Are games overpriced?

I never played any Halo or CoD game before. This year will make me buy more games than normally, I started with Dead Space 2 and next up will probably be Crysis 2, depends on how quickly it falls in price. I'm also interested in Bulletstorm.

You shouldn't buy Black Ops or ODST. They suck.

But you SHOULD buy the Fallout games.

What's wrong with Halo 3: ODST? I thought it was their strongest entry in the series (story wise, anyway).

Not to mention the fact that they had 3 principal cast members of Firefly as squad members.

Anyway, I think games shouldn't exceed the $60 price range. $50 dollars was pretty pricey in my mind when it still was $50.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

It wouldn't matter about the price, as long as the game is worth it!

Well, sometimes not even the best games are worth their initial price.

I agree. I wan't play Alpha Protocol already, and I can't because it's a bit to expensive for me still

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I agree. I wan't play Alpha Protocol already, and I can't because it's a bit to expensive for me still

I found that on sale at GameStop the other day for PC. Rather cheap actually.

Where I live it's not :C

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

You're not just buying a game for your enjoyment, you're indirectly supporting the development team and the publisher behind the game and their efforts. Despite games not being of tangible value the work that goes into them is enormous. But even the bestest games in the world may be crippled by anti-customer measures imposed by the publisher. Such circumstances automatically mean I will spend as little above 0 for a copy as I can find. The money you spend simultaneously casts votes, vote for the products/services you endorse, don't just blindly drop loads of money on something just for the entertainment value alone.

Publishers are like children, we need to discipline them and raise them up to be good citizens, tell them what is good and what is bad.

Yes games are overpriced, generally. Indie developers have proven that you don't need a 60 dollar price tag to make huge profits. Minecraft anyone?

Minecraft anyone?

No.

When it comes to DRM, if I am inconvenienced more than just once at install, I don't buy the game. I'm trying to spread this mentality, but it's kind of hard when people would obey the law if it told them to jump off a cliff into a vat of razor blades.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Minecraft anyone?

No.

When it comes to DRM, if I am inconvenienced more than just once at install, I don't buy the game. I'm trying to spread this mentality, but it's kind of hard when people would obey the law if it told them to jump off a cliff into a vat of razor blades.

What does Minecraft have to do with DRM? I was saying Minecraft is a 20 dollar game that was more profitable than many 60 dollar games.

Do you really think so? I'd love to see some real world numbers to back that up.

Do you really think so? I'd love to see some real world numbers to back that up.

Quoted from wikiped:

By April 2011, Persson estimated that Minecraft had made €23 million (US$33 million) in revenue

That's 33 million dollars over what I can only guess is a three to four digit cost to make.

That information is meaningless without context. What did some of the AAA games make, weighing the development costs?

Ok. I can't find any solid numbers for both budget and sales on any big games. (Except record setters like CoD) They seem to be protective of that info for some reason.

Though, I'd guess no multimillion dollar game comes close to a 6000 to 1 profit, seeing as at a budget of 1 million, that would be 6 billion dollars.

Modern Warfare 2. Who the hell prices a game at its release price 2 YEARS LATER?

(I just checked the price on Steam, thankfully it dropped in the last month or so, but still, that was a long time)

Modern Warfare 2. Who the hell prices a game at its release price 2 YEARS LATER?

(I just checked the price on Steam, thankfully it dropped in the last month or so, but still, that was a long time)

When i was in the store a few days ago i actually saw World at war for 50€ and Black ops for 45€ lol. They sure want to suck ALL the money they can out of it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The CoD games sell like bacon crisps though, mostly for the multiplayer I imagine.

Yeah, but that's only because most people don't realize how much better the Battlefield series is for MP.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The CoD games sell like bacon crisps though, mostly for the multiplayer I imagine.

Yeah, but that's only because most people don't realize how much better the Battlefield series is for MP.

It all has to do with popularity really and what people play in an area. THe more people that play CoD, the more people are gonna get it because others play it. We're like sheep that way.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com