Evolution vs. Creation being taught in schools

Sign in to follow this  

Because it is the foundation of 99.999999% of dates used in supporting Evolution

Evidence pl0x.

That's why I think we need both religion and science in school

I can't agree simply because there isn't really a general religious consensus in the way that there's a general scientific consensus. There are just to many religions with conflicting viewpoints to teach, and secularism in public school teaching is important to avoid a clash between a kids personal life and school life.

I think it's important to learn different religions to help kids understand how some cultures work and to help them see the similarities and differences between them.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I think the big problem is that there are just so many religions and so many denominations in each religion, you'd need to major in it in college to scratch the tip of the iceberg (I think I mixed my metaphors).

And, it definitely should not be taught as science until one of the religions can meet the basic requirements to be considered "science".

That's why I think we need both religion and science in school

I can't agree simply because there isn't really a general religious consensus in the way that there's a general scientific consensus. There are just to many religions with conflicting viewpoints to teach, and secularism in public school teaching is important to avoid a clash between a kids personal life and school life.

I think it's important to learn different religions to help kids understand how some cultures work and to help them see the similarities and differences between them.

There is a massive difference between teaching ABOUT religion and TEACHING religion.

Also, Evolution and Creationism simply aren't at equal levels. Period.

Evolution is a well founded scientific theory(look up the definition) with hundreds of thousands of peer review articles that can confirm its validity. Just a simple high school understanding of Evolution is enough to see why these AREN'T equal, but Intelligent design proponents DON'T have this level of understanding!

EvolutionCreationCartoon.jpg

I'm glad I live in Norway, where this ignorance is dying. Although I go to a private school that happens to be religious, so I experience this first hand.

Glad I'm outta here soon...

@BrainBlow

O.O What's E=MC2 doing in there.

Caricatures...

You're not questioning the cloud? :3

I believe schools have the right idea, by teaching it as a theory and not fact. Almost every online resource of teaching materials refers to things supporting evolution as evidence and not proof or fact. For example: one of the largest printers of educational textbooks in the world (Glencoe/McGraw-Hill) never once refer to evolution as fact, but instead refer to it as a concept or theory. Here's some samples of their study guides:

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/science/biology/bio2000/pdfs/bdol15-1.pdf

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/science/webquest/content/dinobirds.shtml#introduction

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/science/webquest/content/hominidfossils.shtml

They even encourage students to debate and decide for themselves their own ideas and if the evidence presented supports their ideas. It never questions the faith of students

Sorry but evolution is a fact. Modern day evolutionary theory explains that fact. That atoms exist is a fact, atomic theory explains how they work. That germs cause disease is a fact, the germ theory of disease explains how it happens. Gravity is a fact, Einstein's theory of general relativity explains how it works. Continental drift is a fact, plate tectonic theory explains how it works.

And I could go on and on and on, are you beginning to see the relationship between scientific theories and facts?

Theories explain facts.

They even encourage students to debate and decide for themselves their own ideas and if the evidence presented supports their ideas. It never questions the faith of students

Why is this done only with evolution? Why can't students make up their own mind on gravitation? And let them believe in geocentricism if they want to. Why not do the same with Newtonian physics? Let students make up their own minds whether F = ma

How about chemistry? Let the students decide for themselves if molecules and atoms exist or not. Why not the same with geology? Let the students decide for themselves whether or not plate tectonic exist. Why only do this for evolution which is one of the best supported theories we have in science today?

Science is decided in the scientific community, in peer reviewed papers based on research and evidence. Not in a high school classroom. By doing stuff like this we're sending the message that you can decide for yourself what reality is, hey anything that makes you feel good right?

And why keep it to science? Why should the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle be the sum of the squares of the remaining two lines? I say, Christopher Columbus didn't sail to North America in 1492; he flew to Japan in his gyroprop in 1942. I say, teach the controversy! The Egyptians didn't build the pyramids; it was space aliens! Let our children decide the truth!

I am not being sarcastic here. This is truly what creationists want.

And why keep it to science? Why should the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle be the sum of the squares of the remaining two lines? I say, Christopher Columbus didn't sail to North America in 1492; he flew to Japan in his gyroprop in 1942. I say, teach the controversy! The Egyptians didn't build the pyramids; it was space aliens! Let our children decide the truth!

I am not being sarcastic here. This is truly what creationists want.

This is the simple point that unfortunately goes straight over the heads of many people.

All of those 3-4 points behind me are unnecessary, stupid or abusive, just present the evidence that evolution uses to BTG and let him decide. If he questions, answer or point to a site.

Present the fact that it's officially a scientific theory.

Now let him decide, every man has the freedom for that.

But your arguing went down very badly in quality.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Evolution's already fact as much as gravity, thermodynamics, and germs are. He has the freedom to deny that gravity exists, but that doesn't mean he's going to survive jumping off the Empire State Building.

I'm sorry if you think it's degrading the quality of the conversation, but babies do come about by the reproductive process of sperm and egg coming together, gestating in the uterus of the woman, and then being birthed. There is no stork involved. No cabbage patch. You don't get to "decide" facts.

I've noticed every time I post anything in this topic my rep goes down. I'll stop that now then...
Well this thread's going to hell in more ways than one.

Sorry but evolution is a fact. Modern day evolutionary theory explains that fact. That atoms exist is a fact, atomic theory explains how they work. That germs cause disease is a fact, the germ theory of disease explains how it happens. Gravity is a fact, Einstein's theory of general relativity explains how it works. Continental drift is a fact, plate tectonic theory explains how it works.

And I could go on and on and on, are you beginning to see the relationship between scientific theories and facts?

Theories explain facts.

Theories are ways to explain phenomena not facts. How do you know for sure that continental drift is a fact? Obviously plate tectonics is the most viable theory by an astronomical margin considering current evidence. But it is not a fact until someone drills to the center of the earth and observes it happen. Not everything has been discovered

Ok, I've found something that has shifted my stance toward evolution as a fact and not a theory. Google "Richard Lenski E. Coli". If this doesn't change anyones opinion, nothing will.

100 percent average every time, all the time.

The_Doctor: I've tried this with a creationist I was conversing with once. I showed him multiple evidences that bacteria evolve. His response? "But they're still bacteria."

I thought that was extremely telling. At least, for this person.

I was just debating with this creationist on YT when... This.... Happened-

Trying to flood the board spinning like a demon in your false prophet Darwin atheist genesis vomiting won't convince me that God is a liar. I am not only saying evolution is a hoax, I am also pointing at specificities that demonstrate that the evolution of a single cell in a multitude of well designed, programmed and engineered species over billions of years while guided by a mythical force borrowed to old pagan cult is just a silly atheist fairy tale.

*edit* There's more D:

I wasn't talking to him this time, it was another guy replying to him-

You've never addressed anything when I've pointed to a Darwinian atheist genesis and the mythical law it supports itself with as a web of fallacious conjectures. You always respond with silly allusion to a lack of integrity. You are just a sanctimonious and contemptuous lying devil who believes in the sanctity of the the cult fossiliferous relics and the veracity of the absurd fairy tales they inspire. You also keep joining with your atheist brothers in blaspheming God and his Christ.

And more, must be a poe. Or I have lost faith in humanity. -

Your hoaxe claims were all dealt with- but still you cite them.... You manage this by never looking up references. Intellectual integrity failure.

You claim you should not have an education in evolution- but you only support this by saying evolution is false and this is a waste of time- or a threat to your mind. The basis of this is circular reasoning- another term in logic you fail entirely to understand. Refusing to study it while attacking it in strawman is intellectually false

Earthquakes are evidence of plate tectonics. A theory is an explanation of observable phenomena. If observable phenomena is not "fact", I don't now what "fact" is.

I agree. I feel stupid now, I worded that very badly :lol: . What I was trying to say was that plate tectonics is only one theory of why earthquakes happen. Granted other theories aren't very likely considering evidence. But the theory isn't a fact until there is some incontrovertible evidence presented. But this isn't even the correct thread for this! I thought we were discussing whether or not Evolution or Creation being taught in schools! What happened to that?

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.