The Obituaries Thread

Sign in to follow this  

I've got a golden ticket for a trip to his Choco factory :/

I regret to inform that it is now voided.

Rest in peace, Mr.Wilder.

"One small step for man, One giant leap for a midget!"

- Robbaz

This might be of only niche interest to many of you, but back in June Tom Leppard (better known by his moniker the "Leopard Man of Skye") died of natural causes at the age of 80.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36537234

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Sad to have just discovered that the American painter Shirley Jaffe died a few days ago. She began her career and developed in the abstract expressionist zeitgeist of late-forties to fifties in her home country, but during the sixties developed a more colourfully geometric yet rigorously "flattened" style which she later became celebrated for. Looking at her work from that decade now, it's quite evident that she had sidestepped the more thunder-browed and overtly spiritual insistences of other abstract contemporaries. The art critic Holland Cotter perhaps summed-up her talents best by stating that she “makes painting look like fastidiously worked joy.” She died aged 92.

You go to a museum and you hear somebody explaining the painting only in verbal and literary terms. They are never saying, Look, look at what that artist did! It’s deplorable to me. Even when they look at a Goya or a Velazquez, they don’t see the humor that the artist might have had in the way he placed the little dog or the cat. People are not sensitized to what pleasure they can have visually.” - Shirley Jaffe

124882624-08042015-shirley_jaffe_02_bomb_087_zpsmlfhje3w.jpg

Long Black, oil on canvas (1965-66)

jaffe_01_body_zpsqyps1fxd.jpg

Pise, oil on canvas (2003)

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Yet another beloved yet obscure celebrity that I alone probably care about apparently kicked the bucket yesterday. The English actress Jean Alexander, best known for playing Hilda Ogden in Coronation Street but later in life cherished as Auntie Wainwright in the sitcom Last of the Summer Wine, the acquisitive and pushy junk shop owner of the programs village of Holmfirth setting.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

It's not been a good week for numerous heros of mine. Learned this morning that Pete Burns, gender-bending frontman of the band Dead or Alive (who wrote the new wave pop hit You Spin Me Round), died a couple of days ago from a heart attack. I've also gathered that Junko Tabei, Steve Dillon and Mary Sheriff also shuffled their mortal coils over the last ten days of so. The first being a Japanese mountaineer who was the first woman to reach Everest's summit, the second being an English comic illustrator known for his work 2000 AD and Marvel, and the third being an American art historian and feminist writer who wrote one of my favourite books Moved by Love: Inspired Artists and Deviant Women in Eighteenth-Century France.

PGNiXGX2nLU

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

It's not been a good year for numerous heros of everyone.

Much better.

Speaking of which, one I've been meaning to post for a couple of months now, but, I keep on forgetting to do so, until now: Jack Riley, better known as Stu Pickles died in August 19, 2016.

There's also C. Martin Croker, voice of Zorak in Space Ghost Coast to Coast, who died in September 17, 2016.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

“As our eyes grow accustomed to sight they armour themselves against wonder.”Leonard Cohen, The Favourite Game

2016 is turning out to be a giant pile of bollocks.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

XD Aw. RIP Toblerone. Your normal sizing will be missed.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Finally, a memorial image thingy, that doesn't have Harambe, especially as the focus.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Forgive the double post, but I just have to post this:

15095474_1344735788873015_3440420878711180211_n.jpg?oh=4febdf64e04e74281aca4d3fd824aabc&oe=58CD0B6D

This pic alone is an obituary in itself.

An excellent (yet soul-crushingly despairing) surmisation of the utter pile of wank 2016 has been.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa