DLC

Sign in to follow this  

No... Not really, I haven't played it but, it got 15% in my gamers mag and it's a full-priced game

Horse armour DLC? I only knew of The Shivering Isles Expansion and Knights of the Nine. Which BTW were AMAZING pieces of DLC, especially The Shivering Isles.

They came out afterwards. The Horse Armour was an early example of DLC and was I believe infamously controversial.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I prefer RBC over DLC by the way; retail-buyable content. Like the good old expansion packs for Quake 2 or HalfLife. With that method of distribution developers as well as publishers actually had to put effort into the content, DLC gives room for laziness and scamming customers.

I prefer RBC over DLC by the way; retail-buyable content. Like the good old expansion packs for Quake 2 or HalfLife. With that method of distribution developers as well as publishers actually had to put effort into the content, DLC gives room for laziness and scamming customers.

I agree. Those expansion packs were almost like games in of themselves.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I agree. Those expansion packs were almost like games in of themselves.

But those expansions were games weren't they? I payed the same price for them as a normal game

Depends on the circumstance. If it's something that SHOULD HAVE been in the game in the first place, it sucks. (Like "Broken Steel" for Fallout 3 or "Kasumi: Stolen Memory" for Mass Effect 2) If it's a genuinely new last minute idea, ok. (Like "Lair of the Shadow Broker" for Mass Effect 2 or "The Pitt" from Fallout 3.)

And of course what EA does with the Sims is messed up. I swear they must keep a lot of content out of the base game and then release it later in expansions. For example: Anything with pets is always withheld for a while even though it's the most popular. They don't include it in the base game because people enjoy it and they want to milk them for more. Not to mention their little store thing, where others say they held content from Sims 3 to fill the store and get more money.

But those expansions were games weren't they? I payed the same price for them as a normal game

Here they were considerably cheaper on day 1 than the base game.

DLCs pretty hit or miss for me. Mass Effect 2 did an outstanding job utilizing it, giving us everything from cool new gear to entire story expansions that lead us into Mass Effect 3, all of which are very well done and fun to play. On the other end of the spectrum you've got Fable 3. The first few bits of DLC they put out included an extra dye pack, some new outfits, and the "Understone" quest pack. They released these gradually over the month or two after the game's release. Why was that a problem? They accidentally put it all on the XBL marketplace an hour before the game officially went on sale, then hurridely took it down a little later. Whoops.

I really don't mind DLC's unless they make they game almost unplayable for those who don't purchase them. Take Killzone 2 for example. Overall about 6 DLC maps, and every server with those maps in their rotations are unavailable for a vanilla player, making matchmaking a possible difficulty for them.

Bad Company 2 suffers a bit from this as well, with the VIP maps, but on the flipside, without DLC there would have never been a Vietnam add-on, which is great fun in hardcore mode.