The Tunnel Discussion Thread [CAUTION: Spoilers!]

What a great episode. Even if there doesn't come to be a sequel I'm thoroughly satisfied; I found myself looking over my shoulder a few times, and the comedy was well placed.

As for theories as to what's behind it all, my first thought was that there was some sort of creature (a Cthulhu type being makes a lot of sense now that it's been mentioned) that had some sort of mind bending powers that corrupted the British man. Either that or he went through the same treatment as Dave and Mike, being placed in the flesh-pod thing, and the ordeal traumatized him to the point of insanity. I didn't really think anything of the body they found; assumed it was either one of the workers that had an accident, or a poor soul that went insane and was unable to find its' way out of the tunnels.

The flashes have definitely piqued my interest though. Oooh drat, now I want a sequel xD

2. This is actually Dave's apartment, and it's just another normal day for him and Mike had no clue and the crazy guy is the drunk man in Dave's apartment stairwell he mentions at the beginning of the episode

Haha I love this idea!

This episode was so nutty it convinced me to join the forums (something I would've done sooner or later, but whatever). Awesome stuff all around; first time machinima has ever unnerved me, and I've seen quite a few attempts.

My theory is that the creeplings at the end ate the dead guy Mike and Dave found earlier; I also like the theory that it's the English guy and something is wearing his skin. I think Mike and Dave's body armor will buy them some time...whether it's enough or not, we'll see...

I definitely thought I heard some actual words in the gibberish at the end. I didn't recognize anything other than "Cthulhu," but some of it sounded like some kind of language.

Let us not discount the possibility that it may be the work of Nyarlathotep, Azathoth, or Yog-Sothoth. Heck, the Combine are pretty Lovecraftian on their own.

I thought it was a great episode and definitely has a lot of points that'll keep me thinking about it, but I have to say it ended in an odd place. It felt like the whole episode was a mystery building up to some sort of realization -not an explanation- or at least something a bit more climactic. When the credits popped up it felt like they were popping up in the middle of a movie, not the end. It was the kind of thing where the structure did a lot of work making me wonder about all the stuff going on, and then it introduced something else completely out of the blue that was also mysterious (this being the Sin: Episodes gib mutants, the Stalker, the fleshbags that Mike and Dave find themselves in, and Dave's sudden insanity) and then it cut off.

If it had an actual ending then I would probably consider it my favorite video on this site. As it stands it feels like kind of a cock tease.

Wonderful episode, I had to watch it twice when I did. I have some pros and cons about it though. Cons was that it felt like the end credits came too early, but then I remember the other CP episodes and how they also end at the climax i.e. Morning Patrol and Halloween Safety, unlike On A Rail where the episode ends with both of them getting knocked off the train which would be safe to say is the last bit of action for that episode. Another con is too many unanswered questions, whereas the other episodes were short and had everything explained sooner or later, this episode leaves out what happened to the guy who lives there, who was banging on the door, who made the howl, what kind of evil lair lurks in the darkness to create so many numbers of those crawly things? The pros however heavily outweigh the cons - wonderful story, animations (except for the feet, but that's in all the episodes so it's acceptable) story depth - it leaves the watcher wanting more. Again, the credits felt like it was too early however that's a good sign since any short film worth its salt always feels like it's too short. Well placed comedy along with thrills and spooks, nicely hidden information that affects the outcome of imagined ending - Dave's suit protected him from getting his bones smashed when he rolled over the car - This could be effectively taken into account that the crawly beasts don't hurt them. Not to mention the music - wow, the perfectly timed peaks and valleys with the music along with the adrenaline techno theme when they first went through the back tunnel - it added to the scene in that it would make the viewer feel like searching the screen and find anything that may impose a threat, keeping them on the edge of their seat even though they were simply empty tunnels until the spark of light and the burned body - you gave the viewer what they wanted to see. This episode is begging for a sequel but due to the limitations on CP production, it's the perfect story to leave open for interpretation.

Ross, as you said this isn't nearly one of your better ideas, I'm just dying to know what is. You may make a terrible manager, but your ideas are worth their weight in gold. If you were to drop CP and FM (I'm not suggesting you do though.) and talk to any large network about a computer animated series and being the writer/director for them, they might just take you up on the offer.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the thing with the car is obviously a reference to the "easter egg" in Morning Patrol.

Can Dave see in the dark? What's up with the aquarius thing? Also what's the purpose of the piercing dude who almost cuts Mike free?

Despite the plethora of unanswered questions I will resist the urge to criticize as others have felt the overwhelming need to do. I guess that's because they want to play siskel and ebert. The way I see it there is nothing to criticize at all. Either you liked it or you didn't. It's kind of like music to me. I'm not a country music fan or an opera nut but I can hear the complexity in it and I can appreciate the talent it took to produce. And I know you're just waiting with bated breath and on the edge of your seat just to read whether I liked it or not. Well I did. It did have some issues but i'm sure they're nothing that Ross doesn't know about so why even go into it. The main issues I had with it are my own. I like stories that tie up loose ends (or most of them). So if I didn't like some part of it because it wasn't suiting my personal preference who am I to complain and I believe that is the case of others who didn't have great things to say about the film. It's their problem. Not the film's. Maybe I'm dense. I don't read lovecraft and horror flicks aren't my cup of tea but I liked 'The Tunnel' just fine. Great Job Ross!

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

Forget about what happened in the end, the dead body, who was driving the car and what happened to the guy. The biggest mystery of them all is the disappearance of:

"I want some crackers."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm hungry!"

WTF man?

I don't know if anyone has noticed this yet. But in the flashes of light, I can see what looks like a few human faces. You have to look very closely. One stood out to me pretty well in the first flash of light but I think there are some more in other flashes. Maybe I'm just trippin' balls, but let me get some images up so you can decide for yourselves'.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Yeah it's a real biatch to pause it in the right place to see it well, but I got a pretty good screen shot of the last flash. You can pretty easily make out two human faces. At least I can, they are kind of static ridden. Look VERY CLOSELY. On the top right you see a face looking to the right slightly. On the bottom left of the flash you see a face that is some what distorted but is probably looking forward. I will try and get some better screen shots.

The first flash had a really clear face in it, but I accidentally unpaused it before I could get a screen shot, then I couldn't get it to pause in the right place again. TRY AND LOOK FOR YOURSELVES'. I've noticed this in all the flashes.

What does this mean. Maybe it's people who have fallen into the tunnel's trap before. A guy on youtube proposed an interesting idea, maybe the flash of light was a tear in time space that hasn't closed since the black mesa incident? But why faces? Is Ross Scott doing this on purpose? Or just fooling around and put faces in the flashes for no apparent reason? ORRRR am I just trippin' majorrrr balllzzzzzzzz? And there be no faces in the flashes, and you guys are face palming and saying COOL STORY BRA!

e104482be6.jpg

I'm trippin' majorrrr balllzzzzzzzz!

Cool story bro.

**Russian** Interesting anecdote comrade

**Irish** Sounds like ye got a wee li'il too much grass in yer cranium lad. Have a beer instead!

Eh, like with pretty much every episode, it was meh. There were a lot of times when it seemed slow or drug-out. Plus Mike just seems like gordon from freemans mind now.

I'll give it a generous 7/10.

Cool story bro.

Hey... Do you go to RMXPUnlimited?

The biggest mystery of them all is the disappearance of:

"I want some crackers."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm hungry!"

WTF man?

I read some (respose/news post) from Ross Scott, where he stated, that many of the scenes from the trailer are changed in the actual episode and some werent even included, like the one you have mentioned.

The funniest moment for me was when the accelerated electronic music came on (I expected some intense action), and they reached a dead end, so they had to go back, with the same action music...

Kind of a subtle joke (maybe not even ment to be a joke), but I loved it all the better.

Eh, like with pretty much every episode, it was meh. There were a lot of times when it seemed slow or drug-out. Plus Mike just seems like gordon from freemans mind now.

I'll give it a generous 7/10.

Cool story bro.

Hey... Do you go to RMXPUnlimited?

Nope... never heard of it.

What easter egg in Morning Patrol?

Watch it from about 1:40 to 1:44.

Oh... Yeah, the car (I'm guessing it's the same as the one on The Tunnel) hits a guy near the corner of the street... you know, you may be on to something, good eye there!

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

CivPro.jpg

Reminds me somethig, however I have the feeling that these pics are not meant to be paused and posted, as the it has it meant to not to show up to cause viewer feel more scared.