I Hate The Steam Client/Tips For Dealing With It

Sign in to follow this  

As of late the steam client has been really getting on my nerves. First why can't Steam just let me download my games from my browser like GOG does? Going through the Steam Store on the Steam client is awful. Also I don't care about what game my friend is currently playing or what pointless achievements this game has. Why are you trying to be a social platform for me in gaming, an area which I don't care to be social in? I just want to play my games. Nothing more, nothing less. As if those sorts of things actually mean something useful ingame. Oh, well I get distracting popup that has gotten me killed on numerous accounts instead. Golly gee, thanks for this useful feature Valve. Why don't you download stuff in the background without my knowledge while you're at it too. It's not like I would care to be informed about this sorta thing beforehand.

If anyone has any tips for dealing with the Steam Client I'd like to hear them. I'm pro GOG these days and haven't bought a Steam game in years. Yet I don't want to fully abandon the Steam games that I already have.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

You can both disable the pop-ups AND restrict Steam from automatically downloading... >.>

Steam is an amazing program and I would rather it over any other gaming based client.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

You can both disable the pop-ups AND restrict Steam from automatically downloading... >.>

Steam is an amazing program and I would rather it over any other gaming based client.

Also if you don't wanna be social on Steam, simply go offline in the chat...?

+1

The options menus are your friend.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

It would be nice if I could notice the options menu right front of me. Sorry I was being an idiot.

Also if you don't wanna be social on Steam, simply go offline in the chat...?

Yeah you can go offline. But how do you get rid of the prompt that asks you whether you want to go back online or not?

650x250xsteam-offline-header.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.HlpmmSthUU.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a never show up again checkbox for to untick. I'm guessing it might be a little more complicated then that. Like I might have to edit a config file or something.

Edit: Found what I was looking for. http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/102867/remove-steam-is-currently-set-to-be-in-offline-mode-dialog. According to the first answer You need to set SkipOfflineModeWarning to 1 in the loginusers.vdf located at Steam/config. I've tried this and it seems to be working.

Just add (or edit if it is there) "SkipOfflineModeWarning" "1" to Steam\config\loginusers.vdf. Should work on Mac too.

Example content of loginusers.vdf:

"users"
{
   ""
   {
       "AccountName"       ""
       "PersonaName"       ""
       "RememberPassword"      "1"
       "Timestamp"     ""
       "WantsOfflineMode"      "1"
       "SkipOfflineModeWarning"        "1"
   }
}

I wrote a script for Windows to automate it

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Yeah steam isn't the greatest. I'm mostly okay with the minor inconveniences as they've never done much beyond block the occasional click in the screen corner but yesterday trying to trade a card over to Alyxx was an adventure. I kinda understand why they do it that way but right now it's basically "we're gonna confuse you, then punish you for getting confused"

Basically if you aren't synced in to a mobile device every trade (at least for cards it seems) get's locked on hold for 24 hours. If you cancel an on hold trade then it seems like you have to wait 7 days to try again. I know they're trying to limit scam accounts' ability to move inventory between accounts(and allow people who feel they got scammed to get back their stuff) but I imagine this scenario where someone get's the trade on hold, thinks they did something wrong, cancels to try again, and get's stuck for a week.

Retired Forum Moderator

Yeah you can go offline. But how do you get rid of the prompt that asks you whether you want to go back online or not?

You can set yourself to be offline for the social system, but not offline in the client itself... I think that was what was meant.

Just click on the 'Friends' menu at the top of the client window, and select offline. (it leaves the client online so you can still play online games while not having a social life)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.