games you love too much

yeah, im not good at titles (if anyone can suggest better one, be my guest)

Have you had that game you love. Not just love, but want to lose yourself in it. Love it so much you just refuse to play it unless you have enough time to beat it in one sitting or at least uninterrupted?

If so, please share them.

As for me, i have honestly encountered just one game that does it without even trying- Life is Strange.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

terraria, undertale, dark souls, kerbal space program, fallout NV, the list goes on

the name's riley

um, you want to beat NV in one sitting?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

um, you want to beat NV in one sitting?

A man can but dream Meelis! :P

But to get back on topic, if I were asked to pick a game that I have completed in one sitting several times, and breaks my heart every time it's over (my over-dramatization and pathos aide) it would have to be the first two Broken Sword games. Even though I know how to solve every puzzle and progress through the narrative like I was in possession of an eidetic memory, I love the story and characters so much that I simply enjoy the linear process of playing both games. Point n' click masterpieces.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

The Half-Life mod Life's End. I swear, it recaptured the magic I felt when I first played Half-Life perfectly.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

Wolfenstein 3D is my favorite game of all time. I need to play it again soon.

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." ~ Elric, the Technomage

Oh yes, I have have a few. I have an obsession with 007: Agent Under Fire to the point where I even started painstakingly recreating its maps in Source's Hammer Editor. Every time I play this game I discover something new, the attention to detail is just amazing.

Another game I can't get enough of is The Getaway. The story, the setting, the writing, the characters and the music. Oh man, the sweet sweet music.

There are a few more, but these two are my favourites.

Morrowind and Planescape Torment, you can beat either of these games in one sitting provided you know what you're doing ;) . I've considered writing up a speedrunning guide specifically for PS:T because I know it inside and out now that I've beaten it. Almost all of the quests you do are purely optional and I believe it's actually beneficial to do all them at the last minute due to the way PS:T distributes EXP. Since you get different characters at different points of the game odds are that once you find that one particular character you'll be 2-3 levels above that character.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Most notable are Terraria, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne.

All of them I can't beat in one day without skipping the best stuff so i'll never do that. I did it once in Bloodborne just to see how fast I could go and that was it.

Retired Forum Moderator

Duke Nukem Forever

Possibly the coolest strip club ever put in a game, a burger restaurant that sells Duke Nukem action figures, and a western town called Morningwood. And the game never takes itself too seriously. What's not to love?

Fallout 4

I am a huge sucker for post-apocalyptic games. Most people seem to find them depressing and bleak but I honestly find them kind of uplifting. The Fallout games in particular show that despite the constant threat of radiation and all sorts of mutated monsters, people still make a living, people still live their lives. It's kind of hopeful and shows how resilient we are as a species. I love the Fallout games because they are so steeped in American culture and the locations are all so memorable. I just love the entire series really.

Borderlands (all of them pretty much)

The Borderlands games are some of the most addictive games I've ever played. And I never really get tired of them.

Deus Ex (all of them)

Cyberpunk goodness all the way.

Mass Effect

Admittedly it ended on kind of a weak note, but the characters, locations and gameplay in these games are all really enjoyable. Most of all I love the romance and how much focus is put on your relationship with your crewmates, giving you a more personal relationship with them than them just being resources.

Hard Reset

Playing Hard Reset is like going through Blade Runner with a massive gun.

Guild Wars 2

An amazingly beautiful world that's also massive and fun to explore, I can play this game for hours on end.

Far Cry 4

This is a place I'd just like to live and I love playing this game just to explore the world.

Tomb Raider (all of them)

All of the Tomb Raider games are amazing to play for me. Tons of exploration, puzzle solving and action.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Frog Fractions is one of my favourite games of all time, seriously if you haven't played it you have to. And if you don't get it, just keep going. You'll figure out what to do eventually.

World of Warcraft (pre-WotLK)

Star Trek Online

The Elder Scrolls series

Space Pirates And Zombies (and its sequel)

Fallout games from Bethesda (didn't like the earlier ones as much)

Medal of Honor games up to Airborne

Avernum series

Command & Conquer series

Quake 2

Tropico series

There are more...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Age of Empires, number two especially in conjunction with The Conquerors expansion, is a series that will always have a little nook of it's own in the loops of my heart.

"TO ARMS! THE ENGLISH ARE MAKING A SNEAK ATTACK!"

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Age of Empires, number two especially in conjunction with The Conquerors expansion, is a series that will always have a little nook of it's own in the loops of my heart.

"TO ARMS! THE ENGLISH ARE MAKING A SNEAK ATTACK!"

+1

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

...I may have an unhealthy nostalgic love for first Quake.

I'm actually finding that I like Quake 1 more than I like Doom. Quake 1 feels thematically cohesive whereas Doom's theme feels like someone just smashing together the things they like and while there's nothing wrong with that I really do appreciate games with thematic vision.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I'm actually finding that I like Quake 1 more than I like Doom. Quake 1 feels thematically cohesive whereas Doom's theme feels like someone just smashing together the things they like and while there's nothing wrong with that I really do appreciate games with thematic vision.

I agree on "thematically cohesive" part. I like how with each chapter you start out as simply shooting insane marines in an outpost, but after that you progressively descend into darker places and encounter more dangerous and unnerving adversaries. Plus each chapter has their own setting. I find the fourth chapter especially unnerving, to be honest, with its heavy allusion to Lovecraft and whatnot

And recently I installed QuakeSpasm and downloaded the soundtrack. Couldn't ask for a better feeling I've got after launching the game afterwards

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

All of the Tomb Raider games are amazing to play for me. Tons of exploration, puzzle solving and action.

I'll always love the old Tomb Raider games specifically the first one and up to Tomb Raider Chronicles even if the controls are rather ropey by game standards now. The PS1 was my first introduction to gaming and Tomb Raider was my first experience playing a game for myself, and not simply watching my older sisters play them with their friends on the old Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis. I loved the mysterious historical locations, the realistic enemies (at least they were at the time, it blew my mind back then) and the fact the main character was a girl (unheard of back in the 90s!) combined together into a rather satisfying brew in my brain. The legless Atlantean boss you fight in the first game was probably the scariest thing I'd ever seen up until that point, I had nightmares about it for weeks. Ever since that experience I have an unhelpful habit of measuring all games successes by taking how much I shit my knickers into my rating.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I'll always love the old Tomb Raider games specifically the first one and up to Tomb Raider Chronicles even if the controls are rather ropey by game standards now. The PS1 was my first introduction to gaming and Tomb Raider was my first experience playing a game for myself, and not simply watching my older sisters play them with their friends on the old Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis. I loved the mysterious historical locations, the realistic enemies (at least they were at the time, it blew my mind back then) and the fact the main character was a girl (unheard of back in the 90s!) combined together into a rather satisfying brew in my brain. The legless Atlantean boss you fight in the first game was probably the scariest thing I'd ever seen up until that point, I had nightmares about it for weeks. Ever since that experience I have an unhelpful habit of measuring all games successes by taking how much I shit my knickers into my rating.

Yeah the early games are still rather awesome to play and still my favourites of the franchise. While I sort of agree the controls haven't aged well, I think that they worked well within the game engine since it was entirely grid-based, making it very easy to calculate precise movement an where you'd end up in the 3D space, so once you get the "feel" for them, the games honestly become a breeze to play (given you know the layout of the levels and the secrets).

My absolute fav would probably be Tomb Raider II which was the first one I put serious time into and the one that I feel had the coolest locations. I have completed the first one as well.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Final Fantasy 9.

Almost everything about the game is just amazing. The only thing I don't like about the game is the card battle/minigame (wayyyy to RNG dependent Even the RNG has RNG...) and the monsters. Well, it's more of a 50/50 thing with the monsters, they're great and all that, and a cool thing about this one (and some of the other FF games) is that the monsters are a part of the story/lore. As cool as that is, at the same time, I don't want to go outside with a weapon. It's not safe. The item drops/gil/exp/ap is still part of the gameplay mechanics though, even though people like to think otherwise.

latest?cb=20131101172901

Cute lil fellow, aint he? Not his brother:

latest?cb=20120820192442

He will kick your ass to Pluto and back, when Earth and Pluto are as far apart as possible, 100 times before you can do anything.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA