Realm of the Mad God

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Well the results from the reddit thread where people could vote on what game to replace Planetside 2 seem to be overwhelmingly in favor of Realm of the Mad God. I actually have no experience in this game other than running it for 5 minutes to confirm it was working. Lots of players seem to think it won't matter if you're a new player or not, we'll find out how true that is. In any event, if you're starting fresh, I will be too. Hopefully the gameplay will be conducive to lots of people being able to join in where I am. Join in on twitch.tv/rossbroadcast on January 21st 2pm EST if you're interested in following / playing with me.

I want to emphasize that unlike Planetside, I will NOT be making a tutorial for this game or providing help, so if you need it, you'll have to consult the rest of the internet on it. It looks like the runner up was Unreal Tournament 2004, which I might be interested in doing sessions of later on anyway.

The latest videos are delayed, but are still coming. I would give time estimates, but the latest Game Dungeon became more involved than I thought it would. It should definitely still be this month.

COMMENTS

I have heard the name of this game but i have no idea what its about or anything i have been on a binge of grand strategy games as of late.

Back by popular demand!

Unreal Tournament 2004, which I might be interested in doing sessions of later on anyway.

Good enough for me.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

Alright, since I have experience playing the game for a while now, I guess I should be providing help. Although anyone else who want to help with that is welcome too

So, for those who never played Realm of the Mad God but want to start playing: I highly recommend registering, because otherwise you won't be able to chat with others, and it'll be very hard to recognise you if you're from here. The username holds up to 10 characters.

You begin the game by playing the tutorial section of the game, where the basics will be explained. It doesn't cover everything, though, so here are some links to help you get more familiar with the game.

Getting Started

Frequently Asked Questions

Tips from the game chat

How To Stay Alive

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

Alright, since I have experience playing the game for a while now, I guess I should be providing help.
Here's the first question. What does "permadeath" mean in context of RotMG? What exactly is lost when the character dies?

Here's the first question. What does "permadeath" mean in context of RotMG? What exactly is lost when the character dies?

If you die, you lose your character and every item that was on him, and whatever fame (think of it as the currency in RotMG) you acquired with this character will get added to the total amount of it. You can create another character, but you have to start from scratch.

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

So, I've played this game for two hours, and seriously, what the hell is the point of it? Nothing's jumping out at me with regards to story, art design, music, or gameplay depth. It feels spiritually similar to the 2008 flash game Boxhead: The Zombie Wars with mouse aiming, multiplayer, and no fun.

So, I've played this game for two hours, and seriously, what the hell is the point of it? Nothing's jumping out at me with regards to story, art design, music, or gameplay depth. It feels spiritually similar to the 2008 flash game Boxhead: The Zombie Wars with mouse aiming, multiplayer, and no fun.

The point? Uh... Get better, defeat bad guys and get epic loot?

Music: TBH, there is only one music track, and it gets boring and repetitive after a while.

As for the story: there is an Excuse Plot, where you have to defeat Oryx the Mad God, and there's also some lore if you look closely. The rest is up to interpretation, I guess. Heck, there is a fan Lore section on RealmEye.com

And if you check the site: there is a lot more gameplay depth than you think. Plenty of dungeons and each of them is different and most of them require different approach, multiple selection of classes... Heck, there are unique items and sometimes events are held (which didn't happen when Kabam!, which can burn in eternal flames of Hell, owned it back then). There is quite a bit more content than what you can see in 2 hours.

...And hold on. How the heck is this game similar to Boxhead? I mean, sure, both are top-down shooters, aaaand... both are on Adobe Flash, but that's it >_>

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

...And hold on. How the heck is this game similar to Boxhead? I mean, sure, both are top-down shooters, aaaand... both are on Adobe Flash, but that's it >_>

That's pretty much what I meant. It's a top down shooter with some upgrades, and I can't think of any higher level of complexity I can use to describe it. Of the positive reviews, I see many claims that it's good and has depth. And that's about it, faith based raves that the game "has depth and you can get better at it, trust me, I am a person on the internet with an opinion."

It has, what, different terrain and attack patterns is what you're saying? Well, ok, but "Don't shoot the eggs in the nest." is not the kind of sublime complexity that can make up for being ugly and without narrative. I suspect this is yet another example of the game being the playerbase.

So, I've played this game for two hours, and seriously, what the hell is the point of it? Nothing's jumping out at me with regards to story.

What kind of story were you expecting from RotMG, an MMO top down shooter to have? Planetside 2 wasn't exactly Planescape: Torment either.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

So, I've played this game for two hours, and seriously, what the hell is the point of it? Nothing's jumping out at me with regards to story.

What kind of story were you expecting from RotMG, an MMO top down shooter to have? Planetside 2 wasn't exactly Planescape: Torment either.

You're right, it would have been pretty silly of me to be so negative if it were the only element missing from an otherwise awesome game. Thing is, you turned a comma into a period there. My statement was that the game seemed hit zero of the marks worth being interested in. Now if someone had said "Oh, I bet you charged off into the woods following quest markers, and that's no way to have fun. You'll have a BLAST if you...."

Near as I can tell the community of this mmo can't seem to express why they like it. Quite a few say it's bad and give it a thumbs up, haw haw.

Okay, I've played this game for a couple of hours and I must say that I'm NOT impressed. I have no frigging idea why it got the most votes on Reddit.

Maybe playing along with Ross will add some fun.

Okay guys, I think I found the reason why we had to play this crap yesterday. Apparently someone posted this agitprop on the RotMG section of Reddit, which promptly caused a stream of RotMG fanboys running to /r/accursedfarms and overwhelming the vote in their favor.

I'm pretty sure that 95% of people who voted for this poor man's MMO didn't even attend the Ross's game session.

Democracy at its finest.

Well, that's yet another confirmation that the RotMG community is pretty toxic

But at least you guys won't have to play it again

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

So different game next month?

I watched the recording, and from what I see number of people in this play session is below 50, so like Ross said, this opens up many options for other multiplayer games.

I would suggest Renegade X or Savage Resurrection.

Both games are free.

Renegade X can take safely take 50 players per server (makes it 25v25 match).

Savage Resurrection can take 32 players per server (16v16), but also allows one player to play as commander who builds base and commands other players in RTS mode. I would love to be a soldier in Ross' army.

Both games need a bit of tweaking to run on toaster computers, and both of them are not exactly bug-free.

However both of them can provide incredible amount of fun in most cases.

Example matches of those games:

wNuS3_Um4kc

yf8GVayBL88

I imagine that Ross would like them, but he probably hasn't even heard of them.

Since his inbox is probably very much filled up, I won't send him any mail, but if anyone wants to point out my suggestion, I would be very grateful.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I don't mind communities advocating for a game I don't like. Not that anyone anywhere ever explained in any detail why they thought game was good, but it's still not a problem.

The problem, which I hope is apparent by now, is that online voting and reputation systems are less than worthless. You're more likely to get a bad result than with random choice. I suggest discontinuing the use of Reddit to solicit opinion.

I missed the live stream but prior to it I did download the game and have a little play through; it was fun for about half an hour but it didn't really grab my interest. The community on Steam, on reddit and the in game chat did seem a little out-there, but it is what it is. I've just skipped through some chunks of the broadcast and Ross didn't seem too fussed on the game either.

UT2004 was mentioned a few times and I think that'll be the next game. I've played more of the original UT and I loved that game, but I do have UT2004 on my Steam list so I might brush up a bit and see if I can make the next live play session (though I usually miss them due to my own forgetfulness)

I've played more of the original UT and I loved that game
I prefer UT99 as well (in fact I still haven't seen any multiplayer FPS game that even comes close in terms of atmosphere, dynamic gameplay, sense of drive etc. - maybe aside from Quake 3, but IMHO UT99 wins this battle because of its great music, beautiful art design, and well thought-out weapons).

I almost didn't play UT2003 at all, because it didn't bring anything new and just felt like an inferior copy of UT99. But the Onslaught mode of 2004 is really something else. It's just so well designed, well balanced, and fun to play that it's dangerous. Ross once said that he dumped more hours into UT2004 Onslaught than in any other game and it may have altered his life, and I can say the same about myself.