Video Game Pet Peeves

* limited inventory space

Look, just let me carry as much stuff as I want. I don't care how realistic it is. Newsflash, realism isn't very fun and in most cases it's just straight up annoying as hell. The only time limited inventory Space was interesting and made sense was in Deus Ex GOTY. In Deus Ex GOTY you had to constantly think about what your approach to the game was and that design philosophy extended all the way to inventory. Well guess what, you don't do that when all your carrying is 20 radscorpion tails that you're going to haul all the way back to town in order to sell them like you do in most RPGs. Every item in Deus Ex GOTY had reason to be carried, Beaver tails do not.

fully agreed on that. Or at least set weight limit to high as heck.

In RPG-s thats also my only thing im going to hack (well, ok, sometimes godmode for extra annoying enemies, but when i use it that enemy has probably killed me 20 times anyways). At least in skyrim its nice no-brainer: player.setav carryweight 100000000

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Games with multiple playable characters that feel/act the same. I would go into greater detail on a specific game, but I would be spoiling it, even though everyone and their mother has already. And I can't be vague about it, because apparently that's just as bad or even worse. Because solving a puzzle is just as horrific as being told the answer. So instead, I'll bring up a game that does it right:

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. First, Terra, Ven, and Aqua all are easily distinguishable from a mile away. Then there's their fighting styles. Terra is more of a physical, more power, strength is key, kind of fighter and it matches his personality. Aqua is a badass magic user of light, and again, matches her personality. Ven's balanced, and again matches personality.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Look, just let me carry as much stuff as I want. I don't care how realistic it is. Newsflash, realism isn't very fun and in most cases it's just straight up annoying as hell. The only time limited inventory Space was interesting and made sense was in Deus Ex GOTY. In Deus Ex GOTY you had to constantly think about what your approach to the game was and that design philosophy extended all the way to inventory. Well guess what, you don't do that when all your carrying is 20 radscorpion tails that you're going to haul all the way back to town in order to sell them like you do in most RPGs. Every item in Deus Ex GOTY had reason to be carried, Beaver tails do not.

My problem with limited carry space in Fallout is that they don't go all the way and give everything a weight value instead they just leave some items weightless.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

My problem with limited carry space in Fallout is that they don't go all the way and give everything a weight value instead they just leave some items weightless.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was bullshit too, like how does Nuka Cola and beer weigh nothing?

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was bullshit too, like how does Nuka Cola and beer weigh nothing?

and lets not also forget 1 000 000 rounds of ammo. and 100 rockets. 100 missles. few mini nukes.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Oh yeah, here is a pet peeve I got while playing Thumper: No shortcut replays. Meaning that if you dun goofed on a certain part of the level, and you're aiming for the best score or you're looking for one particular item - you'll have to redo it ALL over again, or even worse - try to find a save before your screw-up and hope it's still there. The bane of all those who like to save over their previous files.

Here is how it goes in Thumper: you can't redo the previous stage as soon as you got a rank on it. Imagine you were playing to get a perfect rank, and then BAM - you missed the last note. And you can't go back to the previous stage to redo this, so now you have to restart the ENTIRE level, and do it ALL OVER AGAIN. And there are more than 20 stages on most of the levels! AND they are usually long!

Thankfully the developers said that they've noticed this, and are working on dealing with it. I hope they'll fix it as soon as possible.

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

I'm with you here, limited inventory space isn't fun to me, and despite actually being a fan of the much slated No Man's Sky the games resource gathering/divvying up was the most frustrating thing about it. I could live with a carrying capacity if realism was an individual games forte, if it really did insist of only allowing you to only carry what a healthy member of your characters given species could. But it never is actually rendered in a realistic way, it's always just an arbitrarily assigned number based, items with their own equally arbitrary numbers, based on your characters unrealistically abstract stats - and I'm a DnD player, I love stats! ;3 I also want to emphasize that it isn't the lack of realism that bothers me about it (I'm most likely playing a game about shooting dragons made of balls and lava out of the sky with a crossbow that fires yodelling hammers, how much do you think I care?!) it's the sheer needlessness of adding yet another disruptive chore to a game that I otherwise enjoy.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

it's the sheer needlessness of adding yet another disruptive chore to a game that I otherwise enjoy.

That is exactly how I feel towards Fallout 1 & 2. For every positive aspect I could've gotten out of them it was taken away by some archaic game mechanic and there is no way to avoid them. You will have to engage in combat or use a skill at some point and they will always be randomly prolonged for no reason no matter how many points you dump into the appropriate skill. The pacing of those games is such an utterly slow, pointless grind. If I'm to try and play them again I going to play with one of those modified cheat characters so I don't have to put up with this and it's so frustrating that I have to do that in order to make these games even remotely playable for me.

This is a specific annoyance to a game. I'm sure other games have something similar, I'm just drawing a blank. In Digimon Cyber Sleuth, every Digivolution has some amount of requirements. Like Be at Level 30, have ATK be at 120, DEF at 80 and SPD 90. These make sense. CAM (friendship meter) at 100% makes sense for DNAdigivolution, otherwise it feels pointless. ABI is completely pointless. Digivolving/Dedigivolving increases the Digimon's ABI. It's only purpose in life is to be another hoop that you have to jump through to Digivolve to a specific Digimon. At least CAM makes some amount of sense, when it comes to DNAdigivolving.

What is my pet peeve is when game literally forces you to do a move that is pain in the backside to do properly. And not just once, oh no, several times. And quite often that specific move feels so out of touch with rest of the game, but i guess it depends on playstyle

What is my pet peeve is when game literally forces you to do a move that is pain in the backside to do properly. And not just once, oh no, several times. And quite often that specific move feels so out of touch with rest of the game, but i guess it depends on playstyle

E.G.

W_cMHXyygUI

Thankfully it's only required to kill darknuts, but this attack is so convoluted it's completely impractical at any other stage of the game

the name's riley

Tutorials late in game. Arkham City has a "how to properly glide" tutorial around 2/3 through the game. There's also Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, not only does it have a late game tutorial with the blowdart, but two thirds of the game feels like nothing but tutorials.

Pointless tutorials. I'll let Gordon Freeman explain this: "To wipe your ass, first orient your hand behind yourself, then move it forward...or backward"

Crappy Hitboxes: I noticed this in Far Cry 2 recently, but also in a lot of other games. Sometimes the hitboxes of certain objects are completely unreasonably large. Imagine you sneak around with a sniper rifle, take cover behind a tree, wait forever to line up that perfect headshot, but when you pull the trigger, you hit the air in front of you and everyone gets alerted to your position.

Crappy Hitboxes: I noticed this in Far Cry 2 recently, but also in a lot of other games. Sometimes the hitboxes of certain objects are completely unreasonably large. Imagine you sneak around with a sniper rifle, take cover behind a tree, wait forever to line up that perfect headshot, but when you pull the trigger, you hit the air in front of you and everyone gets alerted to your position.

Collision meshes on in-game objects are the absolute bane of all stealthy playthroughs, or even just games that involve avoiding enemy gunfire. I always remember the bleedin' amount of invisible walls and obstacles in Fallout: New Vegas, especially when playing on higher difficulties and getting shot was often detrimentally serious for your character. Trying to take cover and taking careful pot shots at enemies would often result in you shooting point blank the unseen border around boulders and between slats in fences, wasting your ammo, and naturally the enemies bullets seem to find their target through the magical force fields just fine.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

People bashing different game styles. Also some of the terms are just horrible, just look at 'save scumming'. Honestly, it's not that bad. Hell, sometimes it's the only way to get super rare items. But thanks to the Rougelike community, you're an asshole and a shitty gamer if, let's say, you experiment with something (like I tend to do), it goes poorly, and you reload.

People bashing different game styles. Also some of the terms are just horrible, just look at 'save scumming'. Honestly, it's not that bad. Hell, sometimes it's the only way to get super rare items. But thanks to the Rougelike community, you're an asshole and a shitty gamer if, let's say, you experiment with something (like I tend to do), it goes poorly, and you reload.

They don't know TAS

Personally, I only use "save-reload" situationally, but I try not to whenever I can play the game without relying on it. Unless there is a part of the game that is just plain unfair, or, like you said, I need to experiment with or calculate something

Speaking of Roguelike: a bad part of Binding of Isaac community comes to mind, when they're all "WAT Y U NO USE MOMS NAIF U N00B" or "u sux y u no take brimstone", etc. Just in case: Mom's Knife and Brimstone are two in-game items that make Binding of Isaac basically a cakewalk

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

But there's a line between that and being so obsessive you save over 1250 times. I'm not even joking, I did that once without even thinking about it and those save files ate up a quarter of my HDD space. It was a hell of a mess to clean up too. Knowing from my own experience I can't be trusted with manual and quick save because I will abuse the living fuck out of them if I'm not careful.

They also allow you to beat the game via pure attrition which makes the game much less fun. I know a lot of games do that but they should never feel the need to force the player to do that. I blame boss designers instead of the methods you're allowed to use in order to save. Boss fights should be doable without the need to damage the boss, save and repeat ad nauseum. That's designers not taking average human capacity into account.

I personally prefer auto saves and check points. They can't be abused like manual and quick saves can.

Speaking of Roguelike: a bad part of Binding of Isaac community comes to mind, when they're all "WAT Y U NO USE MOMS NAIF U N00B" or "u sux y u no take brimstone", etc. Just in case: Mom's Knife and Brimstone are two in-game items that make Binding of Isaac basically a cakewalk

That reminded me of another pet peeve: You're playing a game for the first time, and you're streaming it. If you don't go for a specific upgrade, item, kill an enemy without having it transform to a different, rare enemy, etc. Then you'll get people bashing you for "playing the game wrong".

I agree with you. Experience has taught me that anyone who likes to differentiate themselves as "real" gamers, are suffering from a self-inflicted sense of displaced frustration. Compensating for perceived (though repressed) failings is an issue that goes beyond self-professed "real gamers". People will find almost anything to flaunt as evidence for their own unwarranted sense of superiority over others that lack their interests or lifestyle choices.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

unfair matchmaking. This is serious pet peeve in competitive games, such as Rocket League (that is extremely bad at this). Its so damn annoying to work up ranks only to be slammed into face by several teammates in a row who cant even hit the ball. And yes, RL does that a lot- you work your way up, then get teamed with people who are more of trouble than use & clearly not good enough to be on the level vs opponents from class higher, essentially creating 1vsx situation. You can do whatever you want, play the games of your life, but if opponents are on your level, you will only win trough sheer luck in those situations (meaning very rarely)