Movie recommendations

Sign in to follow this  

I should be doing house work, but...well, you know how procrastination works...

I go back and forth on whether this is my favorite movie of all time(it's at least in my top 5), but it's definitely the most under-appreciated or simply unknown to many so here it is:

My Favorite British Heist Comedy: A Fish Called Wanda - this movie is like a machine gun of dry British and Python-esqe bizarre humor. A simple jewel heist going awry is the backdrop for this comedy. A couple members of the Monty Python gang (Micheal Palin and John Cleese) play fantastic multi-dimensional characters in addition to Jamie Lee Curtis' role as the oddly quirky, backstabbing femme fatale, but it's Kevin Kline's character is this comedy that will blow you away. Holy SH#T! As far as I can tell, he's never really played a role like this in the rest of his career, nothing like what he is today. He was born to play this role, which is probably why he won am Academy Award for it. This is my favorite performance by an actor, EVER!!! And I've seen quite a few movies. I won't ruin too much for you, but let's just say if you dropped a paranoid, Nietzsche-reading, politically incorrect, wildly overconfident, ex-CIA agent in London in the 80's. That's Kevin Kline's character and his performance is perfect and I STRONGLY recommend you watch this movie at least once in your life. The story is great, with many iconic and unforgettable scenes throughout including the climactic ending which is hilarious, exciting and very satisfying. I'll put it this way, you don't get stiffed at dessert. It was made and set in the 80s, but even though it looks a bit older, it's funnier then just about anything coming out of America or Britain right now.

And just because I really do have to get back to my housework...here are a grab bag of my other favorites, in no particular order or category.

Greatest Stop Motion Kid's Movie that's really for adults: Fantastic Mr. Fox

Medieval Slap Stick at it's Finest: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Pinnacle of Japanese Animation and Story-telling: Princess Mononoke

Best Documentary about Good things happening to good people: Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Best Action/adventure movie from the past: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) w/ Errol Flynn (seriously, they should have never made another Robin Hood movie after this one) except for Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I also recommend anything by Mel Brooks.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

Well for me these two are obvious recommendations:

The SHADOW (both the 1940 serials and the 1994 remake with Alec Baldwin)

The Shadow is the punisher with a purpose, the oldest vigilante crimefighter of them all, and a source for plagiarism with John Kane's batman (I kid you not, look it up). The Shadow is Lamont Cranston, mild-mannered billionaire and playboy about town. During his trip to Europe, he visited the Shroud, a sacred place where he learnt the secret to cloud men's minds and appear completely invisible to them, leaving only his SHADOW visible. With these powers, the Shadow strikes terror into the hearts of the wicked criminals of the 1930's-1950's.

If you are already a fan of the Shadow, you will know what to expect with this. If you've never heard of him before, well then prepare for the ultimate superhero.

The Phantom (1990's)

The Phantom is the ghost who walks, the man who can not die, the guardian of the jungles of Bengali. One of, if not the, oldest superheros in existence and a hero that magnificently bridges the line between cheesy and dark mature action. While he got his hay-days in the comic books, this particular film is a good starting off point for newcomers to the awesomeness of the Phantom. It's got good acting, great special effects, and the story is particularly competent at feeling both familiar and original at the same time. A solid recommendation

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis, Sed Nomine, tuo da Glorium

'The Shadow' and 'The Phantom'? I'm sensing a pattern here. Are The Phantom Menace and The Phantom of the Opera other movie recommendations?

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Recently, I've watched The Pianist & The King's Speech. Both are quite emotional but still amazing movies! Definitely shed a few tears. I just rented them from the iTunes store, but I'm wondering if there's a better/cheaper way? I don't know about you, but I am not a fan of illegal streaming, and have always suffered from finding a nice legal streaming service :(I've read a little bit about CanIstreamit, which looks kinda interesting as I like the idea of being told where the cheapest place is to watch movies :D Not that I am an expert, it just looked cool. Is anyone else using that site to find movies? Netflix seems okay, but as so many shows are leaving, I'm wondering if Amazon or Hulu is better.

Decisions!

gh0st_hunt

If you haven't seen Coco, it's well worth your time and money. Pixar is basically incapable of producing anything bad at this point.

the name's riley

The Disaster Artist.

Highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of comedy, Franco's impressions were great, but I suggest anyone who hasn't watched The Room watch that first and then The Disaster Artist immediately after. You'll enjoy it much more on account of seeing it.

PS: If you do watch The Room, have a few drinks and preferably watch it with friends who're in it for a goof, because it is a hilariously bad movie. I also would find a way to get it for free or as cheap as possible since I wouldn't give Tommy Wiseau money, but that's just me. Do your own thing.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus