course also did several excellent episodes on the matter, which I personally think are better from an educational standpoint, but that's neither here nor there.

I watch EC more for the perspective on video games from a design standpoint than history lessons.

You can't really put the blame of WW2 on any one country, since it started out as several smaller conflicts rather than just one person or country.

I think you just had a slight typo... You can definitely blame the *second* world war on one country, at least in the European theatre. (In the pacific, it's WAY more complicated.) But as for the first world war, it really just started because the Austrian archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo, the Austrians got a blank check from Wilhelm to act as long as they did it fast (as to keep it a small, regional conflict) but the moron went on vacation right after saying that, the Austrians gave totally unreasonable demands to give themselves an excuse instead of just acting and largely sat on their hands for two weeks, Wilhelm returns to find they STILL hadn't acted, the Russians mobilized towards the German border and guaranteed the war would involve them (therefore their allies in France, and their allies in Britain), and the Russians refused to back down, forcing Germany to mobilize against them to defend itself.

So really, one conflict. And several mind-numbingly horrific gaffes on the part of Europe's leaders made mostly because the rulers involved were complete fucking morons.

who would you pin the blame of world war 2 on? japan invaded china and attacked the u.s., germany and russia both wanted eastern europe, there were a bunch of lesser known conflicts around asia and africa

i'm definitely no historian but i wouldn't pin world war 2 down to just one country or conflict, a lot of stuff happened before it became a world war

the name's riley

like Seattleite said, you can blame WW2 on country, at least when it comes to european involvement. Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Pact, that divided countries between Germany and USSR between the two, effectively starting ww2. History tends to often forget that 2 nations also held victory parade together in Brest, after capturing Poland

When it comes to asian theater, 2 conflicts stand out: manchuria war (which was relatively small conflict, but enough to prevent japanese from invading USSR) and sino-japanese war, that was direct reason sanctions were imposed on japan, causing it to declare war on UK, USA & dutch.

So yeah, i do think we can safely call 2 countries that caused it and 2 other conflicts that caused it to go global.

EDIT: oh, i should mention i am history geek, so this is common view on conflicts that directly caused ww2 (even in Russia, though there they often "forget" to mention USSR as one of countries that caused it)

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

If the game is more about the struggle of trench warfare and how it can effect the human mind I might give it a look. Honestly, I'm kinda hoping it's really story deep and relies on it's writing more then graphics and combat

then again, it's EA.

like Seattleite said, you can blame WW2 on country, at least when it comes to european involvement. Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Pact, that divided countries between Germany and USSR between the two, effectively starting ww2. History tends to often forget that 2 nations also held victory parade together in Brest, after capturing Poland

When it comes to asian theater, 2 conflicts stand out: manchuria war (which was relatively small conflict, but enough to prevent japanese from invading USSR) and sino-japanese war, that was direct reason sanctions were imposed on japan, causing it to declare war on UK, USA & dutch.

So yeah, i do think we can safely call 2 countries that caused it and 2 other conflicts that caused it to go global.

EDIT: oh, i should mention i am history geek, so this is common view on conflicts that directly caused ww2 (even in Russia, though there they often "forget" to mention USSR as one of countries that caused it)

Well, I wasn't getting that in depth. If I did, I would have been talking about the Treaty of Versailles, the primary reason the Nazi party was able to rise to power, which was the fault of all the allied nations in the great war. I was only talking about Germany breaking its end of the bargain and then going after all of Europe.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

please. Primary reason nazis were able to rise to power was because of great economic crisis.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

...You do realize where that economic crisis came from, right?

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

apparently there is new rumour about setting of BF5: near future, with Russia invading Europe. Either way, it seems BF5 is must-buy to me as locations mentioned in leak are: Kiev, Vilnius and.. Tallinn! I'd take it- not too many games having some action set in Estonia.

C4jU-A2aioE

So... They're making a Bad Company 3, and the reports are getting mixed in with the Battlefield 5 stuff?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Its official- battlefield 1 (as it is the title. kinda stupid one if you ask me) is set in WW1. True, its rumoured to be set in alternate reality, which i can technically support, as long as they dont go too far off real history and include real stuff.

Meaning, im excited as heck

I haven't actually been this excited for a battlefield game since 2011

c7nRTF2SowQ

the name's riley

one other concern- i hope they dont make game too USA-focused (even the campaign).

Well... I'm not sure about this game. I just watched the trailer, and I feel like it told me absolutely nothing.

I was disappointed with Bad Company 2, completely lost my faith in the series with Battlefield 3 and have refused to accept the existence of Battlefield 4. I am willing to give them another chance however!

This is the 1st time i've ever felt excited for a videogame in a long time. The idea of a FPS shooter taking place in WWI is the icing in the cake for me. Here's hoping the game's gonna be good upon release.

Welp, now what?

It's by EA... It's going to be extremely buggy for the first 2 years, lag ridden for year 3, and filled with hackers for years 4 and 5. There is no year 6+, EA will make sure of that.

Lets just hope it will a battlefield game (hardline is not battlefield) and not battlefront. BF4 had its problems (launch was awful to say the least), but later especially with DLCs it become easily like a 8/10 game. Battlefront for many is doomed from the start at its core gameplay...

It's by EA... It's going to be extremely buggy for the first 2 years, lag ridden for year 3, and filled with hackers for years 4 and 5. There is no year 6+, EA will make sure of that.

It's PUBLISHED* by EA

I'll leave Bad Company 2 as a prime example of why you're not exactly right here, BC2 doesn't have the biggest playerbase but it sure as hell is alive and kicking and has next to no hackers in my experience, even today

As for Dice, I have enough faith in them to not fuck BF1 up, especially after they gave BF4 much needed support after Hardline's release.

the name's riley

It's PUBLISHED* by EA

I'll leave Bad Company 2 as a prime example of why you're not exactly right here, BC2 doesn't have the biggest playerbase but it sure as hell is alive and kicking and has next to no hackers in my experience, even today

As for Dice, I have enough faith in them to not fuck BF1 up, especially after they gave BF4 much needed support after Hardline's release.

The problem with BF4 was that it was rushed out. I really hope it won't be like that again. DICE has done awesome job with their support, patches, community and night maps for BF4. BF still seem to have ~100k or more players (across all platforms).

BTG, mate. i really get hate against EA, but at least be objective about it. EA itself has made (and also published) some great games that are still great today. Some great games were made even 14 years ago.

BTG, mate. i really get hate against EA, but at least be objective about it. EA itself has made (and also published) some great games that are still great today. Some great games were made even 14 years ago.

History... Recent history shows they are nothing at all like what they used to be.

yet if they change one way, they can change another way as well