Interactive Narrative Experiences/Walking Simulators

@PriestOfJudas Just to let you know he prefers being called Yahtzee. I presume you're somewhat new to ZP. :D

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Not really. I just really hate calling him Yahtzee. He has an actual damn name and I always preferred to use that one instead of this one-word nickname. Kinda like how I always liked to call Slash as Saul Hudson.

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

Not really. I just really hate calling him Yahtzee. He has an actual damn name and I always preferred to use that one instead of this one-word nickname. Kinda like how I always liked to call Slash as Saul Hudson.

Hmm I never really thought of it like that. Do you feel that birth names sound more proper then nicknames? I've always called a person by whatever name they wanted to be called by. It's not something I'm very conscious of though I do have a pet peeve for pronunciation. For instance I've been playing Witcher 3 and it has names that are pronounced in very particular ways. I think this is due to the game being Polish and the English voice actors were told how those names are actually pronounced. What bothered me was that until a name was mentioned by a character I had no idea how the names were pronounced. I thought Skellige was pronounced Skel-egg but instead it's pronounced Skel-egg-guh and I cringe looking back on the way I initially pronounced it. I Also thought Quen was pronounced just qu-en but again I was wrong it's actually pronounced q-when.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Hmm I never really thought of it like that. Do you feel that birth names sound more proper then nicknames? I've always called a person by whatever name they wanted to be called by. It's not something I'm very conscious of though I do have a pet peeve for pronunciation. For instance I've been playing Witcher 3 and it has names that are pronounced in very particular ways. I think this is due to the game being Polish and the English voice actors were told how those names are actually pronounced. What bothered me was that until a name was mentioned by a character I had no idea how the names were pronounced. I thought Skellige was pronounced Skel-egg but instead it's pronounced Skel-egg-guh and I cringe looking back on the way I initially pronounced it. I Also thought Quen was pronounced just qu-en but again I was wrong it's actually pronounced q-when.

I have a soft spot for words and names that look absolutely nothing like how they are pronounced. There's a decent number of old English surnames, whose disparity between the spelling and pronunciation is absolutely baffling.

Magdalene = "Mord-lin"

Beauchamp = "Bee-cham"

Featherstonehaugh = "Fan-shaw"

Auchinlech = "Aff-leck"

Woolfardisworthy = "Wool-see"

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

While that is not always the case, I sometimes feel like having a one-name nick is a bit too pretentious, especially for musicians. And when your nickname has a "The" in front of it, I feel even more compelled to not call you that. The Weeknd and The Edge can suck it.

While that is not always the case, I sometimes feel like having a one-name nick is a bit too pretentious, especially for musicians. And when your nickname has a "The" in front of it, I feel even more compelled to not call you that. The Weeknd and The Edge can suck it.

Well... I am THE BTGbullseye, and nobody seems to take issue with that... :P:lol:

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

There is a fine line between an alias you take on the Internet and the name you wish for everyone to refer to you on a professional basis.

Back on topic... I just played Layers of Fear. Forget all the other walking simulators and interactive narrative games you've played so far and go and play it i m m e d i a t e l y.

Forgive the hyperbole, but I've been playing it since 2 PM and managed to finish the game, I've only just noticed it was 9 PM. I've never become so engrossed with a game of this particular genre that I've lost track of time. Not only that, but unlike most IWE/WS games this has some genuine replay value - with three different endings depending on the notes and items you collect, events and rooms you choose to enter or become involved in. It also is absolutely dripping with menacing atmosphere, a haunting soundtrack and ambience, a skin-crawling and masterfully vague plot, and you ought to have a peek at it if you like horror.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I once played a game called "The Beginner's Guide", completely blind (not literally). I've beaten it in one sitting.

This game got me thinking quite a bit. About Coda, about the author of "The Beginner's Guide" (forgot his name), about inspiration and will to create things, about various topics and setting that arose during the game...

So anyway, I went through it.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T COMPLETED "The Beginner's Guide":

To be perfectly honest, at first I've been listening to the Narrator as... well, the Narrator, the one who was simply telling a story. And when I reached the part with the floating islands in the middle of white void, that got me confused. I was even more confused when I got a gun and started to destroy everything. And it finally clicked when I reached half-way through the message Coda left behind. The kicker was when I saw no switch behind the puzzle door. The switch was always behind the door, and this time it simply wasn't there. And I walked through the rest of the game in daze. And I realized that the last levels were about the NARRATOR, NOT CODA, only an hour later. I was like "oh, now I get it! ...wait, what?" when I figured it out.

And no, I still have no clue about that sign.

So yeah, that was quite an experience. I recommend going through this game to anyone who haven't tried it yet and don't know what it is about

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------