Movie recommendations

Sign in to follow this  

I love movies. You love movies. We all love movies. So, let's spread the love around. Doesn't matter if they're guilty pleasures, animated, based off a book, whatever. If you enjoy the movie, and feel others (here) will too, post them below. Also, post a synopsis/hook about the movie. I'll start:

The Lookout - Promising high school student gets his life turned upside down during a tragic accident. He lands a job as a janitor, in a bank where he finds himself caught up in a planned heist.

Batman The Phantasm Mask - 90's Batman (same team and everything) in the same style as the show, considered one of the best (if not the best) Batman movie.

The Big Lebowski - "The Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire Lebowski, seeks restitution for his ruined rug and enlists his bowling buddies to help get it. (Actual synopsis from IMDB)

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I work at a movie theater, so I often end up seeing a lot of newer movies unintentionally as I'm never that up to date on current movies as I just don't have the time. As a employee we can get midnight showings of movies that aren't out yet for free so that's pretty sweet. Ill run through a couple of them....

Secret life of pets- Good movie. Doesn't really go as "deep" as you'd think it would about pets and what nought.

Kubo- Really REALLY good. I can see that more couldve been done with the ending, which was lacking a bit, but was otherwise a great experience.

Sausage Party- .........I mean.....okay I'll be quoting my friend on this. "It was a bad movie...but im so fucking happy I saw it.....once. If i saw it again i wont enjoy it as much."

Damn right I love movies! And I have a few recommendations too.

Hard Boiled - John Woo's last Hong Kong Action movie, and one of my all time favorites. If you like action, this is your movie. Lots of guns and explosions, but also a good story, so it's not just brainless.

Taxi Driver - Classic noir story of a lone taxi driver's descent into madness. Will he become a terrorist or a vigilante? Can he ever find love? Will the streets ever be clean? Are you talkin' to me? Then who else are you talkin' to, huh?

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - Guy Ritchie is a bit like an English Tarantino, and I think this is his best movie. It has great humour, an amazing story and extremely memorable characters and lines.

The Naked Gun series - Nonstop comedy. Even after watching it five times these movies are hilarious, and undoubtingly my favorite comedies!

So these are a few off the top of my head, I hope this thread goes somewhere because I'm always looking for good movies to watch.

Lazer team- rather good comedy. Not great, but good, especially if you want some time off things. 4 idiots+alien gear, what could go wrong?

Police academy movies (7 total)- classic comedy that just doesnt get old.

Lethal weapon movies- again, comedy. 2 cops, complete opposites. Heck yes

Singing revolution- documentary about singing revolution. Just watch it- its not boring documentary, especially if you are interested in history

and few estonian movies as well (might be bit harder to find, but ones i reccommend are well-known so shouldnt prove too difficult)

Klass (the class)- estonian movie focusing on school bullying & translated into many languages

Viimne Reliikvia (the last relic)- movie set in Estonia during livonian war (1558-1583) and one of most beloved estonian movies of all time. Its basically drama/action (i mean seriously, it has suprisingly lot of action). Also, soundtrack of this movie is regarded as one of the best ones in here, as it features many now-iconic songs ("vaba laps", "pistoda laul" & others). And thats not all- this movie has spawned numerous jokes that are still popular. I think only 1 other movie has influenced estonian culture that much (talking about it below).

Kevade (spring)- based on extremely popular novel with same name by Oskar Luts. Its the movie i mentioned above. The novel itself was based on Luts's own childhood memories he edited (so its semi-biography). This movie focuses on small Paunvere boarding school in 1880-s (Paunvere is fictional place, based on Palamuse area), with several interesting characters, that types you may even regognise yourself from school period.

This movie has also 2 sequels (both placed on novels with same name as well, as good as kevade if not even better)- Suvi (summer) & Sügis (autumn). As you may notice, this triology has continuation of theme, with Kevade focusing on childhood, Suvi on youth and Sügis in middle aged life eras. One remarkable thing- i know that at least main actors have grown with the movie series. Yes, that means that even despite the fact that Kevade was filmed in 1969 and Sügis in 1990 (i.e 21 years apart), main actors have stayed same. And yes, i mean every single one.

Klassikokkutulek (Class reunion)- no, its not related to "klass". Its comedy about, well, class reunion. Real funny.

1944- historical drama of Estonia in ww2. Interesting movie, watchable but rather average.

Nimed marmortahvlil (names in marble (sometimes translated as "names engraved in marble"))- historical drama set during estonian war of independence- lot better than 1944 in my opinion

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Some of my favorites:

The Iron Giant

Full Metal Jacket

Shutter Island

Zootopia

Interstellar

Apocalypse Now

12 Angry Men

Good Morning, Vietnam

the name's riley

Klass (the class)- estonian movie focusing on school bullying & translated into many languages

I just watched that and... holy fucking balls. Just... holy fucking balls, man. Wow. This was really friggin' good.

So I second that recommendation. If you're just not feeling depressed enough, give this movie a try.

And here are some more:

Metropolis - German silent movie from 1927, probably best known for the art style that has inspired every sci-fi universe ever. Still holds up surprisingly well I'd say, has beautiful cinematography and a pretty good message.

Blues Brothers - This is actually more of a musical, with some of the best Soul and Blues songs ever made. And great comedy too!

Gone in 60 Seconds - 70's B-Movie, which contains the longest car chase in cinematic history (40+ minutes IIRC). Excellent movie, with one of the best protagonists ever. Yes, I'm talking about Eleanor.

Tin Cup - Washed up golf pro tries the US Open. Even if you're not a sports/golf fan, I still recommend you watch this. It gets better every time you watch it.

Cube - Six complete strangers of widely varying personality characteristics are involuntarily placed in an endless kafkaesque maze containing deadly traps.

Phone booth - Contained spaced movie. Dude answers a ringing call in a phone booth (no way this movie would work nowadays) where he finds he's being blackmailed by a mysterious caller/sniper who has him in his sights.

The Prestige - A movie about the rivalry between two illusionists in 1900's London. Great performances by Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale and Michael Caine. I wouldn't call it underrated as much as unseen(which is really weird considering it's a Christopher Nolan film). If you like those movies which make your head go boom at the end and prompt you to rewatch at least once more, then this is the movie for you.

Also David Bowie plays Nikolai Tesla.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Prestige - A movie about the rivalry between two illusionists in 1900's London. Great performances by Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale and Michael Caine. I wouldn't call it underrated as much as unseen(which is really weird considering it's a Christopher Nolan film). If you like those movies which make your head go boom at the end and prompt you to rewatch at least once more, then this is the movie for you.

Also David Bowie plays Nikolai Tesla.

+1

To add: Every single scene, every line is important. Nothing's wasted.

Also, if you want, you could see it as Batman vs Wolverine.

Robocop - Classic cyberpunk action movie directed by Paul Verhoeven (Starship Troopers, Showgirls) about a cop turned cyborg searching for revenge, and his lost humanity. The sequel was pretty good too.

Videodrome - Trippy movie directed by David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners), about the owner of a private TV channel who is looking for something more hardcore for his viewers and finds a snuff show called Videodrome. However, in his search for the truth behind the show, he uncovers a pretty crazy conspiracy that involves using TV signals to induce hallucinations in people and using these hallucinations to control them. Pretty classic movie with amazing special effects and great performances by James Woods and Debbie Harry.

Blade Runner - Basically a noir detective movie but set in a futuristic version of Los Angeles, directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Legend) the movie defined the cyberpunk genre, both in terms of look and feel. It's about a detective named Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a so called Blade Runner who's job is to track down rogue Replicants, basically androids that work as slaves and are given a 2 year lifespan. Some of them rebel and escape, though in his pursuit of a particularly nasty group, he comes across a Replicant named Rachael (Sean Young) who challenges his perceptions of humanity, and even makes him question his own existence. It's one of the deepest movies I know, with an absolutely stunning look that was done entirely without CGI, and an unforgettable soundtrack by the legendary Vangelis who did a sort of blues-influenced synthesizer soundtrack that fits the movie perfectly.

Escape From New York - Director John Carpenter (Halloween, The Thing, They Live) offers us a vision of a future New York where the entire Island has been turned into a prison for the scum of the Earth, a hellish territory where only the strongest survive. Of course, the President (Donald Pleasence) has to end up getting captured inside the zone and it's up to war veteran Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) to save him. The movie has a very straight forward plot, but a lot of cool scenes, an amazing soundtrack and great performances. The movie also was one of the main inspirations for the Metal Gear games, with the protagonist's name Snake being a direct reference.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Dredd - Judge Dredd and a rookie officer are sent to investigate a megacity suspected of illicit drug activity. A very nice self-contained story with great practical effects.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Office Space - Three office workers decide to rebel against their greedy boss. Very funny comedy. If you enjoy Beavis and Butthead, or any other of Mike Judge's works, you'll love this.

Fight Club - An insomniac office worker meets up with a soap maker and form a fight club, which turns into something much more.

Idiocracy - Another movie by Mike Judge. It's scary, and sad just how true this comedy about how dumb America has gotten 500 years into the future. is becoming nowadays, and it's only ten years old. Basically it's Mike Judge's version of Futurama.

The Martian - An astronaut dies, then colonizes Mars, becomes a space pirate, causes a ship to mutiny, and finally becomes an instructor at NASA.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - The 1971 classic with Gene Wilder. One of my all-time favorites.

Deadpool - Because Deadpool. And Deadpool. Did I mention Deadpool? Deadpool.

Canadian Bacon - American hicks played by Canadian actors dis Canada, and America at the same time. Plenty of guns and politeness.

Dragnet - A 1987 spoof of the classic TV series, starring Dan Aykroyd.

The Hobbit trilogy - Is a fairly accurate portrayal of the book, with some added stuff that doesn't detract in any way.

Terminator Salvation - A murderer resurrected as a cyborg, ends up redeeming himself. It's actually quite good if you don't bother with any preconceptions.

The Narnia series - Either the original movies, or the new remakes... They are very good stories, and even better books.

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, Buster Keaton, and an accurate portrayal of classic Roman culture in a true comedy.

Star Trek - Wrath Of Khan, The Search For Spock, The Journey Home, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, Nemesis, Star Trek (2009) despite the lens flare, Into Darkness, Beyond.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

A Field in England: A B&W psychological historical thriller by director Ben Wheatley with a small cast of characters, an eccentric soundtrack and a penchant for breath-takingly weird editing and cinematography. Set during the English Civil War, the plot is a heady mixture of an alchemist's rivalry, deserters on the run, and a violent mass tapping into the mystical energy of the English soil, brought about about by eating some mysterious mushrooms and soon after literally unearthing a sinister Irish sorcerer out of the ground. The rather unassumingly nicknamed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLnRXtHO0M still haunts me and baffles me in equal measure.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Fight Club - An insomniac office worker meets up with a soap maker and form a fight club, which turns into something much more.

Seconded. Fight Club is by far my personal favorite movie.

Natural Born Killers - In a ruthless satire of the media's obsession with violence, Mickey and Mallory Knox are two outlaws who go on a cross-country killing spree, during which they generate a great deal of media attention and cult following.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

In the Heart of the Sea — Good action, superb visual effects, a story I got really invested in, and the ending was pretty good. I don't want to spoil much, it was really good. At least, I thought it was.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

eabec624d31fa708afd187cc733b3d1d.jpg

Sergio Leone's final film. It was butchered by the Ladd Company upon its 1984 U.S. release, and over two hours from the current version were cut. It should have gone down in history as a classic, but the shoddy release made it an obscurity.

My favorite gangster movie of all time. I and many others consider this movie to be better than The Godfather because it humanized the people it portrayed and refused to glorify them. It showed that gangsters were more than newspaper stories and Hollywood roles. That they were people who had thoughts, feelings, reasons, and stories. To date, there are few other films that capture that (Mean Streets, to name one other).

There are four lights!