Nintendo Switch

So the NX has been revealed, officially known as Nintendo Switch. Reveal trailer can be seen here:

f5uik5fgIaI

Knowing me, I'll be using it more as a handheld than a home console, even when I'm home.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

A friend sent me the video.

I'd say that's pretty neat, though I'll take this with a grain of salt, just in case

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

None of my friends who used to be bigger Nintendo fans have been very pleased with Nintendo lately. They've been lagging behind Sony and Microsoft when originally they were ahead when it came to consoles.

They're leading with Handhelds (which one of my friends thinks is what they'll end up going towards if their consoles don't pick up again), but that's about it.

Unless they announce a whole bunch of actually awesome-looking games besides the new Zelda to go along with this (ideally good Third party content), they're not interested. They're going with Sony, actually.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

In theory I think it looks awesome. I love the concept of being able to have the same experience on the go, given the battery life is decent. It all depends on what games are gonna be on it though for me. I'm not at all interested in Zelda or Mario, but a decent first person shooter might get me sold on it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

In theory I think it looks awesome. I love the concept of being able to have the same experience on the go, given the battery life is decent. It all depends on what games are gonna be on it though for me. I'm not at all interested in Zelda or Mario, but a decent first person shooter might get me sold on it.

dying genre, don't count on it

if they release a new metroid i'll buy it

the name's riley

If I can play Fallout 4 or Skyrim on it I'm sold.

If I can play Fallout 4 or Skyrim on it I'm sold.

Skyrim remastered is going to be on it

the name's riley

According to this article here http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-20-nintendo-switch-officially-revealed Bethesda hasn't officially confirmed Skyrim Remastered for the Nintendo Switch. This smells a bit of false advertising since Skyrim footage was featured in the Nintendo Switch's first look video.

Update 2: While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said. Skyrim Remastered is set to launch on October 28 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC; perhaps the Switch will receive a version of the Remastered game at launch?

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

According to this article here http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-20-nintendo-switch-officially-revealed Bethesda hasn't officially confirmed Skyrim Remastered for the Nintendo Switch. This smells a bit of false advertising since Skyrim footage was featured in the Nintendo Switch's first look video.

Update 2: While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said. Skyrim Remastered is set to launch on October 28 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC; perhaps the Switch will receive a version of the Remastered game at launch?

A foul up right out of the gate, not good.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

It's not as much as a foul as it is publishers being dicks. For example, with the Wii U:

It was supposed to get Metro: Last Light, but THQ went bankrupt midway through development and Deep Silver didn't keep THQ's promises.

It was supposed to get recent EA titles, but they bailed pretty much immediately when they saw that it didn't sell as many consoles as they hoped and its weird control scheme and PowerPC CPU meant pouring a lot more effort into ports.

It was supposed to get Ubisoft titles, and they tried at the start with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Rayman Legends, but then bailed like EA.

But as far as Nintendo knows, they have given dev kits to those companies and specific games were developed for it - they just weren't completed. So it isn't Nintendo lying to you, it's just giving you the information it has.

The Switch fortunately has a far more common (AArch64) CPU and a more orthodox control scheme, so it should be alright, I hope.

It was supposed to get Ubisoft titles, and they tried at the start with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Rayman Legends, but then bailed like EA.

Deus Ex HR wasn't a UbiSoft title... It was published by Square Enix...

Personally the lack of support from third parties is the reason I never got the WiiU. And so far I haven't seen a single game on it that made me want to get one. And since the Switch seems to have better support right off the bat I'm more tempted to just skip it and get a Switch.

It's not necessarily false advertising yet. Bethesda at least shows interest in the console so I remain hopeful.

Deus Ex HR wasn't a UbiSoft title... It was published by Square Enix...

You're completely right, had a brain fart.

Yeah both Bethesda and 2K had comments that were 99% identical. That tells me they have a NDA with Nintendo.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

So how many non-Nintendo games will the Switch have? I'd love to buy one, but would probably only play Zelda and Mario Kart :D

The good thing about the Switch is that I won't be able to buy it at release so I can't jump the gun on it.

My biggest concern is how... mandatory the gimmicks on it are. The WiiU pushed more than a few people away if only because they didn't have any use for the screen.

Too few good games at release for me to be willing to buy.

Nearly half of the release titles you can get somewhere else for another system for a better price (and in the cases with a PC, much better quality than anything the Switch will be able to do if you have a decent rig), or have been able to do so for years, and that basically only leaves a handful of titles that test of the gimmicks of the Switch, a couple old IPs they're trying to revitalize, and Breath of the Wild (which isn't even a Switch exclusive).

Its only made me think I'll do the exact same thing I did with the PS4: Wait nearly a year for a price drop and a substantial library of games to choose from and to browse over all the content around them, and then consider buying it.

The added bonus being that by then, likely any hardware or software problems will be fixed if they do come up.

Besides, I already have a backlog of games to go through, I don't need more on top of that right now.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus