Video Game Pet Peeves

Timing puzzles in logic puzzle games.

You know what's fun? Figuring out I need to place the mirror to reflect the lazor at 45 degrees then open up the door with the cube. You know what's not fun? Figuring out how long I need to delay the death ball of death, and figuring out when to stop delaying those death balls of death so I can escape the very easily solved logic puzzle.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Unfairness.

What i mean by that isnt AI given advantage in cash/resources or stuff like that, what i DO mean is situation where AI breaks game itself to give itself unfair advantage. Its felt in games where you rely on bots as well. Good example is FIFA (at least at world class level). I mean i love the game, but it drives me crazy at times. Lets take my last match for example- opponents got their winning goal how? simply cross in towards goal and instead of catching it like any normal goalie would've, my goalie just stood there, letting ball bounce off him into goal. Before that 2 my central defenders were booked simply for taking ball off opponent (im not even joking- clean takeaway & both players stayed up), while opponents managed to injure another 2 of my players with straight red tackles (fyi, they got away with yellow & no warning). Oh and final score was 2-1. Funny thing is: opponents only got 1,5 chances (one i already described, other was more normal), while my team got 10+ chances but always, defender blocked (or my player shot at defender) and goalie pulled off saves that would give him goalie of century award in real world.

Im all for challenges, but unfairness like that?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Here's a small thing I notice constantly which annoys me for some reason: Scope zoom which zooms in the entire screen, not just the area in the scope. Even the Sniper Elite games do that!

Some of them do that thing where it blacks-out and shows the area of sight within the scope, and it often does the same thing you've described whilst peering through iron-sights. I don't really have a preference one way or the other. Do you think it makes aiming easier?

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Whenever mods are used essentially as someone's AU fanfiction. It's annoying and kills the game for me because the whole time I'm thinking "Hang on, Gordon Freeman isn't secretly an SAS officer named Richard!".

And when games are set in mediaeval times. I don't like the Dark Ages, there aren't any more interesting stories you can set there. The 1300s are creatively tapped out.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

Here's a small thing I notice constantly which annoys me for some reason: Scope zoom which zooms in the entire screen, not just the area in the scope. Even the Sniper Elite games do that!

Some of them do that thing where it blacks-out and shows the area of sight within the scope, and it often does the same thing you've described whilst peering through iron-sights. I don't really have a preference one way or the other. Do you think it makes aiming easier?

It would definitely look cooler and more realistic. It might even be helpful too, since you can see a lot more.

Boy do I have a lot of them.

1. Buggy hitboxes or timing. I dodge on time and still get hit? Nope.

2. Limited inventory space. Looking at you Diablo 2.

3. Death being something you can just shrug off, even expected. Lazy game design to make game "difficult" that throw you in an impossible situation. Also as to do with fairness of difficulty.

4. Consolitism. Such as: Camera smoothing, shoulder camera, FPS lock, no strafing, target lock, things being aimed in the direction of the character instead of the camera, crappy menus.

5. All the lazy game design from MMOs that passes as "content". Dailies, login rewards, kill/gather X quests, errand boy quests.

6. Pay to win.

7. PvP forced down my throat. It can never be balanced enough, it will hurt PvE, it will not compete with PvP only games.

8. Spam mechanics, especially random spam where you can just randomly get screwed and die. Looking at you Path of Exile. I know why they do this, they don't want you to just have a strategy that trivialize a boss. They want them to be always "hard" and scary.

Status ailments or effects that don't really announce themselves too dramatically. As much as I absolutely want to bum Skyrim for the rest of my natural life, I sometimes fail to notice that I've contracted diseases during very intense fights or encounters that haven't gone quite to plan. I arrived in Ivarstead after finishing a quest involving Treva's Watch only to find those Miraak cultists and some random Redguard who wanted to challenge me. Whilst I was busy trying not to die in a spell/melee fight as the weedly little stealth-build character that I am, out of seemingly nowhere I was attacked by a pair of vampires and a bunch of their death hounds. Nearly two hours later whilst fannying about in some dungeon, my vision went red and the game informed me that the sun had risen and I was feeling weakened. I didn't even know I'd contracted vampirism.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Status ailments or effects that don't really announce themselves too dramatically. As much as I absolutely want to bum Skyrim for the rest of my natural life, I sometimes fail to notice that I've contracted diseases during very intense fights or encounters that haven't gone quite to plan. I arrived in Ivarstead after finishing a quest involving Treva's Watch only to find those Miraak cultists and some random Redguard who wanted to challenge me. Whilst I was busy trying not to die in a spell/melee fight as the weedly little stealth-build character that I am, out of seemingly nowhere I was attacked by a pair of vampires and a bunch of their death hounds. Nearly two hours later whilst fannying about in some dungeon, my vision went red and the game informed me that the sun had risen and I was feeling weakened. I didn't even know I'd contracted vampirism.

Reminds me of this lil tidbit from Tumblr:

549117b4de5e2e877fece13f006b4cf3.jpg

OT: Status Effects that do nothing/pretty much pointless. An example of a status effect done right: Final Fantasy 10. Poision. Every time you take an action, some damage is dealt to you (vice versa if the enemy is poisoned) and the damage dealt increases each time.

^ "I used to be an adventurer like you, and then I accidently became a vampire..."

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Things that take you away from the gameplay for any length of time that are not cutscenes. This is especially annoying when you die and have to wait for maybe upwards to a minute while they show you this "cool death animation" you've already seen 50 times, a loading screen that takes forever, and then finally you get back into the game and you can continue what you were doing.

This is a corollary to unskippable cutscenes. Sometimes I just want to play a game!

As the trope calls it: Heads I Win, Tails You Lose.

In other words: You're fighting a boss, you lose, you get a game over. However, you have to win to continue the game, only for said boss to kick your ass in a cutscene.