Evolution vs. Creation being taught in schools

Sign in to follow this  

So I checked it out and looked at the meaning of the words and here's what I came up with: Pan is a Greek word and it means "pertaining to all people"... okay. I think we all no what the " spermia " bit means so here's what I got.

The Sperm that pertains to all people... hmm

Whatever the fuck it means, I don't think the world wants to know.

So I checked it out and looked at the meaning of the words and here's what I came up with: Pan is a Greek word and it means "pertaining to all people"... okay. I think we all no what the " spermia " bit means so here's what I got.

The Sperm that pertains to all people... hmm

The literal translation of the word simply means "the origin of the human race".

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

PANSPERMIA

I thought Pan was latin for foreign.

Foreign sperm, well then, that's not disturbing at all.

PANSPERMIA

Foreign sperm, well then, that's not disturbing at all.

Alien sperm is better?

So that means that before I die I will become God?

No, but there's an extremely small possibility that if you live long enough, you will play Dr. Who on TV.

I didn't think any Evolutionist had ever tried to disprove their own belief... Why should Creationists?

Um yes, scientists try to disprove what they believe all the time. (Or to be more accurate, using observation and experimentation they try to determine whether an argument is true or false). Determining whether or not an argument is falsifiable is an inherent part of the scientific proccess.

Crreationists do not. There is no experimentation in Creationism. No Creationists ever do science to try to determine whether or not God exists. (Some people - like me - do, but Creationists always ignore the results.)

There are, however, experiments that can be carried out to help determine whether or not Panspermia is a possible hypothesis. The Plenetary Society is working on one right now, to determine whether or not organisms can actually survive being exposed to space for the kind of time it would take to travel between planets. They're putting a sample containier holding several hardy Earth life forms on a Russian probe that is scheduled to fly from Earth to Phobos and back.

If the critters siurvive the trip, it will lend weight to (but not prove, by any means) the panspermia hypothesis.

PANSPERMIA

Nope, "whole" or "encompassing"

Pangaea = all the Earth

Pantheon = all the Gods

Panacea = cure-all.

Pan-European = across Europe.

And so on.

The literal translation of "Panspermia" is, in fact, "all seed." Nothing about origin, human, or race.

In fact, it immediately becomes obvious that the "spontaneous" existence of GOD (which is supposed by the believers to be of an infinitely higher and more complex order than any life form) must, using the same "theory" of statistical analysis, be FAR MORE improbable than evolution. If your argument is true, your "designer" can't exist.

You all keep falling back on God... It isn't possible that some alien species seeded us here?

Theoretically possible, but unlikely. Our biochemistry suggets an Earth origin. (At least, until we can study the biochemistry of other worlds where life has arisen... which is a long way off.)

In any case, saying we were seeded doesn't answer the original question... where did the seeders come from, ad Infinitum.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

The literal translation of "Panspermia" is, in fact, "all seed." Nothing about origin, human, or race.

That is the word translation, not the meaning translation.

In any case, saying we were seeded doesn't answer the original question... where did the seeders come from, ad Infinitum.

So just because some people dislike to speculate on something we don't, and may never know, the theory has to be thrown out as nonsense?

Hey sorry if I'm screwing up the thread for you, but this forum section is for issues that could create really big problems for society. Things like food production, extreme poverty, etc. While it definitely impacts society, whether evolution is taught in schools I don't see it as an issue that's going to directly threaten its stability. I'm moving this to the "General" section.

Also while I may piss some people off saying this, the evolution v. creationism thing is kind of black and white to me. Evolution is science. Creationism is not. You can observe evolution in action just from killing cockroaches. With regards to man, we only have a zillion fossils showing a pretty clear transition from ape to human. I think the only real point of "debate" is the actual origin of life on Earth. We haven't proven exactly how that's started yet. But then you can't actually "prove" ANYTHING with science, you can only DISPROVE things. I saw a bumper sticker I liked before that said "Evolution is just a theory. Just like gravity"

I'd like to give a huge hand to Ross Scott ladies and gentlemen. Single-Handedly killing the monster posts.

A true hero!

I still have yet to see any transitioning fossils from anything, to anything else... I've looked quite hard to find a decent one, but they are all faked from what I've seen.

There are literal truckloads of evidence for evolution but not a single shred of evidence for creationism. Want evidence for evolution?

Look in a mirror. Then look at your parents. Are you exactly the same as them? No? Then that "proves" evolution.

Creationism should not be taught as a science. Because it is not a science.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

There are literal truckloads of evidence for evolution but not a single shred of evidence for creationism. Want evidence for evolution?

Look in a mirror. Then look at your parents. Are you exactly the same as them? No? Then that "proves" evolution.

Show me your evidence, and show me how the evidence I provided doesn't exist.

I have provided evidence. Look at my post.

Saying there is evidence doesn't show me any evidence.

Also, can you repeat for me your evidence? There's so much that has been posted here that I don't even know where to begin. Can you provide me with a beginning?

Post #1 in this thread.

My evidence is in the post you quoted. If you're not exactly the same as your parents, then that's evolution.

Your complaint about carbon dating has been summarily debunked by thousands of scientists. Carbon dating is only one of MANY methods of radiometic dating.

What evidence do you have of the Biblical flood?

My evidence is in the post you quoted. If you're not exactly the same as your parents, then that's evolution.

So every generation is a different species? If not, then how does this prove evolution?

Your complaint about carbon dating has been summarily debunked by thousands of scientists. Carbon dating is only one of MANY methods of radiometic dating.

Where/when/how was it debunked? There have been several independent studies broadcast on the Discovery and History channels, and there was something in Popular Science about the inaccuracies of C14 dating. (not inaccurate by a few days or even months, but by a varying percentage as high as 99% inaccurate)

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/blacksea/

So every generation is a different species? If not, then how does this prove evolution?

Evolution != Speciation

Define your terms.

Where/when/how was it debunked? There have been several independent studies broadcast on the Discovery and History channels, and there was something in Popular Science about the inaccuracies of C14 dating. (not inaccurate by a few days or even months, but by a varying percentage as high as 99% inaccurate)

The mere fact that carbon dating isn't the ONLY form of dating shows that your complaint is debunked.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/blacksea/

So. No evidence of the Biblical flood.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.