Mechanics in games that should just die.

I wish age advancement (like Spore and Age of Empires) in strategy games was not just a checklist of resources, researched tech and abilities, time passing, etc and more a complex thing that let you tailor and gradually change your civilization to a more unique thing, rather than just shunting it into the next preset era. Maybe I should play more recent strategy games.

I wish age advancement (like Spore and Age of Empires) in strategy games was not just a checklist of resources, researched tech and abilities, time passing, etc and more a complex thing that let you tailor and gradually change your civilization to a more unique thing, rather than just shunting it into the next preset era. Maybe I should play more recent strategy games.

Give Age of Mythology a try.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I don't think NG+ needs to die, but game companies need to figure out just what it means and what shit should carry over, and most importantly they need to ask and then answer "Why should one do a NG+?". In my opinion only one game has done NG+ Perfectly: Chrono Trigger. The game offers 13 (DS version has one extra) different endings (there's also a unique one if you fail to defeat the final boss). Some of these are only accessible and/or highly recommended on a NG+ run. For example you can fight the final boss at the very beginning of the game only in NG+ for a 1v1 or even as a 2v1 seeing as you get your first party member at the start of the game. Most things carry over, levels, items, equipment, weapons, etc. The only thing(s) that don't are key items, which includes story based items/weapons. The enemies/bosses are the same, so yes you'll wipe the floor as op gods, but at least you can focus on getting all the different endings.

See to me, NG+ should have something, like a super boss that doesn't feel like that it could have been beaten on the first playthrough, an extra dungeon or 20, unique endings, something worthwhile that's NG+ exclusive. Now let's look at a game that, IMO, does it bad: Borderlands 2

So, your weapons, items, levels, etc carry over, off to a great start. However, the enemies/bosses are harder, and match your levels. What. You've got to be shitting me. I might as well just do a regular new game. What's my incentive to do NG+? An optional boss where recommended/max level is 50? Why not have him be an optional boss at the end of the first playthrough, and have the recommended level be at 30? You know the level you're going to be around when you beat the game the first time? Really, the only incentive is to get to max level, that's basically it. The optional boss is fine, just give us something to care about. Give us an incentive.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I don't think NG+ needs to die, but game companies need to figure out just what it means and what shit should carry over, and most importantly they need to ask and then answer "Why should one do a NG+?". In my opinion only one game has done NG+ Perfectly: Chrono Trigger. The game offers 13 (DS version has one extra) different endings (there's also a unique one if you fail to defeat the final boss). Some of these are only accessible and/or highly recommended on a NG+ run. For example you can fight the final boss at the very beginning of the game only in NG+ for a 1v1 or even as a 2v1 seeing as you get your first party member at the start of the game. Most things carry over, levels, items, equipment, weapons, etc. The only thing(s) that don't are key items, which includes story based items/weapons. The enemies/bosses are the same, so yes you'll wipe the floor as op gods, but at least you can focus on getting all the different endings.

Hyperdimension Neptunia does this is exactly as well. If you're into turn based JRPGs with visual novel like character interactions then I recommend it.

Personally I am getting tired of microtransactions in full price games. Like, if I've paid for the game and season pass, I shouldn't have to shell out even more cash for stuff...

Agreed. "Fee to pay" is a stupid concept. It is somewhat defendable if it's in a 20$ game, but not if I paid premium price.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally I am getting tired of microtransactions in full price games. Like, if I've paid for the game and season pass, I shouldn't have to shell out even more cash for stuff...

Agreed. "Fee to pay" is a stupid concept. It is somewhat defendable if it's in a 20$ game, but not I paid premium price.

+1

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

NG+ is awesome. Disagree entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy NG+, I just wish companies would be more consistent with what happens in NG+.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

NG+ is awesome. Disagree entirely.

The main reason I don't buy RPGs on day one, the other being that they usually glitch filled and buggy as fuck.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan