Was No Man's SKy doomed to fail?

Sign in to follow this  

It may have been relatively complete when they showed it, but in implementing the other systems necessary for the game to function as a game instead of a demo, it may have broken something in that content that couldn't be easily fixed... Hence, cut content.

We don't know, so don't be hostile until we find out for sure.

The problem is how much content was cut, there's no way they cut that much content because it was buggy or not working properly, what they gave us was half-baked at best and it was falsely advertised.

From the looks of things, only five things were cut. Now with games like Bioshock Infinite, Half-Life 2 (especially this), Kingdom Hearts, and of course Aliens: Colonial Marines, there's more cut content. In some cases, a lot more. I'm sure you're well aware about the cut content in Half-Life 2 and Aliens; Colonial Marines. However, here's a list of cut content in Bioshock Infinite and the entire Kingdom Hearts series.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

In addition, it is blatantly obvious that they weren't really finished building the game, but they had so much hype going for it that they couldn't afford to miss releasing on the deadline.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

With that much hype? Yes. No game is ever going to live up to the amount of inflated expectations that NMS got.

Though hype via marketing aside, the devs were also caught basically lying about some game features that they said would exist in the game in interviews, when they never got implemented into final release. If you get caught doing that, you're basically fucked.

I'm personally more curious as to how games like Star Citizen will develop in light of this. That one's promises are similarly big, but they have the luxury of being relatively open about their development and have an open Alpha.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

I can't seem to find that 'open alpha' you were speaking of... They're charging at least $45 just to download on their site.

I can't seem to find that 'open alpha' you were speaking of... They're charging at least $45 just to download on their site.

Open as in open to the public, not necessarily free.

Open means there are no restrictions at all... Closed means there is something restricting access. If there is a required payment, then it isn't an open Alpha, but a closed Alpha.

Open means there are no restrictions at all... Closed means there is something restricting access. If there is a required payment, then it isn't an open Alpha, but a closed Alpha.

Then I got my terms wrong, whatever. The point is you can play the early versions of the game before release and actually provide feedback. You couldn't do that for NMS.

Vae Victus-Brennus

Then I got my terms wrong, whatever. The point is you can play the early versions of the game before release and actually provide feedback. You couldn't do that for NMS.

No, you're right, BTG is wrong, a simple Google search will prove that.

Ah k, either way.

Vae Victus-Brennus

Would you mind providing that link? I've been doing open and closed alphas and betas for close to 10 years, so my information comes from experience.

Would you mind providing that link? I've been doing open and closed alphas and betas for close to 10 years, so my information comes from experience.

Here you go

Here's what that link took me to, and it says exactly what I just got done saying...

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/beta.htm

Either you need a little better reading comprehension, or you're not capable of understanding.

PS: LMGTFY is a total dick move when someone asks for specific links to support your position. (and it apparently backfires for you)

The Beta isn't open to the public, it's only for paying customers. That's like saying that the Tribble server in Star Trek Online is an Open Beta, even though you have to be a subscriber to access it.

Open = Free for anyone, at most a registration process to access it.

Closed = Any paywall, limited numbers, or category restrictions on public access to the software.

Tribble is the name of Star Trek Online's public testing shard (server).

Keyword being public. It's open to everyone.

Minecraft was open alpha and beta.

Every. Single. Game. In. Early. Access. Is. Open. To. The. Public.

Unreal Tournament is open alpha

If these were closed, you would need special permission.

Where's your source that says open beta has to be free?

My source doesn't say closed beta means you have to pay.

I'm glad that I somewhat overlooked this game as news about it trickled out of the media outlets, I was probably too distracted by the immanent arrival of Fallout 4 is something. It's a game that, on paper at least, sounds like a dream-come-true for a titanic exobiology nerd like me. Having only recently been made aware of the stellar (herp derp) heights this game's expectation soared to, it has rather cooled my initial excitement. I was also put off from considering a purchase of the game due to reports of it's hideous fanbase - I'm always afraid of being associated with hateful internet subcultures. Yet you can still colour me intrigued by it's premise. The unfavorable comparisons to Minecraft do little to diminish my enthusiasm for wanting to play the title, because in all honesty I have very little experience with those types resource/building games that popular consensus has a conceptual boner right now. I feel I can probably wait a little while and see if second-hand copies of the game go down in price.

Always be wary of overhyped or "controversial" games, because a lot of them are marketing stunts.

This quote is very prescient of the current capitalist zeitgeist. A lot of people might have their own strange vested interests in exaggerating the implied agenda of Hello Games, the whole "did they/didn't they" aspect of the controversy, but 2016 has been a year of deeply suspect moves on the gaming industries part. Whilst I'm dubious of the conspiratorial readings of No Man's Sky's reception and hype, it seems fairly evident through the interviews of the Director Sean Murray and other journalism that allowed an incredulous public imagination wander, there was a certain level of "chancing" and coyness from the developers.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Just leave BTG to his ignorance, he's incredibly stubborn and it'd take a miracle and a half from Odin himself to get him to admit he's wrong.

the name's riley

Tribble is the name of Star Trek Online's public testing shard (server).

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Tribble_(server)

I take it this is where you're getting your information? It is 3 years out of date. Apart from special events preceding the release of an expansion, it is accessible only by those with a lifetime or gold subscription.

Keyword being public. It's open to everyone.

If it's behind a paywall, it's not open to everyone.

Minecraft was open alpha and beta.

They weren't 'open', and they weren't listed as such. (nor are they currently)

Every. Single. Game. In. Early. Access. Is. Open. To. The. Public.

Not ones that you have to pay for.

Unreal Tournament is open alpha

And it's free.

If these were closed, you would need special permission.

Like "you can't access this unless you pay for it", that kind of permission?

Where's your source that says open beta has to be free?

I linked you to one of them... You just don't understand the concept that a paywall is a restriction.

My source doesn't say closed beta means you have to pay.

Nor does mine. It just says that there is a restriction between the users and the game that is artificially implemented. (i.e. a paywall)

BTW, you still haven't linked your 'source', merely a LMGTFY.

You know what? Fuck it, I've explained myself over and over, and you're still not getting it. Besides, we're way way way off topic.