Share your videogame/mod ideas

Sign in to follow this  

I dont have any detailed ones now (as in fresh ones), but i remember when i was in school & was just introduced to likes of call of duty (at the time i think even 4 wasnt out) & battlefield 1942 (basically it was during ww2 games flood), i cooked up few ideas.

Probably my favourite idea, that i've entertained quite few times later on as well is to make an fps with early CoD styled campaigns (where they followed 3 different people). In fact whole franchise. All of it set during WW2. The selling point? Something different. It wasnt supposed to have best-known battles forced into them. Meaning no battle of Berlin, no D-day, no Stalingrad. Oh and another selling point? Each game was supposed to focus fate of random country in ww2, with focus on nations that played minor part or were gaught between gears.

I mean so many people tend to overlook tradegies WW2 brought, especially to smaller nations. The crimes commited to civilians that nobody talks about because they were commited by victor or happened to smaller nations.

Anyways, these were my motivations for the idea.

First game story was supposed to be focused on Estonia (since as estonian, i simply knew history of estonian better than any other). Now, years later however i figure Estonia fits for spot more than one reason. I mean its quite good example of destructivness of ww2- cities destroyed (including Narva, which before ww2 was named baroque pearl of Baltic sea), 25 percent of pre-war population lost due to warfare (making it one of largest population losses percentage-wise in ww2), deportations, escaping from war & also war crimes against estonian citizens and independence lost until 1991. Not to mention both nazis & soviets forcefully conscripting estonians into their armies.

I did have detailed notes about story at some point, but i lost those years ago. All i can remember is that story was supposed to focus on 3 different estonians in 3 different armies. One possible starting point i had in mind (to include 2 of them) was estonian army only battle in ww2- when soviet occupiers tried to disarm unit in raua street schoolhouse in 21st june 1940, where 2 of characters are part of defending. From there they go to separate ways.

S1 (short for Soldier 1) ends up being forcefully conscripted into red army, where he is first directed to work battalion (basically slave labour unit for untrustworthy soldiers). However, when war with nazis starts, he is thrown into frontlines. He manages to survive and when 8th estonian rifle corps (not to be confused with first formation) is formed in red army, he is transferred there. From there he goes trough same battles as rest of unit until he gets wounded enough to end his war in last battle on estonian soil to date- battle of Saaremaa. What he finds when returning home?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

S2- brother of S1 (but not revealed immideatly)- gets sent home. He lives rather peacefully with family until june deportation of 1941. His family is one of many unlucky who got labelled as enemies of the state. I imagine this cutscene to be most powerful one- seemingly cliche, but all too real in history. Entire family is woken at 2 AM (including infant & old & sickly mother of S2), given very short time to pack what they need and then off to the tightly packed cattlecars with men last seeing their families just before being loaded on, including S2. But before leaving Estonia, he and few other prisoners manage to escape due to sheer luck (not worked out that part yet). S2 will become then one of forest brothers who helps pushing soviets our of southern estonia after nazis go to war with USSR, but before they arrive. He, looking revenge for his family, joins nazi army in front lines, first as 3rd Estonian SS voluenteer division member, eventually becoming part of 20th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st estonian). During battle of Narva/Tannenberg line, he sees his brother on battlefield, but trough scope (situations like this did happen a lot with estonians during WW2). Long story short, he fights red army a lot, eventually getting pulled back when Germany starts losing a war. Here i hoped to make sort of pick-your-way thing. If he ends up being in Czech republic, he will become casualty of Czech Hell, if he ends up being able to surrender to west, he will become part of 4221 Guard company (US army) in Nuremburg trials.

As for soldier 3? His story is least tought trough. At least from what i can remember- basically he will be one of "Finnish boys" (nickname for estonian voluenteers who fought for Finland in Winter war & continuation war), one of first ones. His story consists mainly of fighting soviets in Finland and he is also one of those returning to Estonia to protect it from soviets in 1944. He is also one of those holding line in western Estonia, allowing civilians to flee from oncoming soviets. But he doesnt leave (unless choice mechanism could be applied here too), but decides to stick to the forests. His is also last battle- in ~1950, he and his forest brother brethren defend farmhouse. This battle cant be won.

Other countries i wanted to include in franchise- Finland, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Greece, Denmark, Norway, Czechoslovakia

EDIT! sorry for double post- too long text

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

It sounds good, just so long as it isn't JRPG style.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Another idea i have entertained quite a while is merge of RTS & FPS genres (in fact this idea dates back when i started playing civ 1, that i have refined in time). Think of it like 3-stage total war game: it is part grand strategy game, though not as complex as hearts of iron series, but more like total war or civ. Basically you build armies and buildings, go war with factions, move troops, decide when to fight, etc.

Should you decide to fight a battle, you can of course autoresolve, but other than that, you enter 3d battle, much like total war franchise 3d battles. Now, it would function similar to 3d battles in TW series, but the twist would be that you can enter FPS mode where you are placed in control of random soldier. To balance this feature, your command over battle would be harder (or given to AI entirely until you release control of the soldier) & soldier isnt stronger or weaker than any other of that type. when you die, you are placed into random other soldier. Morale would still be a factor and if unit routs, soldier routs & you are placed in random other soldier. But idea is that you can turn morale off altogether in options, meaning soldiers fight until last man.

@ Meelis13: You've put a hell of a lot of thought into your Estonian WW2 idea! Kudos to you, for making the bare bones of what sounds to be a pretty worthwhile plot. I don't know anything about CoD, I think I might of played a demo of one the earliest games in the franchise, so this particular games engine or genre isn't something I can give much input on. I wholeheartedly approve of games that take place in smaller or overlooked nations though, that isn't just another example of an Anglo-American ideal of an "exotic locale". Those countries tend to get left out of the grand arching narrative of world war two that exists in the popular imagination, often dismissed as nothing more than abstract occupied territories in precisely the way the major players of the conflict would of wanted. History has been very unkind and inattentive to those countries, and I think a solidly decent game set within an underrated nation's history would go a long way to rectifying that imbalance.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Another idea i have entertained quite a while is merge of RTS & FPS genres (in fact this idea dates back when i started playing civ 1, that i have refined in time). Think of it like 3-stage total war game: it is part grand strategy game, though not as complex as hearts of iron series, but more like total war or civ. Basically you build armies and buildings, go war with factions, move troops, decide when to fight, etc.

Should you decide to fight a battle, you can of course autoresolve, but other than that, you enter 3d battle, much like total war franchise 3d battles. Now, it would function similar to 3d battles in TW series, but the twist would be that you can enter FPS mode where you are placed in control of random soldier. To balance this feature, your command over battle would be harder (or given to AI entirely until you release control of the soldier) & soldier isnt stronger or weaker than any other of that type. when you die, you are placed into random other soldier. Morale would still be a factor and if unit routs, soldier routs & you are placed in random other soldier. But idea is that you can turn morale off altogether in options, meaning soldiers fight until last man.

So, you want the game 'Battlezone' underneath the Total War overmap... I like it, but make sure it's not something typically boring for an FPS. (sci-fi, or modern shooter combat would be good)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

problem is, i dont know how to make a game and im impatient enough to not learn it on my own- at least without good motivation

Actually, what I would like to see is someone making a proper sci-fi FPS which would still be fun.

I did play Planetside 2 for some time in the past and while I liked it, I couldn't help but to notice that the weapons and vehicles and most of the technology overall is pretty much equivalent to WW2. But when you look at current military technology and what is planned for the future, it looks like it's just the same old war reskinned to look futuristic.

I know why developers do this, because sitting somewhere piloting a drone or shooting someone with practically hitscan almost recoiless laser weapon would be boring and with low room for skill, but I believe it could be done so it would still be fun to play, although it would play very differently than our current modern first person shooter.

I think that the game could get the necessary skill from how players use their tools and their countermeasures against other players, that it wouldn't be as much about keeping your aim on his head fighting recoil of your gun but more about finding the guy first and creating an opening for a clear shot.

Regarding the Meelis13's idea, I like it, giving room to less known parts of history could bring more WW2 games without being just more of the same. You could also make a bit of a spin off with game focused mainly on resistence movements during WW2, which would probably be more stealth and dialogue oriented.

Honestly, I would be interested to see a game set in our history, but with our mythology being real. We have tons of different fantasy worlds but I don't know about a game which would build a world just on european mythology, or any other, they usually just take thing here and there and put them in their made up world.

A game set in the time of Thirty Years' War where you could encounter fexts on battlefield would be awsome. (fext is a type of an undead, from slavic mythology)

Regarding the Meelis13's idea, I like it, giving room to less known parts of history could bring more WW2 games without being just more of the same. You could also make a bit of a spin off with game focused mainly on resistence movements during WW2, which would probably be more stealth and dialogue oriented.

Honestly, I would be interested to see a game set in our history, but with our mythology being real. We have tons of different fantasy worlds but I don't know about a game which would build a world just on european mythology, or any other, they usually just take thing here and there and put them in their made up world.

A game set in the time of Thirty Years' War where you could encounter fexts on battlefield would be awsome. (fext is a type of an undead, from slavic mythology)

I feel that Slavic culture and mythology is underused and underappreciated in gaming, which a shame because it's extremely diverse and multifaceted. Without wanting to dwell on negative subjects and derail the thread, part of me suspects that this apparent lack of appreciation stems from a very unfair bias towards contemporary European identity. There's a sentiment (or more of an assumption) that mythology and literary/aesthetic tropes from this part of the world are somehow deviated and "hijacked" by unfortunate political elements. I'd personally love to play an open world game with a fantastically Slavic quality, the monsters and races of the old narratives are particularly exciting to someone with my teratological inclinations. inhabited by elemental dwarves, fey snow maidens, diseased ghosts, giant swans, particularly animalistic dragons (some decidedly non-reptilian), almost feral and often bird-like vampires, sorcerers and communal protectors with avowed control of the weather, as well as much maligned and demonized pre-christian gods, and some of the strangest and powerful witches I've come across in European mythology.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

A deathmatch game with unlockable tiers of weapons you can get by doing certain things.

I think it would be fun, wouldn't it? Start with late 19th century guns, work your way up to 21st.

Features:

*You can choose your own playermodel, and it will show up for other users of the server.

*Graphics you can run on your Voodoo2.

*Mod support.

*Addons and scripts for servers.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

A deathmatch game with unlockable tiers of weapons you can get by doing certain things.

I think it would be fun, wouldn't it? Start with late 19th century guns, work your way up to 21st.

Features:

*You can choose your own playermodel, and it will show up for other users of the server.

*Mod support.

I like it! Personally I wouldn't just stick to guns either, why not start at a prehistoric/pre homo-sapien level with only your fists and low cunning to get by. Eventually through levelling up you can gain access to improvised weapons, the advent of metallurgy, armour upgrades, and then somewhat later on you research and earn guns. Much much later on you can even acquire advanced explosives, and then veer off into sheer sci-fi territory with genetically pre-programmed nano-swarms and psionic augmented attacks?

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Features:

*Mod support.

I like it! Personally I wouldn't just stick to guns either, why not start at a prehistoric/pre homo-sapien level with only your fists and low cunning to get by. Eventually through levelling up you can gain access to improvised weapons, the advent of metallurgy, armour upgrades, and then somewhat later on you research and earn guns. Much much later on you can even acquire advanced explosives, and then veer off into sheer sci-fi territory with genetically pre-programmed nano-swarms and psionic augmented attacks?

Good idea.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

That reminds me in an idea I've had for a Battlefield-style game, where you could choose two teams from any era to fight each other (a bit like Deadliest Warrior I guess).

So you could for example have Vietcong vs. IRA, WWII U.S. Army vs. WWI British Army, etc.

That reminds me in an idea I've had for a Battlefield-style game, where you could choose two teams from any era to fight each other (a bit like Deadliest Warrior I guess).

So you could for example have Vietcong vs. IRA, WWII U.S. Army vs. WWI British Army, etc.

that would be interesting, but damn difficult to balance properly, if you want it to be even slightly realistic instead of just arcadey FPS. In melee era, its possible to balance well rather easily, but guns era? Not that much.

Also, you kinda would need to pinpoint exact year or years you pull armies from. and what units you'd base them on, stuff like that. definetly doable & i would like to see it happen, but it would just require hell of a lot of research & balancing.

Still, now that you mention it, im kinda suprised some triple-a company hasnt done it already- i mean that model offers lot of room for tons of DLC-s without people complaining too much & devs having to worry about some story or historical battles or stuff like that. I mean they could easily have like 10 armies & 10 maps as main game, then add more maps for free & also more armies- some free, some paid. win-win for developers: more money AND better reputation

Balancing would definitely be difficult. But what if it were an RTS? Could you lead 500 Roman soldiers into a battle against 100 WWI-era German soldiers and win?

I'm just a fan of having stuff from one place/time period in a completely different one. There already is "Pirates, Vikings & Knights", but I want something a bit more extreme than that.

Balancing would definitely be difficult. But what if it were an RTS? Could you lead 500 Roman soldiers into a battle against 100 WWI-era German soldiers and win?

I'm just a fan of having stuff from one place/time period in a completely different one. There already is "Pirates, Vikings & Knights", but I want something a bit more extreme than that.

Make newer soldiers less mobile.

Reading some of the comments here is giving me ideas for an RPG i've been thinking of. Basically most of humanity is extinct and civilization has started to regress into the Dark Ages. The cause of what killed most of the population isnt clear, but the world has become engulfed in a sort of darkness, which is dangerous to traverse and limits communication between settlements. There are things skulking in this darkness, preying on the last remnants of humanity. The game would revolve around travelling to these settlements and organizing expeditions into the abandoned places of the earth in hopes of finding supplies an clues into whatever happened to the world. There also would be bit of magic and realm-travelling involved.

Reading some of the comments here is giving me ideas for an RPG i've been thinking of. Basically most of humanity is extinct and civilization has started to regress into the Dark Ages. The cause of what killed most of the population isnt clear, but the world has become engulfed in a sort of darkness, which is dangerous to traverse and limits communication between settlements. There are things skulking in this darkness, preying on the last remnants of humanity. The game would revolve around travelling to these settlements and organizing expeditions into the abandoned places of the earth in hopes of finding supplies an clues into whatever happened to the world. There also would be bit of magic and realm-travelling involved.

Hey, if it's good, I'll play it.

Ever heard of Age of Empires lesser known cousin Rise of Nations? It pretty much has it in RTS form- if you tech fast enough, you can easily have archers vs tanks.

But that said, its still AoE-sque, so you cant exactly have that "500 romans vs 100 Keiser's soldiers" there (well, you can, just not as good).

I think the type of game you think is really really good idea though, but its engine would definetly have to be similar total war game. I mean it would give perfect chance to tactically play things trough- could 500 romans in any way win modern army composing of 100 soldiers? how many would they need? etc. I think i will ask around in TWC, maybe get this mod project rolling even