ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: SPIDERBOT

Sign in to follow this  

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

More Game Dungeon! Once again, this one is running late, though I'm relatively happy with how it came out. This one is on the short side comparatively, but I never really intended for every episode to be a marathon session the way some of them have. Next up is the Deus Ex trilogy, while it still remains one, which isn't for long. I've also fallen behind on Dead Games News, but will see about having another episode out at some point. Also, as a reminder, the next videochat is at twitch.tv/rossbroadcast on August 7th at 4pm EST. You can submit topics you'd like me to discuss here.

PREMIERE PUZZLER:

EDIT:

Problem solved, thanks to "Xrott" the issue was Premiere was using a 0.5 pixel axis origin. So not exactly a bug so much as something I wouldn't consider great default behavior. I feel kind of dumb about this, but glad it was solved. Here's the rest of the original post below:

- - -

I actually ran into a very notable bug in Adobe Premiere when trying to make this episode, it was on such a fundamental level, I was a little shocked it exists, it reminds me of the sorts of problems I would run into on the Source engine. I was trying to import an image file with fine pixel details and Premiere WOULD NOT output this image correctly. I doublechecked every setting I could think of, but it came out wrong every single time. This happened on both Premiere CS5 and CS6. I had to use an elaborate workaround to fix this issue. It makes me wonder if this has affected some of my past videos also. For those interested, here's the problem:

When importing an image with fine pixel details, it should appear like this:

net_original.png

Instead, Premiere would always display it like this (not just in the preview, but also in lossless RGB video output also):

net_premiere.png

Keep in mind the above pictures have been zoomed in for visibility, there was no additional scaling applied inside Premiere itself.

I honestly have no idea why this is happening. If anyone can confirm a solution, let me know. Here is the original image available for download if you want to experiment. My guess is this is strictly a problem with Premiere and other video editors don't have this problem, but it definitely surprised me for such a well known piece of software and for such a fundamental function.

COMMENTS

This looks suspiciously like anti-aliasing.

Either the image is offset by like 0.5 pixels or there is a edge-smoothing function enabled.

Try adding a offset of 0.5 yourself and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: actually it looks like it's only offset on the y-axis

Wow, I feel dumb. That absolutely fixed the problem. I would say that maybe the program having a default setting to use non-whole pixel numbers for its axis isn't a great move, but you did indeed fix it, thanks.

Hi Ross, you mentioned in the Bozo episode of Game Dungeon that one of your friends got so drunk on St. Paddy's day that he thought the Russians killed his wife. Do you have any experiences of your own that are similar to your friends? Also, what TV/Movies did you watch while you were a child, and if you can remember, what was one of your favorite toys when you weren't gaming?

Sincerely, Joe

"I actually credit this game as the reason why I don't do drugs..." icon_lol.gif

I starting to garner a whole new facet of appreciation for you Ross, which I certainly had no shortage of before. Whilst I accept your claim to having little interest or obsessive fascination in the idea of aliens, I must say (as someone who regards himself as an avidly amateur exobiology enthusiast) I'm pleasantly surprised by your thoughtful reflections on the likely nature of alien life. You seem to grasp how ill prepared humanity is for contact with alien beings. I also reckon that if and when we ever come across extraterrestrials (whether as visitors to another world or as recipients of visitors from elsewhere) we would be forced to reconceive all our cherished notions about biology, taxonomic classification, and even our cherished notions about culture, morality and sapiency.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Spiderbot!

"Awards... Godfist"

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

All hail the great Spiderbot, May his spider and bot-like qualities enlighten us all.

Anyone want to join my cult of the Spiderbot?

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I always figured whenever we would first encountered alien life it would be awkward and disapointing for everyone involved. Then we would teach the alien life to drink and use social media to entierly destroy their culture.

Life is funny. Except when it's unfunny.

...Problem solved, thanks to "Xrott" the issue was Premiere was using a 0.5 pixel axis origin. So not exactly a bug so much as something I wouldn't consider great default behavior. I feel kind of dumb about this, but glad it was solved...

Ross, I was noticing the image you posted had an even number of pixels in width (48 pixels), but an odd number of pixels in height (19 pixels). If you add an extra row of pixels to get the image height to 20 pixels, does the problem go away without needing to manually adjust the offset? I suspect that with the odd number of pixels in the height, the center of the image lands at the center point of a row of pixels, giving you that half-pixel offset.

I always figured whenever we would first encountered alien life it would be awkward and disapointing for everyone involved. Then we would teach the alien life to drink and use social media to entierly destroy their culture.

Best summation of MACROSS ever.

All hail the great Spiderbot, May his spider and bot-like qualities enlighten us all.

Anyone want to join my cult of the Spiderbot?

Looks like we have the main antagonists for the next Stargate series. Wraith and Goa'uld ain't got shit on Spiderbot and his techno-jungle filled with alien monsters, nor Spiderbots fanatical (and probably mutated) human followers. Ross Scott could guest star as Spiderbot Pope, maybe.

I like the idea that if a highly advanced race arrived and forcibly colonized our planet, our greatest weapon wouldn't be our humanity or resilience in the face of adversity, but it would simply be our magnificent capacity for idiocy. We might not be prepared for the consequences of alien contact but I also suspect that they aren't even remotely prepared for the collective mental illness that is the oft-cited human condition.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

@Selfsurprise

Yes, I like to imagine that it would be like a reversed H.P. Lovecraft story where the aliens are appalled and driven insane by our very nature.

Life is funny. Except when it's unfunny.

@Selfsurprise

Yes, I like to imagine that it would be like a reversed H.P. Lovecraft story where the aliens are appalled and driven insane by our very nature.

icon_lol.gif They came, they saw, they closed the landing gear of the UFO, flew away and never spoke of or acknowledged the human race ever again.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

They came, they saw, they closed the landing gear of the UFO, flew away and never spoke of or acknowledged the human race ever again.

Wait! Come back Alien Overlords! We didn't even get to show you one of our greatest works of art... Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear!

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

They came, they saw, they closed the landing gear of the UFO, flew away and never spoke of or acknowledged the human race ever again.

Wait! Come back Alien Overlords! We didn't even get to show you one of our greatest works of art... Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear!

"You haven't even seen Weekend at Bernies yet!"