That one game you love that everyone else hates

Sign in to follow this  

Dead Space is awesome, no idea what people you've met but me and my friends all agree the games are really cool. Kinda like The Thing in space, which is awesome.

I've never been more pleased to be proven wrong in my assumptions :D You guys are awesome, I knew I could rely on the discerning tastes of Alyxx and company.

While the majority of the Dead Space games is good, I just can't seem to shake the one major event that everyone was saying was the best moment in 2 back when I played it... One of those things coming through the roof of the elevator. I saw it coming before I even got in the elevator the first time, and it was the easiest and fastest kill I ever made in the game, mainly because I was already pointing my gun at the ceiling and trying to guess which corner it was going to rip through. Jumpscares are the mainstay of the franchise, and unfortunately for fans, they've been desensitized to them by their replaying of the games. (hence why they aren't scary anymore)

I'm constantly amazed by people's resilience to jumpscares, they get me almost every time. There's plenty of things in a game I played recently called Layers of Fear that kept me on edge, and that usually involved paintings suddenly appearing behind me or a doll falling from the ceiling. I'm just a timid and nervous gamer who gets a little too emotionally invested in a game... ;p

Saying that, I played Until Dawn a few months ago and the amount of easily anticipated jumpscares in that game went from being nerve rattling to downright comedic in a matter of a few minutes. Honestly, a scene involving a grandfather clock loudly chiming made me leap out of my skin more than all the close-up shots of the screaming monsters faces.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

All of my answers aside from one are relatively obscure, and the last still is because it's Sonic Labyrinth.

Everyone's complaint about it is that you can't go fast, but the mechanic is that you can't run. You're supposed to use your spindash through the entire game, and I love it.

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." ~ Elric, the Technomage

The shoulder camera with the hilariously low field of view made me not play dead space games.

That turned me off too initially, but i kinda got used to it.

+1

Once you get used to it, it's not so bad.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

That's just oldschool RPG mechanics for you, and that's what the Luck stat is for.

Why even include guns in a game when you have to devote 10 levels to just to be able to use them against the lowest level critters?

I will agree with this sentiment that there should be at least some minimal level of competency assumed in any RPG system, regardless of stats.

This problem hit me worst in Morrowind, where it would often take a good couple of minutes just to kill a friggen swamp slug with my sword when you first start out. I mean for goodness sake, a paraplegic toddler would have a better chance at fighting the thing than my character did, which just makes the whole thing feel really silly (and even worse, not fun). I'm not asking for the whole game to become super dumbed down or anything, but the bar shouldn't be that friggen low at the start.

I'm with you on this. Everything else about Morrowind I enjoy. The best (or worst) counter I see for this is things like "git gud", "the game's not holding your hand/baby is crying that the game's not holding his hand" and "This is why Oblivion/Skyrim sucks because it simplified combat"

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Lionheart:Legacy of the Crusader

IMHO Lionheart didn't deserve as much flak as it got upon it's release. I mean yes the RPG aspect gets tossed to the wind mid-late game but it's still a really accessible game in a genre that's as dense as concrete. The streamlining of the usual RPG BS was well done and quite refreshing. The historic fantasy setting is great. 13th century Spain with actual magic, demons and spirits? Sounds awesome. The amount of crazy magic shit that you get to see makes the Spanish Inquisition's paranoia entirely justified. In this setting there are demons and spirits everywhere and the Spanish Inquisition is trying to cleanup the mess caused by the Disjunction. Seriously the Spanish Inquisition and the Knights Templar are the only sane/good factions in this insane world. Also how many games let you meet Leonardo Da Vinci, Galileo, Shakespeare, Machiavelli in the same area?

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

The shoulder camera with the hilariously low field of view made me not play dead space games.

I guess that was to put you in a tense and vulnerable psychological state, Isaac's movements are quite awkward and clumsy too - at least compared to the necromorphs themselves. It really ramped up the "ohgodohgodohgodohgod!" aspect for me, especially during distressingly close-quarter combat.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

One of my main complaints about the series is the lack of being ble to jump, and the totally linear maps.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Heroes of Might and Magic 4:

HoMM 4 is my favorite HoMM title. HoMM 4 so different and versatile compared to the other HoMM games which are good games but feel generic when compared to HoMM 4. HoMM 4 was a risk taker and IMO it paid off. But apparently HoMM fans didn't appreciate the changes for some reason and bashed HoMM 4 for not being HoMM 3.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I liked Dark Souls 2 better compared to the first one, which I anyway consider to be inferior to Demon's Souls. Most people in the Dark Souls community seems to love hating on Dark Souls 2 and will defend the first game as some kind of 10/10 game even though it has plenty of flaws. Dark Souls 2 has less monotone grinding to upgrade your gear, the DLC areas are amazing, I liked the outfits better and I like the idea of the land basically being a cemetery of fallen kingdoms.

I at least didn't seem to have the kneejerk that everyone else had.

Life is funny. Except when it's unfunny.