Do you share my pet peeve?

(just a friendly forewarning, I couldn't decide if this was a better fit for the Free-For-All or Forum Games subforums, I settled on the former due to the hope that this will engender some discussion)

Do we have pet peeves and personal bugbears in common? Thinking about this recently I decided to create a topic that would be something like a cross between Jeb's Discuss your Opinion thread and nomogoodnames' Vent thread - which has been a rather busy topic of late! ;p The aim of the thread is to post a short-ish description (if you need to write more, feel free to) of some pet peeve you have. The next person to post needs to then confirm or deny sharing that particular frustration (feel free to describe your reasoning) as well as offering up another pet peeve for the next poster, and so on ad infinitum. If you would also be so kind as to number your latest pet peeve, so that future users can continue putting the world to rights and comment on past subjects, without disrupting the "forum game" ethos of the thread.

Pet Peeve #1: I hate it when people who were born late in a particular decade wax lyrical about and nostalgically reminiscence a year they were certainly too young to recall. I was born in 1987, yet I'm always hearing people my age or slightly less unironically calling themselves a "child of the 80's" as if they were caught up in the stylistic and cultural zeitgeist of the decade. As far as I'm concerned if you were born between '85 and '89, you weren't there! I understand some people recall their childhood more clearly than others, personally I can barely remember the 90's, but surely latter-day 80's babies like me were too busy chewing furniture and recklessly touching open plug sockets to notice any of the 80's idiosyncrasies?

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

In Response: I kinda disagree? As someone born in 1999, I'm not a "90s kid" but I might as well be because I still remember everything my sister had who was born 1991. Somebody says; "Lol, 1999? You don't count. You couldn't even talk!" Yeah but it's not like everything in the 90s was completely abolished by 2001. Guess it goes the same for the 80s. Born in 1987 but still remember stuff from 1980? Some people just have a bad memory I guess. XD But you can still pick up 1980 culture from 1990. You know... From those people who try to be cool. The people who bring typewriters to class.

Pet Peeve #2: Is it bad for me to get snappy when somebody tries to talk to me as I'm blatantly ignoring them? They were listening to music, so I threw my earphones in and listened to my own. Then they stopped their music and tried to talk to me. Why?? Did it not look like I was ignoring them enough? Is it wrong to not want to be talked to or not want to talk at all? Blagh!

Also brilliant post idea, SelfSurprising. Guess you could say you... surprised me with this one. B)

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Kinda agree, I'd say it's more due to my introvertedness and anti social skills. I would be listening to music, and someone would start talking to me, without prompting, or me acknowledging that I'm listening, and so I don't catch the first half of what they said, so I ask them to repeat. That or I'm not very interested in someone but they're interested in me (doesn't help that they're the kind of person who's interested in everyone) so every chance they get, they talk to me, ask me questions and whatnot. Usually "what have you been up to?" Which, of course my response is "video games".

We have like one or two similar interests, and due to his upbringing, he's a sensitive guy and oblivious to a lot of things, so bringing up that I watched Deadpool, or Akira, or played Mortal Kombat XL (not that I have, just using it as an example) means having to explain all these things what anime is, why Deadpool kills, explain why Deadpool won't stop killing because it's wrong, what I mean by Scorpion and Sub Zero are fighting, etc. etc. Not to mention, all the violence would turn him green in a second. So, I choose to be as vague as possible, and I really sound disinterested.

Pet Peeve #3: Beatboxing. It's just noise. Non stop noise. It's like, trying to sleep at 3 P.M., you're exhausted, but you have to deal with people chatting away on their phones speaker on, car honking, jack hammering, dog barking, loud music, people chewing with their mouths open, people tapping their fingers, and so on. Oh and every sound is magnified in your tired state.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

@PsychoticNinja: Just to clarify, your peeve is with people's inconsiderate noisiness rather than just beatboxing/b-boying specifically? I enjoy vocal percussive stuff in hip-hop, but there is definitely a time and place for it. Same goes to those people who consider walking through council estates at 2:00 am and screaming their bastardized near-human language at each other a perfectly normal and reasonable thing to do. I'd support a gobshite genocide. Assuming I've understood you correctly then I'm one-hundred percent with you in regards to being vexed with other people's noise.

Pet Peeve #4: When people say something along the lines "old art is better than modern art" and then proceed to present an abstract expressionist painting from the 1950's (or something older still, like a cubist image from THE 1920's) as if it were inconsolable proof of their (entirely imaginary) incredible insight and critical faculties. I fully accept that a person might not subjectively like abstract or minimalist art (the two particular genres that raise the most ire in misinformed art haters) but anybody even remotely informed about the 20th-21st century can tell you that these two particular tropes are a fragment of the aesthetic diversity in the multifaceted field of art making and theory. You don't even need to be interested in art as a subject to grasp that!

Maybe I'm just a bit more heavily invested in this because mainstream antagonism towards contemporary is so obviously and demonstrably unwarranted, and the accusations leveled at the medium by those people are, to me, obviously and demonstrably wrong. If they are going to do the whole "art then/art now hyup hyup hyup" gaff, they should at least actually find some work by a contemporary artist - as in, created within the last two or three years! Maybe even pick an artwork created in 2016! They've still got nearly two months left! Or maybe they shouldn't bother at all. Because for any supposedly archetypal example they gleefully imagine represents "all modern art" I could present them with about five hundred examples of something entirely different in a heartbeat.

Also brilliant post idea, SelfSurprising. Guess you could say you... surprised me with this one. B)

Thanks for the kind acknowledgement Jeb! :3 The forums seemed like they could do with some more positivity lately, so naturally I decided to create yet another thread about random complaints icon_lol.gif Seriously though, I hope the thread makes people feel more included than excluded.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Beatboxing as a whole/in general I find annoying.

@art related pet peeve: Can't really say I share the same peeve, don't have much experience.

Pet Peeve #5: lolrandom/bizarre animation. I just can't get into shows like Uncle Grandpa because of just how bizzare it is. There's also the Gmod like animation style in SFM animations. (And Gmod animations of course). I might have an exception or two, like Baman and Piderman, but that's an exception.

@PsychoticNinja: I think the internet is inundated with spazzy animation, but if I'm honest with myself I actually find it a lot funnier than my critical tendencies would otherwise allow. I don't think I'll ever be able to shrug off the soft spot I have for animators like Oney Cartoons and Egoraptor. By far the greatest parody of artfully and deliberately "bad flash animation" has to be David Firth's Jerry Jackson stuff. The affected illiteracy of the protagonist, the willful awfulness of the aesthetics and just the general tone of Northern English grimness somehow equates into one of the genuinely funny series on the internet. I guess I'm just nostalgic for a certain clique of Newgrounds animators from back in the day.

PLUDE1fTFCQ

Pet Peeve #6: Don't you hate it when you can't think of anything pertinent, clever, divisive, funny enough for a thread about pet peeves?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I can think of one:

Pet Peeve #7 Don't you hate it when a good idea slips away before you can put it down on paper? It happens. Poems, lyric ideas, answers to my quizzes, all gone before they could see a paper. Just yesterday, I have this riff idea for guitar with a Black Sabbath kind of ring to it. I had it thought out while I'm on the bus home, but by the time I got to my guitar to record it, I forgot!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Welp, now what?

^ Yes. All of my yes.

This happens to me too on occassion, and it's especially annoying since I have writing as a hobby. Just when you think of an awesome new story to write - BAM! You forgot it already. This almost always makes me sad and disappointed :<

Pet Peeve #8: Whenever someone sings out loud the music that I hate THE MOST (in my case it's Russian rap). Almost always makes me want to tell them to shut up, or punch them in the face. Not helping that most people who like to do that are ALMOST ALWAYS DUMB AND IDIOTIC AS HELL AND WILL HARASS YOU WITH INSULTS AND ATTEMPT TO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOU IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR TASTES

*sigh* Sorry, went a little crazy there. I do know some people who listen to that kind of music and aren't assholes about it, and I tolerate them just fine

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

^ That's basically me and beatboxing.

PP #9: Talking on your phone via speaker mode. Net everyone needs to hear your conversation. It's even worse when I'm working, and helping a customer who's doing it.

^ This makes sleeping in the bus on my way home a complete bitch.

Peeves # 10: I think you might relate to this, Psychotic Ninja: If anyone interrupts me for any stupid reason while I'm eating or busy with work, (School work or house errands etc.) there will be hell. I fucking hate being interrupted while I'm busy. One interruption, and there may be F bombs, depending on what I'm doing.

Welp, now what?

@ AP_Pastor: I'm lucky enough to live above a shop, and that my front door is inaccessible to postmen, door-to-door salesmen, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. Generally interruptions aren't something I hate, though getting a phone call when you're right in the middle of brushing your teeth or you have a mouth full of food only to find out that it's a cold-call from somewhere in deepest darkest India inquiring whether or not a "miss Ben Harris" (< not a typo, the amount of times I've been asked this...) lives at my address. S/he might!

Pet Peeve #11: When you're playing the game Animal, Vegetable or Mineral with friends and family, and you just know that someone will get one of the animal kingdom's wrong.

Me: Is it an animal?

Answerer: Yes.

Me: Is it a mammal?

Answerer: Errrrr, no.

Me: Is it a bird?

Answerer: No.

Me: Is it a reptile?

Answerer: What's a reptile?

Me: Snakes, lizards, turtles, that kind of thing.

Answerer: No, definitely no.

Me: Is it a fish?

Me: Great! Is it a big fish?

Me: Bigger than a car?

Answerer: Yes, think really big.

Me: Is it the biggest fish in the world?

Answerer: Yes they are.

Me: Ooh I know! It's a whale shark!

Answerer: Nope!

Me: What?!

Someone else entirely (probably my mum): Is it a whale?

Answerer: Yes! You win!

Me: WHALESAREN'TFISH WHALESAREN'TFISH WHALESAREN'TFISH!!!!

Disclaimer: I'm officially banned from playing Animal, Vegetable or Mineral with my family.

Pet Peeve #8: Whenever someone sings out loud the music that I hate THE MOST (in my case it's Russian rap). Almost always makes me want to tell them to shut up, or punch them in the face. Not helping that most people who like to do that are ALMOST ALWAYS DUMB AND IDIOTIC AS HELL AND WILL HARASS YOU WITH INSULTS AND ATTEMPT TO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOU IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR TASTES

*sigh* Sorry, went a little crazy there. I do know some people who listen to that kind of music and aren't assholes about it, and I tolerate them just fine

When I was informed that white supremacist hip-hop was an actual and not totally made-up thing in Russia, I just about died of amusement. Nothing screams "Aryan pride" like extremely derivative gangster rap!

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Can't say I share the Animals, Vegetables, Minerals pet peeve, it's been years since I've played that game. I'm probably guilty of that, or a similar mistake. @Pastor, I've had similar experiences to that, so yeah, I relate. Just not as extreme.

PP #12: Pronunciation. I'll just have this video explain it:

tBUzngDUOnk

^ I fully agree with folks annoyance when subjected to pronunciation snobbery. As a Midlands man I'm not insensitive to the cultural cachet that burdens my regions accent - Brummies (and by extension the rest of the West Midlands, by northern/southern English logic) are typically stereotyped as being affably stupid and occasionally nicknamed "Yam Yams" due to our ingrained habit of saying "yow" for "you", specifically "yowam" instead of "you are/I am". Here in Tamworth we also tend to say "dint it" instead of enunciating "didn't it" the consensually proper way.

It strikes me as yet another strain of grammar/spelling fascism, and lord knows the internet doesn't need more of that. As far as I'm my yams and dints are part of the natural order of my post-industrial environment. Sod anyone who doesn't like my yampy minkie twang!

PP #13: Musical elitism in anyone over the age of thirty. Most of us grow out of that mental toss by the time we leave high school, yet you're a thirty-something still extolling the virtues "trve blakk metvl" over everything else because you've become unimaginative and conservative. I love black metal too! Liking something is not a skill! Stop basting yourself in self-important and smug pretense and actually have a peep a few feet from the vat of your subjective taste.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

^This is why I avoid comments whenever I wanna listen to some music in YouTube. The worse I've encountered was the Jim Smith. On most Genesis videos, usually the Phil Collins era ('76-'92), this dude would spam the comments with stuff like "PHIL SUCKS, PETER GABRIEL AND STEVE HACKETT FOREVER" "GENESIS DIED WHEN PETER AND STEVE LEFT (something like that)". If anyone would tell him to STFU, he goes ballistic. I wouldn't even say he's trying be a music elite, if I may borrow the British term, he's simply a bloody git.

PP#14: I hate that I can only crank out better schoolworks past midnight. While the deadline rush helps in a way (kinda like adrenaline), i hate that i have to sacrifice sleep. For example, I have a school report to make. One day before the report proper, in the morning and afternoon, I might do some bit of work, just taking my time. By the time the clock says 1 am, that's the time my brain kicks in, and i'll be trying to type away til 5AM, by then, I had to get ready for school I've had a lot of all-nighters last semester doing this, even skipped my 1st and last two classes once just so I can sleep in the canteen. I'm tried my damnedest to change my sleeping pattern with little avail.

Welp, now what?

Sounds like you're a night owl. For me, I did my best if I saved my homework for the last minute. Although, I don't share that pet peeve. I can look back and laugh at the situation though.

PP#15: You're gaming online, a casual match, you're enjoying yourself, and some asshat joins, and starts ordering everyone around, and if you're off by one nanosecond, or make the slightest mistake, he gets really angry at everyone, makes shit worse for you guys, and leaves.

^ Whilst I have no firsthand experience of the kind of people you're talking about because I don't do online gaming, but I imagine if I did I'd wholeheartedly agree with you. Nothing ruins any game quicker than a community or fanbase who treat it as a matter of life and death. I'm torn between wishing that those people would dispense their passions into something worthwhile like art, politics, spirituality, etc - and hoping that people that indefensibly stupid never go anywhere near any recognizably human endeavour.

PP #16: Just a minor one this time. Are you familiar with that feeling when somebody beats you to a specific post in a thread game that you would've really really liked to have replied to? And you slightly (albeit temporarily) resent the person who pipped you to the post?

if I may borrow the British term, he's simply a bloody git.

We have worse terms than that for those kinds of people (;p feel free to appropriate my homelands many idioms).

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

@AP_Pastor, glad to know I'm not the only one who borrows 'bloody X' from the British.

@Selfsurprise: Yes, yes I have. Especially when I the post I had in mind was so bloody brilliant and it's ruined because I didn't see the extra post on the next page, or someone outninja'd me.

PP#17: You're looking for advice on something, from someone, or help on something (like in a video game) and the response you get is something along the lines of "git gud" or "it's up to you man" or my personal favorite, that my dad loves to use nowadays is "Do I look like Google to you?"

@PP#15: I actually don't mind. Usually when your team has someone commanding and in charge like that, that team always wins. From my experience at least. And I'm good at following orders so I never get told off. XD I enjoy listening to them blasting everyone else. I don't condone it. But it's amusing seeing someone get so salty.

^ Oh yeah. I ask for people for answers all the time instead of using Google because I prefer that one-to-one communication with people where.. if I don't understand something, I can ask a question and not have to type out something and go looking for my answer. Way more convenient. Just unfortunately some people don't like helping out? >.>

PP#18: You think people care but then you realize they really don't... Like, I join back on a Discord server I used to frequently talk on. I think two people recognized I was back... and the rest just kinda ignored me. :I I was told by one of the server members that; "You're missed" and that "They haven't forgotten you". But would you look at that! XD It was all a lie. Nobody gives a shit about me! Wonderful!

And the two people that noticed I was back were like; "Oh hi." ...And that's it. That's literally it. No; "where have you been?" or "are you alright?". Maybe I'm expecting too much of people...

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Yeah that's annoying. What's worse is when someone you have a crush on shows signs that they like you too, but next week they act like A) They don't know you or B) You're just friends, and then next time: They're back to flirting with you and/or asking questions like "How are you?" "How's y our week going?" "Any plans this weekend?" "You still working at X?" among other friendly things, and they're even smiling when they see you, wave at you, etc. etc.

PP#19: Teachers who have homework during long weekends/breaks. You do realize pretty much no one's going to do the homework, right?